Hammock
    Hammeck Netty, Astd. Dutch
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex, TF
    Insulation
    HG,WLSS,JrB,UGQ,LL
    Suspension
    LW straps/Becket
    I've tried all the UL straps of all materials and colors and came to same conclusion about each one of them: Any weight/bulk savings they may offer is more than offset (to me, anyway but HYOH) by their many downfalls which include:

1. Their tendency to get "ropey" which means they don't stay flat. This is a hassle to me because I constantly have to flatten them out to go around the trees. When the straps get ropey they dig into and damage the trees which could be detrimental to some parks allowing hanging.

2.Their "slipperiness" when not tied exactly right. Yes, I know you can "double beckett" them which makes this less of an issue, but it's still a bit of a hassle. PS, before I found out about the double beckett, I fell on my butt a few times!

3. Their difficulty is spilling the knot. Again, there are workarounds for this but it still just adds to hassle factor.

In conclusion, I've found that the best compromise for me is to use Dutch's Spider/Poly straps. These are much less expensive than the UL Ropey straps but do weigh a couple ounces more and take up a tad more room in my pack, but for me, not having to deal with 1-3 above is worth it.

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    I'm with Clisby Clark on this issue.Just when I thought I had the becket down pat with my ropey stuff,I forgot to "set" the knot when I tied off the head end and was promptly dumped on my can in front of everybody.That's was embarrassing and a might painful.

Thanks Clisby Clark for showing me the double becket and saving the day (and night).I am going to try my blue webbing I think I got from Jeff Meyers and if it gets too slippery and ropey I will start using my poly spider staps again.That poly spider strap Dutch makes is pretty versatile and hard to beat.

One thing about the lighter material is it seems to take me forever to get it all flattened out in the morning which makes for a time consuming chore when you really dont want one.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12