Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    Multiple
    Last night was bit below 10 Celcius (50 F). Rained all night. Slept with my topquilt fully open in a t-shirt. Didn't feel a thing under my butt or back so I'd say it can go at least 5 - 10 Celcius lower than that.

I had the spaceblanket on top of the ocf. I didn't see a drop of moisture anywhere except the rainfly which was soaked from the rain.

Quote Originally Posted by jaape View Post
    Last night was bit below 10 Celcius (50 F). Rained all night. Slept with my topquilt fully open in a t-shirt. Didn't feel a thing under my butt or back so I'd say it can go at least 5 - 10 Celcius lower than that.

I had the spaceblanket on top of the ocf. I didn't see a drop of moisture anywhere except the rainfly which was soaked from the rain.
    Thanks very much for the info. Seems like a good uq replacement for warmer weather.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jaape View Post

Thanks for the info, good to hear you had no condensation issues. Welcome to the club with few members. I never have had any condensation either, as long as I had the SB on top of the HH pad, which seems to be the key. I have had some condensation problems when I did NOT use the space blanket. Although, with temps in the high 40sF, I was still plenty warm.

Sounds like your estimate for the lower limit would be in the ball park for me based on my previous experience. I froze on my first night both in a hammock, as well as 1st night in the HHSS, at 22F. I attribute that all to user error, and more than anything else my severe altitude sickness brain hypoxia(could not figure out the mystery of how that HHSS worked or the mystery of how to get inside my sleeping bag and zipped up inside a Hammock). So I never was adequately covered by my sleeping bag, and that may have been the whole problem, though I'll never know. For the rest of the week I was toasty warm. No doubt partly due to the fact that on the second night we got to camp early, rather than at dark, and a friend and I set out to figure out how that darn, crazy HHSS worked. At least as important, I either figured out how to get in my sleeping bag and get it zipped up, or I used it quilt style. Honestly I can't remember, that was September 2006. I also do not remember what the temperatures were on the following nights, but I assume they must've been in at least the 30s or 40s Fahrenheit, if not lower. Including the last night of the trip, where the wind was coming right in the foot end of the tiny tarp, hitting my hammock/under cover and bouncing me around all night. But I slept snug as a bug in a rug. I had one other buddy in a Hammock, and two others in tents, and I was the only one warm and happy that night. They had to roust me out after the sun was way up and shining bright, I was sleeping so happily.

After I got back from the trip and it started cooling off here at home, I began experimenting. And based on that first week long trip, and my experiences at home, I remember coming to the conclusion that right about freezing was my absolute limit without augmentation of the HHSS system. However, a phone conversation with TOM HENNESSY after I got back caused a light bulb to go off in my head. A real "duh" moment. At some point in our conversation about how this system works, I said to him something like "OK, it sounds like you're saying that assuming that my sleeping bag or top quilt is more than adequate for the temperatures without needing any other layers, that I would be better off taking off my fleece jacket (which was not needed for Topside warmth) and placing it under my pad? Or even with the lighter items of clothing on top of my pad, but with everything under the space blanket?". To which he replied "definitely".

So that begin for me several years of experimentation with the HHSS as well as various under Quilts and Pea Pods. All of which have worked very well for me. I figured out that for me about 32F was my limit with the HHSS, at which point I was neither warm nor cold, simply neutral. Maybe add a few degrees if I actually wanted to feel warmth, rather than simply not be cold.

But more importantly I discovered that simply placing a fleece jacket, or whatever I did not require for sleeping, underneath the pad, I could easily boost comfort levels by 10°F or more. Probably a lot more. Now since on a cold-weather trip I'm always going to have insulated clothing with me, and since normally I'm not going to need to sleep in all of it, well there you go. I have more than once, by adding various pieces of clothing like fleece jackets and down vest or insulated pants, whatever I did not NEED to boost my quilt, I have been toasty warm as low as 14° F with a very stout windchill on top of that(no tarp). My personal record was sleeping very toasty warm and dry at 6° F (don't remember if there was a windchill or not), using vapor barrier clothing. Under me was the space blanket, the standard HH pad, plus something they used to sell called the "kidney/torso pad". This amounted to a section of pad that was torso sized, and another section of pad which covered the kidney and butt area only, both of which added together were about the same thickness as the original pad, more or less. (I don't think they sell those anymore, but the same thing can be done just by adding a good thick fleece jacket and whatever else is available, even a section of open cell foam, or a summer weight quilt). I most definitely could've gone a good bit lower than 6° F with nothing more than that SB/pad/kidney-torso pad. Here is one way to augment a HHSS: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...pershelter-27F

If you are already sleeping at about 50° F in July, sounds like you'll get plenty of opportunities to see just how low that super shelter can take you with comfort, to find out what your limit is. Plus plenty of chances to see what adding some pieces of clothing down there can do for you. But just make sure that whatever you might want to add down below is not heavy enough to cause the pad or undercover to sag and give you a cold gap.
    Quote Originally Posted by SLG45 View Post
    Thanks very much for the info. Seems like a good uq replacement for warmer weather.
    I've always thought it was a good alternative to many other good systems that are out there. If it works for someone (like me for one) down into the 30s or even low 40s, at just about 20 ounces which includes the equivalent of an under quilt protector, and less need of a heavier/bigger tarp to keep side ways wind and rain away from the bottom, I find that quite competitive. Also very competitive in price, especially considering there is less need for a larger tarp. (Unless of course you just want a larger tarp anyway) There's not many of us that are fans of it, it has never been popular here, but there definitely are a few of us.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 07-10-2020 at 11:43.

I don't have an adult size HH. But for $35 and 10 oz, the open cell pad seems like something you could add to any hammock, and with a 2qzq uqp as a replacement for the undercover, you save a drop of weight and a lot of cost of the undercover. Maybe it wouldn't work as well that way, Idk.

Otoh, my soon to arrive Operator uq weighs like 8oz... maybe the open cell would work ok for an emergency night on the ground though?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SLG45 View Post
    I don't have an adult size HH. But for $35 and 10 oz, the open cell pad seems like something you could add to any hammock, and with a 2qzq uqp as a replacement for the undercover, you save a drop of weight and a lot of cost of the undercover. Maybe it wouldn't work as well that way, Idk.

Otoh, my soon to arrive Operator uq weighs like 8oz... maybe the open cell would work ok for an emergency night on the ground though?
    No, it would not work at all on the ground. It is open cell foam with no shell, very breathable and very compressible. It is designed strictly to hang underneath a hammock. If used on the ground, it would flatten right out and give essentially no cushioning or insulation. Or at least not much more than a down quilt used as a pad.

But the 2qzq UQP might well make a good substitute for the HH undercover, and save several oz and is significantly less expensive. The difference is the 2QZQ UQP would not be water proof, with the pros and cons associated with that(maybe it is water resistant? ) Also, the HH under cover serves the purpose of being a custom fit for the HH, with built in fill length elastics that help lift the pad up with just enough tension to solidly contact my back without compressing the open cell foam. Whether or not a different brand UQP designed to work with all hammocks would do as well, I do not know. But I wouldn't mind having one for my other hammocks, and I am surprised I don't.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12