Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Leaning towards the DH DangerBird... How do you like the non-removable bug net

I have a 9' eno and need to get a 10' hammock with a proper bug net system. BTW - I've already punted the Darien because of the bug net was fixed on one side.

It was recommended that the DangerBird could be the hammock that would work for me. It will be used mainly for car camping and the occasional hike. With my limited experience, I would probably agree, but the last customer reviews on the DB were done more than 6 years ago - meanwhile, the other DH hammocks have several current reviews. That (possibly right or wrong) tells me people are not buying the DB therefore not reviewing them for whatever reason.

Hence, the post. How do you like the non-removable net, & how does it compared to the bug net systems on other hammocks you might know? Maybe comment on what disadvantages would you would foresee with that fixed net? The one I can think of is that you always have the bug net with you whether you need it or not.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow : SLD
    Tarp
    HG : SLD
    Insulation
    HG : SLD : WB
    the dangerbird was my first cottage hammock with a built in bugnet, I had the one with a overcover and bugnet, and I really liked the hammock. a year later I upgraded to a sparrow because I wanted the option to leave either the bugnet or overcover (whichever one I didn't need) at home. if you are only going to be using it mainly for car camping then weight won't be an issue for you so I think you will be happy with the dangerbird. the dangerbird is just as comfortable to me as the sparrow is.

the only reason I got the sparrow was because I wanted a lighter weight hammock for backpacking and I've since got a darien to go lighter for 3 season and will use the sparrow for winter camping
    There's magic in the woods,
    if you know where to look for it.
    -Pete's Dragon

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    ugq Fjack and zep
    Suspension
    Webbing n buckles
    Unless you're trying to go ultralight, I don't think you'll find the bugnet causes any issues. I'm mostly camping within 3 hours of Toronto, and I've never slept with the bugnet open as there are always seem to be a few mosquitoes around at night.
    To clarify, I don't have a DH hammock, just general observations around bugnets and the fact that I use mine 99% of nights.
    Last edited by BigGreenMoose; 07-09-2020 at 07:50.

Appreciate the well thought out response.

In your experience can you add any more clarity on how good or bad it was to live with that built-in bug net on the DB.

It appears to me that since the zippers are permanently sewn to the net at one end it must be fairly convenient to be able to quickly deploy and store the net without having to fiddle with attaching and unattached the zippers.

I have a SLD traillair, which is similar to the DB. I don't mind the net being rolled up at the end, and it is very easy to zip back up if you want the net. I had another hammock where the net came off completely, and it was a pita to get it back on. What I have found though, is that I really prefer having a "net wall" on one side of my hammock, even if I don't need the full net for bugs. It keeps my top quilt in place perfectly, where a hammock with no net makes it very easy for my tq to fall out when I get up or get in in the middle of the night. I have been using a Darien a lot lately because it is theoretically lighter than the full zip options, and since I want the net up, it all works out well.

My first hammock had a similar net design to the Darien, but it was not easy to reach around it to adjust my uq. The Darien is a pleasure to work with.

So, to be perfectly clear - If you zip only one side of the DB net to create a net wall it would be the same and keep your quilt from falling as a Darien would - only with a zip - right?

Quote Originally Posted by TerryB View Post
    So, to be perfectly clear - If you zip only one side of the DB net to create a net wall it would be the same and keep your quilt from falling as a Darien would - only with a zip - right?
    Yup.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    SLD Hex
    Insulation
    SLD Trail Winder
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    The Darien saves weight by using half the zipper length.

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    FWIW, I like having a zipper on BOTH sides of hammock in order to adjust the UQ in the middle of the night as needed. The net wall prevents this option of adjusting the UQ. That said, I am mostly a car camper and don't worry about the weight of my rig as much as ultra lite speed hikers do.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyroler Holzhacker View Post
    FWIW, I like having a zipper on BOTH sides of hammock in order to adjust the UQ in the middle of the night as needed. The net wall prevents this option of adjusting the UQ. That said, I am mostly a car camper and don't worry about the weight of my rig as much as ultra lite speed hikers do.
    I have had that issue with some net walls, but the darien is a pleasant change. Very easy to adjust.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast