Thread: UQP length ?

UQP length ?

Hi !

I only use 3/4 underquilt from hammock Gear,
    Do you think I still need a full length UQP or I can use a shorter one to fit the 3/4 ?
    I know that the weight will be approximatively the same but I wonder if a smaller UQP will do his job ?

Hammock
    Mosquitohammock Jungle
    Tarp
    DIY Sil-Poly
    Insulation
    Testing UQ/TQ :)
    Suspension
    DIY Dyneema UCR
    I'm quite new to the world of under quilts but it seems to me a 3/4 under quilt protector will keep the wind and and spray off the quilt but not off the exposed parts of the hammock. If you're after wind and spray protection for yourself rather than just the quilt you might be better off with a full length UQP

Images
    It depends on what you are "protecting" against:

- Mild drizzle? something small will do. But then again, nothing at all works as well.
    - Sideways rain? you need full coverage unless your tarp is blocking 100% of it.
    - Wind? You need to cover the entire quilt - but then again ... tarp!

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Most UQPs being sold, when you boil it down, are essentially a non weight bearing 'hammock' that goes on the outside of everything once the sleeping hammock and insulation is set up, and attaches at the foot and head end(s). I suppose it would be possible to have a shorter one that only went as far down as the end of your phoenix, but then you'd have to get a little creative as to how they would connect and hang, work out how to ensure that it covered the foot end properly so it didn't bunch up or slip off, etc. Might be more trouble than it's worth, but that would be for the user/creator to decide I suppose.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    As far as I know, UQP’s don’t have a size option per say. That is, it is always possible to order a custom one. Most of mine, maybe all, have come from 2QZQ. Remember, the UQP's job is to protect the under quilt and as such, it doesn’t need to cover the whole hammock. So it is small/light weight and fits together with the hammock in the stuff sack. If you need more protection for the hammock, pay more attention to your tarp and/or use a full sock for the hammock+UQ.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Thank you guys for the insight, I will keep it full length and I will also take a look at hammock socks, could be an interesting option to keep some warmth

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Hvn
    Insulation
    Apex/Down
    Suspension
    Birch/Beetle buckl
    Simply Light Designs has length selection for their UQP, 8-11’. Goes for both the ones that are just a cover, and the version that has insulation sewn in and is more of an underquilt. I have both kinds, though I usually only use the non-insulated one if I’m using a more minimal tarp (just in case). I have both in 10’, and they fit well on an 11-foot hammock.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I made my UQP pretty close to full length. It's roughly 100 inches long so that it more than covers both ends of my full length underquilt, though it doesn't fully reach the ends of the hammock itself. My reasoning was that having the UQP longer than the underquilt would allow it to be cinched up and help eliminate drafts at the ends of the underquilt if the quilt itself wasn't sealed up well to the hammock. A secondary benefit may be that it helps block wind and rain from the hammock itself.

If you make or buy your UQP, make sure it's longer than the underquilt it's protecting at a minimum to help seal everything up. Making it long also gives me a redundant hammock, albeit not a particularly good one. Just to test it out I have rigged the UQP alone as an emergency hammock. If my main hammock were to have a catastrophic failure, I could still get off the ground by sleeping in the UQP, though it would be far from ideal. It's 1.0 ripstop and stretches a good bit. I'm unaware if any of the commercial UQP makers recommend using one in that way.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

• + New Posts