Tarp
    DCF
    Insulation
    Grey Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Lesson Learned: Never Work Angry & Always Use a Bead

During a move about 5 years ago I managed to pull one the attached whoopie slings on my bridge hammock into itself. This is my every night sleeper but I've never used the whoopies as I hook a carabiner directly to the dog bones and then to a stand. Because of this I've never bothered to fix it.

On a whim, after splicing up some lines for a new tarp today, I decided to try to coax that whoopie sling back out of itself. I figured if I couldn't coax it out I'd just cut it off and splice on a new one as my skills are fresh. After 15 minutes of failure my blood was a bit up so immediately out comes the strap cutter. I grabbed what I was certain was the eye of the whoopie and cut. Not the eye of the whoopie. One of the dog bones.

Aside from the fact that this hammock is my every night sleeper, it was made for me by HF member Opie. Plus I lack the skills to match the length of the remaining good dog bone nor do I think that I can create 2 new bones that are exactly the same length like Opie's were.

I've improvised a fix and I can still sleep in it but it's not as pretty as it was.

You'd think I'd know this by now but note to self: NEVER CUT ANGRY. And always use a bead when you make your own whoopies.
    "Behold, as a wild a** of the desert, go I forth to my work." -- Guerney Halleck

Hammock
    1.6 hyperD 2.2 hex 1.7 mountain
    Tarp
    9x9 1.1 oz silnylo
    Insulation
    sleeping pad
    Suspension
    whoopy slings
    Images
    Ouch, I hate it when that happens...

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 + Sniveler
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Runner View Post
    During a move about 5 years ago I managed to pull one the attached whoopie slings on my bridge hammock into itself. This is my every night sleeper but I've never used the whoopies as I hook a carabiner directly to the dog bones and then to a stand. Because of this I've never bothered to fix it.

On a whim, after splicing up some lines for a new tarp today, I decided to try to coax that whoopie sling back out of itself. I figured if I couldn't coax it out I'd just cut it off and splice on a new one as my skills are fresh. After 15 minutes of failure my blood was a bit up so immediately out comes the strap cutter. I grabbed what I was certain was the eye of the whoopie and cut. Not the eye of the whoopie. One of the dog bones.

Aside from the fact that this hammock is my every night sleeper, it was made for me by HF member Opie. Plus I lack the skills to match the length of the remaining good dog bone nor do I think that I can create 2 new bones that are exactly the same length like Opie's were.

I've improvised a fix and I can still sleep in it but it's not as pretty as it was.

You'd think I'd know this by now but note to self: NEVER CUT ANGRY. And always use a bead when you make your own whoopies.
    Drive two nails into a longish board, separated by the desired length of the dog one. Make first loop as usual. Hook over one nail. Make the other loop so it just hooks over the second nail. Repeat for a second dog one, which will be an equal length.

Hammock
    Mackinac Bridge
    Tarp
    DCF
    Insulation
    Grey Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by skater View Post
    Drive two nails into a longish board, separated by the desired length of the dog one. Make first loop as usual. Hook over one nail. Make the other loop so it just hooks over the second nail. Repeat for a second dog one, which will be an equal length.
    Thank you.
    "Behold, as a wild a** of the desert, go I forth to my work." -- Guerney Halleck

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    I can commiserate. I also have pulled look of a whoopie into the bury. I was able to work it back out. 1/8" amsteel, think i used the wife's crochet hook.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon
    Tarp
    Tarpless
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by skater View Post
    Good idea, thanks!

Images
    I had this happen to BOTH WS the very first time I pulled the hammock out of my pack. I got them undone after a lot of frustrating work. Also, I have had beads break. So, ever since that first time, I open the WS up a good bit, or I just leave the loop that has been over the Marlin Spike as is, and I tie the WS loop into a loose knot. No problems since then, not even close.

Hammock
    DIY ROBIC
    Tarp
    OES MacCat SilPoly
    Insulation
    down bag, Klymit
    Suspension
    Kevlar+Str.Anchors
    I just tried to bury both ends of a button knot in the same leg of the loop... struggled way too long with it before backing up and realizing the mistake. Don't work too late, either, is the lesson I suppose.

• + New Posts