1.6 hyperD 2.2 hex 1.7 mountain
    Tarp
    9x9 1.1 oz silnylo
    Insulation
    sleeping pad
    Suspension
    whoopy slings
    Images

well, first time out was sort of a success....

I have gotten my hammock kit together. I walked in, chose a beautiful place right next to a creek and got everything set up. the trees were a little close. It's a rookie mistake. I figure I'm allowed. My 11 foot hammock fit nicely, but the 9x9 tarp wouldn't go on the diagonal. I had been playing with it at the house and had it set to deploy square. We weren't expecting rain so I left it in the snake skins.

The weather guessers were as correct as usual. the sky got dark quickly and it started to sprinkle. I deployed the tarp quickly, and it didn't cover. I grabbed the foot end of the hammock took the whoopie off and tied a sheep bend about a foot or so back. The tarp now had a couple of inches to spare on both ends after adjusting. I reset the ridge line and enjoyed the rest of the storm protected. I decided not to trust the weather guessers again and I didn't feel like moving so I left it that way. I slept well and enjoyed the trip.

I have pictures on my phone, but I haven't figured out how to get them uploaded. I had issues with the bug net. It worked, but it was fussy. I have made some modifications. It should work better now.

Images
    Good for you, congrats on your first hang in the woods!

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Great adaptation to adversity. You’ve learned why I no longer use whoopie slings.

If I were to make a DIY tarp, I might have, in addition to ridge line connections on the ends, a ridge line connection at a distance just a tad over the length of the hung hammock. I’d also put a set of edge guy line tie outs about the same point. That way, if I’m in a situation where there’s just room for the hammock, but not the usual tarp connections, I could “reef” it in by using those extra connection points.

There are non-destructive tarp grabbers that might do the same thing in a … wait for it … pinch.

I’ve pointed out to friends that it seems 90% of the content of the evening TV weather report is telling you what already happened.They’ll say, “The temperature was 72 today.” and you’ll think, “It WAS 72 today; those guys are geniuses.” Other times they’ll say there will be a light rain, and it doesn’t happen. And they’ll repeat that forecast the next day and maybe the day after that. Then, finally, there’s a light rain and my friends will say, “They predicted that; they must be geniuses.”
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon
    Tarp
    Tarpless
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie's
    Images
    Must be great to be a weatherman. What's happening? hold on, let me go look out the window

Meteorologists are great. 'Weathermen', maybe not so much

Hammock
    netless mostly...
    Tarp
    DW Winter, Hex 12
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Incu E20
    Suspension
    Whoopie-Spider
    It worked, but it was fussy. I have made some modifications. It should work better now.
    You are now one of us. Welcome aboard.

• + New Posts