Hammock
    Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    More pics, including the progression of the 1 tree one pole setup. Backyard experiment, using pole while camping with 4 lines and 8 stakes as anchors, two lines and one motorbike as anchor.

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Pandy View Post
    What range of RL height adjustment can you achieve? At some point the guys and RL will be too slack and flapping everywhere. If you crank the tarp right down low, and then slacken the guys, how much height can you gain before you lose too much tension in your tarp and need to go and reset the RL?
    Quote Originally Posted by KBr00ks View Post
    After studying your first photo, nanok, I realized your ridgeline is indeed above the tarp, and that looks like it would work. But ibgary, I can also picture your system and think it seems reasonable.

Would love to see more photos from both of you, if possible.

My next question was essentially the same as Andy Pandy's above: is there a lot of "fiddle factor"? A traditional tarp seems pretty easy to set up -- no need to go back and forth balancing the tension between ridgeline and guylines.
    i guess i should really make a short video to show it

in the photo at the start of the thread, the example is particularly "extreme", as the trees are quite far apart (at the limit of my ucr's, so probably near 10m in all between trees, or about 30ft), this means the tarp starts out quite high on the (reasonably taut already) ridgeline, in it's "straight" postion. after centering the tarp on the ridgeline, you stake the corner tieouts, and loosely tighten them, just so the tarp "opens" but is still not taut. this is the starting, and "highest" position, from here you can bring it down continuously, without retying anything, to wherever you like, and also bring it back up as you like. this makes it particularly easier to also have it higher on one end than the other (which can be handy to deal with prevailing wind coming from one end, and also might be neat for the case of a spreader bar at one end, and using a "forked" ridgeline to cover two hammocks a bit better -- being bale to lower the forked end might help alleviate the watertrap effect of a forked rl)

in other words: there's actually much less fiddle factor than with the typical setup, it feels like magically levitating the tarp above the soon-to-be-hammock, and then bringing it exactly where you want it corner by corner, while being protected from rain all throughout the process, once the staking of the corners has been done (hence the funny title of the thread)

(...)
    is that the famous v-strom hammock stand i see there? is it the 650 or the 1000?

Hammock
    Mosquitohammock Jungle
    Tarp
    DIY Sil-Poly
    Insulation
    Testing UQ/TQ :)
    Suspension
    DIY Dyneema UCR
    A video would be fantastic, especially if you can find some wind. It woul be great to see this in use in real world conditions. Thank you for the explanations.

Hammock
    Mosquitohammock Jungle
    Tarp
    DIY Sil-Poly
    Insulation
    Testing UQ/TQ :)
    Suspension
    DIY Dyneema UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by ibgary View Post
    More pics, including the progression of the 1 tree one pole setup.
    Hi ibgary, I don't want to hijack the thread but what pole diameter and wall thickness did you use, and what length? Is it aluminium 6063 or similar?

Hammock
    Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    KTM 790.
    The pole is about 1", thickness about 1/16. Set of 2 from REI, Kelty tarp poles.

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    As a kayak camper, I carry those poles every trip. Note that REI has two sizes. I use the smaller size for the hammock tarp but if I feel I might need them, I take the large pole set for a larger tarp over the eating area. I don’t know why the camp site designers don’t orient the picnic table so that it’s between two trees for easy tarpping.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

i was out working on documenting some components of my setup which are "unseen", in the process i also shot a few seconds of how the levitating tarp works, which might answer some questions. unfortunately i cannot edit the original post

this shows the tarp in the top position, and how easy it is to bring it low for storm/rain (additionally, it can be brought even lower still by loosening the ridgeline itself a bit; the tensioning system used, the white soft-shackle-VT visible in the upper right corner, allows for very fine and smooth adjustments); unfortunately it was getting quite dark already, but i think you can still see how much range of movement is possible just by tightening the corners. the corners are using the VT based tightening system shown earlier.

and this shows how i attach the tarp to the ridgeline, using the multi-shackle (this one is a quick and dirty knotted one, not one of the nicer spliced ones, but still works just fine)

hope it helps a bit
    Last edited by nanok; 08-07-2020 at 19:33.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123