Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

ENO parachute VS. Dream Hammock - how much more comfortable is the DH?

I have a 9' eno - want to get a 10' Dangerbird (I'm 5' 7") 2.2oz Hex70 . How much more comfortable will it be. (marginal - night & day - maybe use a 1-10 stars)

Also will lighter weight fabric like a 1.6 be more comfortable?

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow : SLD
    Tarp
    HG : SLD
    Insulation
    HG : SLD : WB
    Quote Originally Posted by TerryB View Post
    Also will lighter weight fabric like a 1.6 be more comfortable?

that's going to be a personal thing, some people find the heavier material more comfortable and some find the lighter material to be more comfortable. it's like people and mattress if you like the firmer mattress go with a heavier material, if you lie a soft bed that you sink into go with then lighter material. my preferred material is 1.6 and in the HyperD to be exact.
    There's magic in the woods,
    if you know where to look for it.
    -Pete's Dragon

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    It's all personal preference, but I can tell you from my own experience that the difference in comfort between my Grand Trunk (similar to ENO) and 11' Dream Hammocks is night and day. Both of my DH's are on a completely different level in terms of comfort. A lot of it has to do with the better fabrics used, as well as the single-panel design. I can lay on a much better diagonal than in the triple-panel parachute hammocks.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    For your comfort, you might try 11 feet long and wide, five and a half to six feet wide.
    11x6 might be the ticket. Your mileage may vary.
    Have you tried out any of these sizes at local hangs?
    Or do you pull a Phantom and visualize your dreams?
    Regardless Good Luck!

Hammock
    11' Argon
    Tarp
    HG CF
    Insulation
    HG UQ - DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar Tree Straps
    For me the difference comes down to the comfort of the lay more so than the feel of the fabric. I have come to the conclusion that there is a sweet spot for the ratio of the length, to the width, of a hammock that allows you to achieve a nearly flat diagonal lay. The ENO hammocks are too short for me (6'0"), and the extra width does not help. The shorter length causes more of the banana effect in my lay. You might think that, since the ENO is wider you could just turn further into the perpendicular position, but that leads to shoulder squeeze and a feeling of being "stuck" in a hole. I find the extra width of the fabric tends to roll over in my face as well. I use a cheap dutchwaregear.com 11' netless hammock, which is 58" wide, and made of 1.6 fabric, and sleep as well as I do in my bed. I agree with the previous posts that hammock width/length/fabric is a highly personal preference, so try several until you find your sweet spot.

Quote Originally Posted by soul embrace View Post
    that's going to be a personal thing, some people find the heavier material more comfortable and some find the lighter material to be more comfortable. it's like people and mattress if you like the firmer mattress go with a heavier material, if you lie a soft bed that you sink into go with then lighter material. my preferred material is 1.6 and in the HyperD to be exact.
    Thing is - I own the eno and have not physically hung any other hammock - I don't even know if the parachute fabric is heavier than the 2.2. Hence the question.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    The difference will be like night and day.

I'm 5'9" and I have DH Dariens (in Robic 1.7 and 1.2) that are 10' length, 64" width and they are my favorite hammocks. However, people are all over the map when it comes to preferred hammock length, with some people who are 5'4" finding comfort with a 12' hammock and some 6' tall people who are okay with some of the short Hennessey hammocks.

I don't have an ENO but like rewb82 I have a similar Grand Trunk parachute-type that I took on an overnight trip this spring just to see how it would feel actually sleeping in it. It was horrible—never could get anywhere near comfortable, fidgeting around all night, TQ would poke out, feet interefered with UQ suspension.

At your height and based on MY experience I think the 10' length might work for you as it does for me, but 11'x60" in Hexon 1.6 is probably the safer route. I would email the great folks at DH and see what they recommend. Their advice for me with the 10'x64" was spot on.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow : SLD
    Tarp
    HG : SLD
    Insulation
    HG : SLD : WB
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    At your height and based on MY experience I think the 10' length might work for you as it does for me, but 11'x60" in Hexon 1.6 is probably the safer route. I would email the great folks at DH and see what they recommend. Their advice for me with the 10'x64" was spot on.
    does DH work with the hexon material? all the have offered on their website in 1.6 is HyperD.....just wondering since I've hadn't seen a DH in the hexon material
    There's magic in the woods,
    if you know where to look for it.
    -Pete's Dragon

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by soul embrace View Post
    does DH work with the hexon material? all the have offered on their website in 1.6 is HyperD.....just wondering since I've hadn't seen a DH in the hexon material
    That's a good point... however I have a couple of plain hammocks (not DH) in HyperD 1.6 and that would work for me as well.

Admittedly, I am not nearly as sensitive to differences in materials as some people seem to be, so I'm not the best to judge that!
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    DH orders all of its fabric from Ripstop By The Roll, and HyperD is one of their brands. the Hexon brand is made for Dutchware and is not used by DH.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast