Exclamation How to repair hammock ropes?

Good day everyone!

I have a hammock in my room, which in these hot summer nights is a blessing. However, due to friction and neglect, yesterday some ropes broke up and now it's unusable (see pictures below).

What do you think is the best way to repair it? I was thinking of just buying some rope and either attach it to the broken ends or directly to the big loop up top. I was also considering straps but I don't know if they're appropriate for my type of hammock or for my setup. Maybe I could work with them if there were multiple straps, but all the products I saw seem to be just one long strap or two.. What do you think? Also, recommended knots/bends?

Thanks for reading!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Walahalla Monolite 1.5
    Tarp
    Dynemma Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Mt Washington
    Suspension
    Whoopies slings
    Images
    My thought process on it would be if some of them are failing then the others are not far behind. I would consider looking at replacing all of them and then you won't have to worry about it. I would always have that nagging worry that another one is going to break in the middle of the night and dump me on the floor.

Hammock
    Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    I replaced all the lines on my Lawson a few yrs ago with zing it. The difference is the Lawson has metal grommets I laced threw. Yours shows fabric. I'd be concerned of the fabric giving way or the zing it, being of smaller diameter, tearing it. How old is the hammock? Might be time to make one or buy a replacment.
    The Lawson is on the left. I made the change to reduce weight. Original ropes were about 1/4", the zing it is about 1/16 or 2mm.

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Just remake the Clew. (the area that broke and is weak). There are many videos on youtube on how to reweave the damaged part of the hammock. Here is one.

Hammock
    11' 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    D.I.Y. 12' winter
    Insulation
    cool weather
    Suspension
    Poly. S.S. Beckett
    Images
    I'd 86 the whole hammock for a dutchware 1.6 Hexon 11 footer...

https://dutchwaregear.com/product/11...fabric-layer-1

Images
    You have what is known as a Brazilian hammock. It uses a fabric bed with rope "clews" on the ends. It is not the same as a gathered end camping hammock ("parachute hammock") that uses nylon gathered into a knot.

If you're looking for a fun project, you can re-weave a new clew using heavy cotton yarn (see previously posted video).

But nowadays these kinds of hammocks can be had on amazon for <$50 brand new and very good for what you get.

Quote Originally Posted by ibgary View Post
    I replaced all the lines on my Lawson a few yrs ago with zing it. The difference is the Lawson has metal grommets I laced threw. Yours shows fabric. I'd be concerned of the fabric giving way or the zing it, being of smaller diameter, tearing it. How old is the hammock? Might be time to make one or buy a replacment.
    The Lawson is on the left. I made the change to reduce weight. Original ropes were about 1/4", the zing it is about 1/16 or 2mm.
    Yeah I think anything other than fabric would be a risk..

Quote Originally Posted by jeff-oh View Post
    Just remake the Clew. (the area that broke and is weak). There are many videos on youtube on how to reweave the damaged part of the hammock. Here is one.

I'm considering it, since it's the cheaper solution I think.. Problem is, I've never done anything like this, so I don't know how much I'd trust it. Did you ever do it? Is it easy to achieve a reliable result?

Quote Originally Posted by XJ35S View Post
    I'd 86 the whole hammock for a dutchware 1.6 Hexon 11 footer...

https://dutchwaregear.com/product/11...fabric-layer-1
    What's 86? You mean replace it? I was expecting a higher price honestly.. Do you use it? The fabric doesn't seem too breathable, and I mostly want to use it in the summer.. Am I assuming wrong? Also, how do do you attach it? To ropes or directly to a carabiner?

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bungle View Post

I'm considering it, since it's the cheaper solution I think.. Problem is, I've never done anything like this, so I don't know how much I'd trust it. Did you ever do it? Is it easy to achieve a reliable result?
    Yes, it is easy and not hard. Just go slow and take your time and you will soon get the pattern. Since you hammock has loops to receive the clew you could make it directly to the hammock.

• + New Posts