Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New Treerunner ordered.

I have two SLD hammocks, a Lair and a Treerunner. The Lair is in a 1.25 MC and the runner is a 12' 1.6 Hexon. The Lair is one of my two go to camping hammocks, and the runner was a test piece to experiment with both the hexon and a 12' hammock. Very happy with both models so I ordered a new Treerunner in 1.0 monolite. The idea for this one is as an ultralight daytripper, or as a "just in case hammock" to carry with me everywhere. I'm not intending to sleep in it overnight normally, but wanted a super light hammock for those unplanned hangs or for a nice view on a daytrip. The Lair weighs 16oz all up, and I'm hoping the monolite comes in around 8oz or less. Went with a lash it RL to save a drop of weight.

When my Loco Libre operator UQ and TQ arrive, they will likely be paired with this hammock on a regular basis, weather and trip permitting.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow : SLD
    Tarp
    HG : SLD
    Insulation
    HG : SLD : WB
    congrats on the order!

looking at dream hammocks hammock calculator a 11ft long 61in wide FreeBird (their netless hammock) in monolite weighs in around 7.96oz
    There's magic in the woods,
    if you know where to look for it.
    -Pete's Dragon

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SLG45 View Post
    I have two SLD hammocks, a Lair and a Treerunner. The Lair is in a 1.25 MC and the runner is a 12' 1.6 Hexon. The Lair is one of my two go to camping hammocks, and the runner was a test piece to experiment with both the hexon and a 12' hammock. Very happy with both models so I ordered a new Treerunner in 1.0 monolite. The idea for this one is as an ultralight daytripper, or as a "just in case hammock" to carry with me everywhere. I'm not intending to sleep in it overnight normally, but wanted a super light hammock for those unplanned hangs or for a nice view on a daytrip. The Lair weighs 16oz all up, and I'm hoping the monolite comes in around 8oz or less. Went with a lash it RL to save a drop of weight.

When my Loco Libre operator UQ and TQ arrive, they will likely be paired with this hammock on a regular basis, weather and trip permitting.
    LOL that's going to be some crazy light setup... combined with a DCF hex tarp a total weight barely over 2 lb.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    LOL that's going to be some crazy light setup... combined with a DCF hex tarp a total weight barely over 2 lb.
    I hope so! I have a 6 oz tarp from sld as well. Should be fun to mess with.

Laying in my monolite right now. Incredibly comfortable!

Also had Jared do a Treerunner style hammock for me in some cotton I provided, to maybe use as a nightly sleeper. Came out great, but cotton is weird to me. More overall stretch than most nylon hammocks, but not as good back support as some stretchy nylons. Though the cotton stretches more, it leaves a gap at my lower back. The nylon seems to conform better for me. The cotton is much quieter though, which my wife likes. Also way more friction, which makes adjustments more difficult than my preferred nylons. I'll have to keep at it and see what happens.

Really tempted to sleep in this monoloite though!

BTW the monolite Treerunner, in its custom made Bishop bag, weighs exactly 8oz.

If it turns out to be as comfortable for a night as it seems so far, it may be worth taking out camping, and for those of you afraid that it will fail, it is light enough to carry a spare! LOL.

Hammock
    RSBTR Trail Lair clone
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    UGQ HG JRB AHE
    Suspension
    Myers Hybrid Dynee
    Quote Originally Posted by SLG45 View Post
    ....and for those of you afraid that it will fail, it is light enough to carry a spare! LOL.
    Haha!!!

You make a compelling case.

Very comfortable first night. I can feel my hair poking through the fabric when I lay down.

I may just use this for a couple of weeks and see how it holds up.

Just a quick update...I have slept in the monolite overnight since my last post. It is by far the most comfortable fabric I have used. Perfect support and stretch for me. No aches at all, and I have been sleeping much better throughout the night.

2 weeks of nightly use and the monolite appears like new. Still the most comfortable hammock I have ever used.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast