Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Multiple

Slightly upgraded SuperShelter

It seems the SuperShelter has changed slightly comparing to the stock photos. The included stuff sack is now the same as with the 4 Season hammock. You can store both the hammock and the SuperShelter inside the stuff sack.
    The directions have changed as well. They don't only recommend placing the space blanket on top of the ocf anymore. Instead, they recommend trying both ways to see which works best.

Packs down quite small. The combined weight of SS, Explorer Ultralite XL, and stuff sack 1.33 kg / 2.9 lb.

Attached images show SuperShelter #2 and Explorer Ultralite XL inside the stuff sack.

IMG_1199.jpgIMG_1203.jpg
    IMG_1208.jpgIMG_1205.jpg
    IMG_1206.jpgIMG_1207.jpg
    Last edited by jaape; 07-06-2020 at 14:43. Reason: One more image

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jaape View Post
    It seems the SuperShelter has changed slightly comparing to the stock photos. The included stuff sack is now the same as with the 4 Season hammock. You can store both the hammock and the SuperShelter inside the stuff sack.
    The directions have changed as well. They don't only recommend placing the space blanket on top of the ocf anymore. Instead, they recommend trying both ways to see which works best.

Packs down quite small. The combined weight of SS, Explorer Ultralite XL, and stuff sack 1.33 kg / 2.9 lb.

Attached images show SuperShelter #2 and Explorer Ultralite XL inside the stuff sack.

IMG_1199.jpgIMG_1203.jpg
    IMG_1208.jpgIMG_1205.jpg
    IMG_1206.jpgIMG_1207.jpg
    Yep, it is different from the older HHSS, which I cut my hammock teeth on back in 2006, an have continued to use occasionally over the years. Some times I use pads(in bridge or 90º hammocks) or UQs or Pea Pods. But I still go back to the original HHSS from time to time, still works for me to keep me warm and dry.

I think the biggest difference is there is no longer a water proof, wind proof under cover. Which has proven invaluable to me. If ypur space blanket is under the pad, then it will still serve that function some what. But if you put the SB on top of the pad- the way I have always done- then the outer layer is no longer wind or water proof, I think.

Anyway, you have the new system? Well let us know how it works for you! ( Do you also have the older system?)

Hammock
    Multiple
    That is the old system. It has the waterproof undercover.

I did have the new system. I sold the hammock, but kept the pad.

Hammock
    Multiple
    So for what I can tell, it is the same thing that was introduced over a decade ago. It's windproof, waterproof; you can take it off if you want. I even followed the ten-year-old videos on how to set up the thing.
    What has changed is the stuff sack and the directions on how to use the thing.
    I did try it during the day, but didn't spend the night in it yet. Quick to set up and tear down.

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DCF Winter
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ @ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoope
    Images
    I agree with Billy Bob, except that I still use my SS most of the time. I have the original SS, which the hammock suspension threads through. Now that is a headache, and I need to get the new one someday. But for the weight, it is the best for me.

I made 3 different under insulation adaptations, two down, one using a windshield sun screen material, and have the original grey OCF full length Hennessy under pad, with added sewn on thermal reflective fabric. It all functions very well, with no condensation issues.

This is July, and it hovers around 60 degrees at night. It's never warm in the White Mountains, never.
    Last edited by psyculman; 07-07-2020 at 02:08.
    Since I retired, some times I stay awake all day, some times all night.

Images
    That is the old system. It has the waterproof undercover.

I did have the new system. I sold the hammock, but kept the pad.
    Oh, so it is the old system? You sold the newer one, but are still using the old? It has a different looking compression stuff sack, faked me out.

So for what I can tell, it is the same thing that was introduced over a decade ago. It's windproof, waterproof; you can take it off if you want. I even followed the ten-year-old videos on how to set up the thing.
    What has changed is the stuff sack and the directions on how to use the thing.
    I did try it during the day, but didn't spend the night in it yet. Quick to set up and tear down.
    Yep, when looked again I do see the words Super Shelter on the sack. The new system is not called SS is it? Maybe called "4season hammock or something? And I'm thinking the new systems outer shell is breathable, not water proof. I don't know if it is wind resistant or not.

But how very interesting that they recommend - even on the old system now- trying the space blanket under the pad. Because it will keep the condensation on the outside of the pad, away from your back. But it still says it will be noticeably warmer on top of the pad, the original technique. I have never tried it under the pd, I should just to see how it works. I did get soaked with condensation once when I used NO space blanket. Other than that, I have never had any condensation issues, but maybe some folks do.

Quote Originally Posted by psyculman View Post
    I agree with Billy Bob, except that I still use my SS most of the time. I have the original SS, which the hammock suspension threads through. Now that is a headache, and I need to get the new one someday. But for the weight, it is the best for me.

I made 3 different under insulation adaptations, two down, one using a windshield sun screen material, and have the original grey OCF full length Hennessy under pad, with added sewn on thermal reflective fabric. It all functions very well, with no condensation issues.

This is July, and it hovers around 60 degrees at night. It's never warm in the White Mountains, never.
    Good to hear from others who have used the system a long time with no condensation and keeping warm. I do wonder about that new system, with it's breathable outer cover.

Images
    Re: the space blanket being used UNDER the OCF pad there used to be a guy here, who would hang with the HHSS in winter, IN MICHIGAN! Unlike me, he did not augment the HHSS in any way, even at minus 20F. But he did wear a lot of thick, poorly compressible layers. He always put the space blanket under the pad, said it worked better for him because the condensation would freeze on the space blanket and he could just shake it off the next morning. He also use a 15F rated Marmot bag, and said that he would often have ice inside his down bag from frozen condensation. I think he was called callofthe wild or maybe cryofthewild.

Hammock
    Multiple
    I don't know why they have so confusing naming with their products.

For my understanding Hennessy has four insulation products:
    - The SuperShelter. It has a waterproof undercover and a concave ocf pad. Comes in two sizes regular and xl and two types classic and zip. It is used in their models without built-in insulation (Jungle and 4Season hammocks have insulation).
    You can use the undercover with or without the ocf pad. The SS hasn't changed much along the way. When it was introduced you had to take the hammock down to put it up. Later on about a decade ago it was refreshed so you can just clip it on. Now it has a new stuff sack, but it's still same product.
    - Heat reflecting double bubble pad. Comes in two sizes
    - Jungle hammocks. They have double bottom which holds pad similar to the heat reflecting bubble pad. You can use the hammock with or without the pad.
    - 4 Season hammocks. They have a double bottom which holds a pad simlar to the pad in the supershelter. The pad is slightly different. It is more diagonal shaped and it has small hooks to attach to O-rings inside the 4 Season hammock. You can use the hammock with or without the pad.

So 4Season and the Jungle hammocks are basically ordinary double layer hammocks. Except they have ridiculously small opening for anything extra insulation. Trying to roll a ccf-pad inside can be a pain.

I have owned the 4Season hammock. For me it was too cold and too hard to put extra insulation in. I really liked the pad so I kept it and have used it inside other double layer hammocks. Much more comfortable than an underquilt if the temp is high enough.

Now just last week I received my order of the SuperShelter (which BillyBob58 calls the old system) and a new Ultralite Explorer XL hammock to use it with.
    I also bought the heat reflecting double pad.

Hammock
    Multiple
    I have to correct my previous post. I did some more research. It seems the Jungle hammocks do not come with an insulation, but are meant to be used with the heat reflecting pads. It seems they also have wider opening inside the layers, so adding extra insulation may not be a problem with the Jungle-models as it is with the 4Season Expedition.

I went slighly off the topic, but here is the opening for putting insulation in the 4Season-model. I have posted this picture before, but here it is again.
    Screenshot 2020-07-08 at 14.31.08.jpg

What temp is the SS good down to? Does the current one still come with a space blanket?

ETA, it seems that it does still include the sb.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast