New member and brand new to hammocks from South Louisiana

Hello all. I am happy to find this forum. My children and I are interested in camping with hammocks. I have zero experience with them. I found the warbonnet site and I really like the way the XLC sounds from the description and reviews posted on this site. They must be very popular considering the entire inventory is sold out. I prioritize quality and will pay for it but I also prioritize value so I am open to other options. I am 6'2" 180.

My children range from 8 - 12 and I would like for each of them to have their own and to be able to set it up largely on their own if possible.

A bug net is an absolute must for all of us. The integrated nets sound very appealing.

Rain fly is also an absolute must.

I don't have any experience to know anything about fabric weights, types, DL vs. SL, retention systems, right or left sleeping (doubt it would matter to me).

We hike camp some, car camp some, and would use potentially any season. We also would travel to other parts of the country to camp. So versatility would be nice.

Thank you to anyone that is willing to point me in the right direction for pinned information sources, good threads, or is willing to take the time to engage with me answering these questions.

Hammock
    Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck
    You need to talk to Cajunracer here on the forum. He is a gear rep from the southern part of Louisiana. He is very knowledgeable and has several different companies to introduce you to!

A few of my favorite companies for different pieces of gear are:
    Walhalla hammocks
    Outdoorsman Outfitters
    AutumnUltralight
    Trailheadz
    Dutchware

You can't go wrong with the quality on any of these companies

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG 20 Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    Fiddling...
    Cajunracer is an excellent resource. And a nice guy, too-but he’s from South La, too, so you’d expect that. You might be able to double up under tarps, that might save you a little on the original set up. There are some nice places to hike/camp in Alabama, and not toooo long of a drive.

Charlotte

Quote Originally Posted by xMagnolia View Post
    Cajunracer is an excellent resource. And a nice guy, too-but he’s from South La, too, so you’d expect that. You might be able to double up under tarps, that might save you a little on the original set up. There are some nice places to hike/camp in Alabama, and not toooo long of a drive.

Charlotte
    I am originally from northwest Alabama. Lived in Birmingham for 12 years after college. I used to know the area well. I would appreciate an update on the area.

I just posted a video on how I set up my Hennessy Hammock in case you wanted to see the features on that! I've also got EVERYTHING linked in the comments on the video on YouTube so you can go directly to each link to buy everything I've featured! Hope it helps!

Hammock
    Haven XL
    Tarp
    Free Soldier 10x10
    Insulation
    Haven XL InsulPad
    Suspension
    MyersTech Labs
    Welcome natalex85! I too am new to Hammocks! In Southeast LA - River Ridge, LA. I see your initial post was in 2020, have you found some good places to camp yet?

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D

New member and brand new to hammocks from South Louisiana

Watch some of Shug’s How to hang a hammock, tarp, bug nets, insulation videos. His How To videos are short, packed with accurate information and entertaining!

Go to a group hang listed here on Hammock Forums
    See lots of different gear, meet hammock campers and see their hammocks set up in piney woods
    Last edited by Phantom Grappler; 01-25-2022 at 14:57.

Hammock
    El Dorado
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    UQ varies
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Welcome.
    I like to go camping with my children. My son is 6, I keep thinking he is 7 he is actually 6, and he has his own hammock setup. Hammock, tarp, sleeping bag, and he lays claim to the underquilt I tend to put under him.

At his age he can't quite set it up on his own cuz he's not tall enough.

Rather than by quality for your younger kids. You might want to buy durability.

My four-year-old daughter while she does have a hammock for lounging, does not have her own full kit yet.

Whenever I was picking out the setup for my son.
    I went through a couple of the hammock tarp combo kits.

I found one that was cheap enough to replace if it was ruined but was durable enough to last for several years with only moderate care.

Your needs will of course be different but you might want to take some of the same things into consideration when you're buying gear for children. I was a lot harder on things as a teenager than I was as a five-year-old.

我宁愿在山上。

• + New Posts