Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hangtight hangs alright?

So, working on a budget here and looking for my first TQ and UQ. Stumbled across Steve's work here (specifically heat seeker combo) and I think I've seen some mention of his product on the forums before, so I thought I'd reach out to those of you with some experience. Whadya think? Link to the shop below!

Hangtight Shop

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    As far as I know, he's reselling Costco down throws repurposed into hammock quilts. I didn't realize how expensive Hangtight quilts were. No way I'm touching that (and if you can't figure out how to set up a website and have to set up on Etsy, I'm not buying from you anyway).

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...g+tight+costco
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WB BB XLC
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    As far as I know, he's reselling Costco down throws repurposed into hammock quilts
    He says in the listings that they are "made using Double Black Diamond quilts". I believe those are the brand available from Costco in the US.

I didn't realize how expensive Hangtight quilts were. No way I'm touching that
    How long does it take to do a good quality double layer sewn footbox TQ and UQ conversion?
    How much do you value your time per hour and rate your sewing experience?
    If your not well paid, have the time and your good at sewing, you could see them as expensive $25-30 quilts. Although being double layer you'd need $50-60 of quilts to start with.
    If that was the UK. I wouldn't be doing my DIY TQ.

and if you can't figure out how to set up a website and have to set up on Etsy, I'm not buying from you anyway).
    Really? Why would anyone bother dicking about getting a website and shop working when Etsy has a good platform?
    A poor website is waaay worse than a good Etsy shop.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    And Kickstarter has a good platform!

"Why would anyone bother dicking about getting a website and shop working when Kickstarter has a good platform?"
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WB BB XLC
    Tarp
    HG hex
    ^ whataboutery is a poor argument.
    Kickstarter is generally full of poor planned ideas looking for someone daft enough to fund it and frequented by punters looking for an idea to gamble on. It's well suited to people who have a great idea but their bank manager would laugh rather than fund them and people who are bored of betting on the horses!

Hangtight is actually selling a finished product. Not a vague promise of receiving something in the future if enough people chip in to make it worth while developing.

If your selling loads of stuff, investing in your own site and shop would be worth while. But then you need to get it seen in search engines.
    For a smaller (hobby) turnover, its probably more cost and time effective, or at least easier to pay Etsy commission for a shop listing.

With your philosophical signature, I expected better reasoning

Well I am not sure I expected this conversation but both of you have helped with the insight I need to make my call. That other thread was just the ticket.

Personally I don't slight the guy for doing good, consistent DYI mods to down throws, and the markup for it makes sense. I am, however much more the type to do it MYself if that's a budget option I should choose to go with. Thanks for the help!

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    I wouldn't consider the website thing to be a huge factor factor - plenty of businesses that only have a FB page or Etsy shop as their website, and that isn't in itself an indicator of quality or potentially purchase risk.

My concern would be more geared towards the product. As mentioned above (and in the product description) these are being made using modified Costco down throws, or something similar. If you put aside the fact that they use 700 fill with an unknown % of feathers vs down, the design of those throws uses a sewn through channel. Even if you took one and packed it full of extra down, I'd still question its efficacy, without cold spots, down to temps as low as 20˚ as stated. It's possible they're taking them fully apart, and adding baffles before reassembling, but one can neither confirm nor deny that without more info than is given in the product listings.

Plenty of good reviews on the shop page, and there were some prior threads here on HF which suggested they appear to be well made though more likely rated to mid/high 30s at best. If you're on a budget, it might be worth it - though it's also potentially a bit of a gamble, depending on what temps you plan to be using them in.

Ya know what? I'm just gonna send Steve a message and ask him about that. I'll get back to you all. Seems odd to me that wouldn't be lurking on the forum around here somewhere anyhow. He offers a nice tour of his sewing room on his etsy page that is adorable. My gut tells me he's an honest guy and etsy is the right place for someone whose honed the craft of down throw modifications, and operates out of his guest room.

So... YEAH. Steve double layers for his heatseeker model designs, which he says knocks out the cold spots. An intentional mod to deal with the through seam issue. Seems legit enough. I'm not ready to purchase yet as I am still waiting for the actual Hammock I want to be restocked, but Hangtight may not be out of the running for me considering my means, depends how desperately I feel the need to shed my 15*marmot synthetic bag with its enormous pack size.
    Last edited by SweetCharriot; 07-06-2020 at 09:59.

In the more budget friendly area, take a look at SLD. His Trailwinder uq is fiddle free and well made.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast