Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Buy once...cry once.

Cost and budget are always concerns...but i don't care to scrimp on insulation kits or Tarps. It won't matter how well a hammock lays if you are cold and wet.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Yukon/ChillGorilla
    Insulation
    Quilts or MSS
    Suspension
    Straps
    I've commented on several of the HT threads. I purchased the Heatseeker quilt set in an effort to get lighter and away from the packing size of my MSS. The Heatseeker is definitely not going to keep you warm into the 20s. However, it is a good set for the price if you don't need something that warm. I was comfortable in the mid-30s with polypro sleepwear. Anything less temp-wise and I would have been cold. Depending on how you sleep, I'd rate it to 40 comfortably. I think I paid $200 or so for the set. It seems well-made. I did have one loose thread, but not enough to fuss over.

So, in essence, I have a $200 40 degree set. After two outings with it, I ended up purchasing a 20 degree set from HG. Contrary to popular belief, it does get cold in TN.

Hammock
    Walahalla Monolite 1.5
    Tarp
    Dynemma Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Mt Washington
    Suspension
    Whoopies slings
    Images
    I have a Hangtight top quilt and I love it. I feel like the price is reasonable for the amount of work that was put into it. It's very warm, I've had it down to the mid 20's and I was toasty warm all night. I have a 30F HG econ underquilt and the two are a great combination.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    Dutch Xenon Hex
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/ EE
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Websites are a relic at this point. It's okay to have one, but the evolution of the internet is forcing people away from the old style "whateveritis.com" storefronts to using an already made marketplace. Etsy is a great place to buy stuff. Kickstarter, too. Don't judge a business by the storefront they choose.

Hammock
    SB Pro (modified)
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Spider/Poly
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetCharriot View Post
    So, working on a budget here and looking for my first TQ and UQ. Stumbled across Steve's work here (specifically heat seeker combo) and I think I've seen some mention of his product on the forums before, so I thought I'd reach out to those of you with some experience. Whadya think? Link to the shop below!

Hangtight Shop

Over a year ago I purchased 2 of the Costco black diamond down throws after seeing a lot of chatter on the hammock forum about these items with most members doing DIY projects with them. I converted one of the throws to an underquilt using the FB post by Josh Sanders (no-sew option). Unfortunately, the shock cord didn't hold using this no-sew method when I was on one of the winter hammock hangs. The 2nd throw I used on some trips for augmenting my insulation. All along I felt I wasn't getting the optimum use out of either throw due to my limited DIY sewing skills.

I came across a few hammock forum discussions about the HangTight quilts and noticed there were many favorable reviews on the HangTight Etsy page. I got in touch with the owner Steve and we made arrangements to ship my 2 throws to him and have one converted to a 40 degree underquilt and a 20 degree heatseeker top quilt. Although I already have one of the HG Econ 20 degree underquilts, the following factored in to my decision to try the HangTight quilts.

* He allowed me to ship the 2 throws I currently owned for conversion to top and bottom quilt. The value of the throws was subtracted from the total price so only labor charges were incurred.
    * The sewn footbox on the HangTight top quilt is standard rather than an upgrade.
    * I didn't mind some of the materials of the Costco throws are inferior to materials used by other cottage vendors that do insulation as I don't camp in harsh conditions like some who live in the North and Northeast. I didn't need anything mission critical.
    * The fact I could purchase a top and bottom quilt for nearly the same price as only 1 econ quilt from the other vendors definitely is appealing. It's my understanding currently HangTight has a complete full length 40 degree set (known as hotfoot series) for around $158 and a complete full length 20 degree set (known as HeatSeeker) for around $209.

I've only used the 40 degree underquilt and it is very functional and I've had no issues. This Fall and Winter I look forward to field testing the Heatseeker Top Quilt. I am impressed with the build quality on both. I didn't opt for any upgrades or customizations which are also available.

This thread has had some excellent feedback from various members and I hope my input will also help the OP in making their purchasing decision. There are many variables and each of us has a different set of circumstances on this sort of purchase.
    Last edited by Hiker_Section; 07-08-2020 at 15:13.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Me and my buddy both have HangTight Heatseeker quilt sets and they are awesome! Super warm and you cannot beat the price and the quality is good

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12