Thread: Aegismax TQ

Hammock
    WB BB XLC
    Tarp
    HG hex

Aegismax TQ

I've been looking for a TQ and have been debating a DIY Apex build, but the compressed size is probably not much better than my half zipper North Face sleeping bag.

Costco DQ aren't available in the UK and there's not much choice for a similar one and 500-600fp down is a fairly average choice anyway.

With 800fp, this rectangular Aegismax bag looked to be a good starting point.

Screenshot_20200705_150031.jpg

As it's sewn through, the plan is to rip (pink) the centre and alternating seams and then faux baffle (orange) the remaining seams. Also shorten the length of size large and sew a taper foot box to make the most of the down.

Since ordering it yesterday, I've found this post, from GadgetUK, with similar thoughts.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...light=AEGISMAX
    Last edited by Singlespeed; 07-05-2020 at 16:06. Reason: Fixed link

Hammock
    Mosquitohammock Jungle
    Tarp
    DIY Sil-Poly
    Insulation
    Testing UQ/TQ :)
    Suspension
    DIY Dyneema UCR
    I've got one of those I'm modding for an UQ. I bought the aegismax windhard top quilt and it's great and needs no modifications.

Hammock
    WB BB XLC
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Pandy View Post
    I bought the aegismax windhard top quilt and it's great and needs no modifications.
    For outdoor gear that you don't want to wash very often, translucent white is a poor choice imo.
    If it was a sensible colour, I'd have probably ordered that instead.

Hammock
    Mosquitohammock Jungle
    Tarp
    DIY Sil-Poly
    Insulation
    Testing UQ/TQ :)
    Suspension
    DIY Dyneema UCR
    Yes the colour was off putting for me too but thought I'd take a punt on it. It's actually more light grey in reality. My friend described it as like being hugged by a cloud which I rather liked! Now it's here and I've used it, it's so good for the price I don't care. My gear doesn't get that grubby as I always wear baselayer and keep everything in the hammock all the time. Having said that, if it was available in black I'd have ordered black! I'm really keen to know how you get on with the faux baffles on that quilt as I was considering doing then same for my UQ but I haven't done because now I've used it in a mock-up, I don't really want to shorten it, and I'm concerned that if I stitch rip etc then the tubes will be too much volume for the amount of down and I'll get migration problems. Not so much an issue in a TQ though.

Hammock
    WB BB XLC
    Tarp
    HG hex
    I ordered it on 4th and received the sleeping bag on 15th, so reasonably quick delivery.

1st impressions were it was light at 590g + 25g for the stuff sack. Materials and finish seem good and having a large mesh storage bag is good at the price.

Besides being sewn through, a bigger problem if used as a bag, would be from the zip, as there's no baffle to insulate the zipper teeth and exposed tape.
    Although that didn't worry me and the zip will be easy to remove without breaking into the down filled tubes
    IMG_20200717_101056.jpg

Opened out flat, the centre two tubes are slightly wider and I was unsure if it would be too large to seam rip so opted to leave them for now. However the centre two didn't seem to loft quite as well as the rest. So I decided to harvest some down from the two edges whilst doing the taper. Oh my, that proved to be fun

With the down shaken to the top, foot box (drawn around a large lid) and taper marked out.
    IMG_20200717_100906.jpg
    then sewn through along the line.

Excess cut off and residual down vacuumed up
    Edge tubes opened up and some down vacuumed out, stitched up again ready to break into the centre tubes. I found a pair of salad tongues worked best to get a pinch of down from the vacuum bag and into the tube with minimal loss.

With the fun over and carnage vacuumed up for a final time, the footbox was sewn together and a small roll hem on the raw edges.
    IMG_20200719_130709.jpg
    IMG_20200719_130808.jpg

557grams in its stuff sack.
    IMG_20200719_125659.jpg
    Last edited by Singlespeed; 07-19-2020 at 16:31.

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    I have 3 of these. 2 are used for UQ. Easy mod. just sewed folded grosgrain ribbon to the inside of the zipper. Then fed shock coed through both sides. Easy summer weight UQ. I use the third unmodified as a TQ. Nice set up in my opinion.

Hammock
    11.5', 1.3 MTN Hybrid XL
    Tarp
    3*3 m 15D diamond
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Turtle Ties
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff-oh View Post
    I have 3 of these. 2 are used for UQ. Easy mod. just sewed folded grosgrain ribbon to the inside of the zipper. Then fed shock coed through both sides. Easy summer weight UQ. I use the third unmodified as a TQ. Nice set up in my opinion.
    I ordered the same quilt and plan to do a UQ mod. Could you maybe post some photos? Did you leave the zipper attached?
    My plan is to remove the zippers, reduce the width by cutting of one baffle on each side and attaching those baffles as draft collars at the ends. Basically a hammockgear Incubator clone.

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    I made no changes to the product. I sewed the folded-in-half, grosgrain ribbon directly to the inside surface of the zipper fabric. Thus, it still functions as a sleeping bag if needed. I did also sew line toggles to the corners to attach suspension to keep it from sliding. I can understand the mods you are proposing. For me, I wanted easy and simple.

• + New Posts