Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TARPS

TARPS

Hello everybody trying to figure out tarps if you have an 11 ft hammock is an 11 ft tarp OK. It does not seem to be covered all that well with a ridge line you have about 9 ft of hammock and only 1 ft on each side to not get wet but most tarps i see are 10.5 or 11 ft some 12 footers what do most recommend thanks

Hammock
    Dutch Wide 11', H.H.
    Tarp
    Superfly, Noah 12'
    Insulation
    Incubator 0, Jarbr
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    11 foot is perfect
    I have a superfly and imho one of the best values and traps on the market
    Love it

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Sidewinder
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    11’ works. You can always get a tarp with doors if you’re wanting extra coverage from the elements or just a little more privacy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Remember, the hammock is hung so its hang length is about 83% of it’s physical length. For an 11 ft hammock that’s about 9 ft. So an 11 ft tarp will overhang the hammock by about a foot on each end.

That is perfectly fine for rain falling straight down. If the wind is blowing, if the rain is coming in sort of sideways, then you have to pay more attention to other details - like the orientation of the tarp to the wind. How low you bring down the sides, do you deploy doors if your tarp has them, etc.

Note that the ridge line is usually kept above the tarp so it doesn’t become a highway for rain under the tarp. If you do run it under the tarp, be sure to have effective water breaks on the line (you’ll know it if you don’t).

I used an 11 ft HH hex for a few years with nary a problem. I only sold it because I was trying other tarps. An 11 ft hex is a good utility tarp for three seasons.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I use 11 ft. hammocks exclusively, and would never have a tarp more than 11 ft. long. Anything more is just a waste - extra weight and extra coverage that you'll never use.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Super Fly Silpoly
    Insulation
    JRB top and bottom
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    11 foot works just fine since your hammock will shorten up given the sag factor while your tarp is taut.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG UQ, Custom TQ
    Suspension
    Yes
    You can actually use a 10' tarp with an 11' hammock. Not ideal, but you can do it. I have done it.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Make sure to get it centered properly and an 11' tarp will work just fine with 11' hammock. That is what I use all the time.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    JRB James River Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB 11 X 10
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts
    Suspension
    Webbing, TG, DC
    11' Is my go to with a bridge hammock while backpacking. I've found a lot of good trees to hang on that my 12' tarp would not fit between. For car camping or motorcycle trips I'll take my 12' because established campsites usually have more space between trees and since I'm spending more time in camp compared to backpacking the extra coverage is good if the weather kicks up plus I can put my bike in there too if I want!
    Jacks R Better, makers of the of the Original Under Quilt and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock.
    www.jacksrbetter.com
    Facebook: JacksRBetterQuilts
    Intstagram: Jacks_R_Better_Quilts

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SHOTGUN View Post
    Hello everybody trying to figure out tarps if you have an 11 ft hammock is an 11 ft tarp OK. It does not seem to be covered all that well with a ridge line you have about 9 ft of hammock and only 1 ft on each side to not get wet but most tarps i see are 10.5 or 11 ft some 12 footers what do most recommend thanks
    I concur with the 11' recommendations thus far, but other options such as width and doors and volume and intended use also come into play.

For instance, if you're a car camper and aren't concerned about weight and desire a big ol' quonset hut sized tarp that gives great coverage and plenty of headroom and space where you can sit out a couple of days of rainy weather while staying bone dry, the tarp you choose is going to be much different than one you'd select as a backpacker hiking 15-20 miles, or more, per day.

I'm almost exclusively a backpacker and 95% of the time I use an 11' hex tarp and occasionally accept a little bit of dampness, which I have learned is not the end of the world.

But for the big tarp as described above, you might want a ginormous 13-footer with internal poles and "all the fixin's" .......... depends!
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast