Kansas City / Minneapolis; Moto backpacking

Hey. 25m from Minneapolis, living near Kansas City, possibly moving back to MN soon.
    Recently found a brand new Hennessy Deep Jungle Zip XL on FB for $125. First hammock, bit of an impulse.
    My main hobby is motorcycles and I've always wanted to be able to go for extended backpacking rides. Always fantasized about all-weather hammock setups as a minimalist/utilitarian thing, and decided to jump on the Hennessy instead of trying to make my own.

Anyway, yeah, excited to learn about proper practices and whatnot, and thanks for the welcomes.

Welcome! What bike do you favor for extended trips with a hammock?

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Bandit TQ Lynx UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Welcome to the forum. If you find your way back to Minneapolis should definitely come to a hang. Always more to learn with hammocks, only suggestion is take your time.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG45 View Post
    Welcome! What bike do you favor for extended trips with a hammock?
    Have a Goldwing at the moment but I'm selling it for something that can handle gravel and be roadside repairable.

Quote Originally Posted by Adroa View Post
    Welcome to the forum. If you find your way back to Minneapolis should definitely come to a hang. Always more to learn with hammocks, only suggestion is take your time.
    I'm actually in Minneapolis for a week or so right now, would love to learn some things in-person. Are there facebook groups for local stuff or something?

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Bandit TQ Lynx UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    I’m not on Facebook, I get all my hammock related news right here. I have heard people mention Facebook groups for the area, hopefully someone else can be more useful.

Quote Originally Posted by MU5T BU5T View Post
    Have a Goldwing at the moment but I'm selling it for something that can handle gravel and be roadside repairable.
    I'd love to what you go with. At the opposite end of the spectrum, but I have been eyeing a TW200 for a while.

Hammock
    To many
    Tarp
    To many
    Insulation
    Incubator 20 + oth
    Suspension
    Buckles
    Images
    Started with a HH Explorer Delux because it came ready to hang minus insulation. Went down the rabbit hole after that

With 17 bikes in my fleet I usually camp with my BMW GS, Ural with sidecar or BMW K1200 trike. At almost 67 I have been riding motorcycles for 55 years. Being frugal I have camped all over the USA & some in Canada. Cancer slowed me (lost my bladder) down to 7-10k a year but before that I averaged over 30k a year on 2 wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by oldbiker View Post
    Started with a HH Explorer Delux because it came ready to hang minus insulation. Went down the rabbit hole after that

With 17 bikes in my fleet I usually camp with my BMW GS, Ural with sidecar or BMW K1200 trike. At almost 67 I have been riding motorcycles for 55 years. Being frugal I have camped all over the USA & some in Canada. Cancer slowed me (lost my bladder) down to 7-10k a year but before that I averaged over 30k a year on 2 wheels.
    Wow, that's a lot of time well spent, hahah. What would you say is some of the more underrated or critical gear for living out of a bike?

Hammock
    To many
    Tarp
    To many
    Insulation
    Incubator 20 + oth
    Suspension
    Buckles
    Images
    MU5T BU5T, that's a very fluid target. Every trip requires different essentials depending on distance, location, weather & such. A couple things remain constants. A good medical kit & tire repair kit. I like back roads & roads less traveled & a lot of time help is a good while away.

• + New Posts