Getting a tight tarp ridgeline when using thin trees

Hi, just wondered if anyone out there had a clever solution to a problem I have. I often have to use smaller trees to hang my hammock from. They're plenty strong enough but do bend in a little when you get in the hammock. The problem with this is when you have a tarp rigged between the same two trees which is nice and taught when you attach it, as soon as you get in the hammock the trees bend in a little and it becomes a saggy mess as all the tension is lost in the ridgeline.

Has anyone got any ideas how I could improve this?

Cheers,
    Tom

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Carry some extra non-stretchy but light-n-strong cord such as 2.2mm Dynaglide and run it from the suspension attachment point on the skinny tree and anchor it to the base of another tree, tying off with a trucker's hitch. This counters the suspension force, just like the anchors on a suspension bridge.

If the bend isn't too bad but enough to foul up your tarp pitch, you can use some shock cord on tarp ridge and guy lines to take up the slack. Not ideal, but it works if this is a regular problem.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Think on this … you’re in the hammock, the trees are canting in, you pull some “tightening” mechanism to make your tarp taut. Now you get out of the hammock, forgetting to loosen your tightening mechanism first. What takes on the force of those tree springing back to upright? Just say’ng.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    WB BB XLC
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMagpie View Post
    Has anyone got any ideas how I could improve this?
    Use a stretchy (nylon) cord for a continuous ridge line and get that nice and tight. The span reducing a bit shouldn't loose all the tension.

Thanks for the replies. I'm currently using 2mm dynemma for the ridgeline so there is no stretch at all, meaning it goes slack the moment any tension comes off. But it is quite long so I could try continuing it on to another tree base as suggested.

The tightening from the hammock...maybe doable, but would need to remember to loosen it again before getting out, which I wouldn't!

I think I'm just going to have to add some stretch to the line, either ditching the dynemma or some bungie at the attachment points.

Images
    Create a bungi "rubber band" with 1/8" shock cord and tie that onto the ends of the tarp before tying on the ridgeline.

When you put the tarp up, stretch the elastic as far as it will go. When you sit in the hammock and trees bend in, the elastic will pull the tarp taught.

ditching the dyneema is indeed probably the reasonable solution. especially using a setup like what i described in the thread i just started, a stretchy line, tied to the tree straps, and with some "forced sg" in it (not completely straight) will not go slack from a bit of length variation (it will just change position a little bit). having said that, if the trees flex so much as to make a difference when you sit in, uhm, i would maybe consider different trees

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    This is simply the physics of the situation and if it's sagging too much your most likely hanging from trees to small to use. I guess you could add a bungee style system to keep it tight but is it worth the hassle and really what difference does it make in the long run if the tarp is still doing its job.

Hammock
    The cured intestines of my enemies
    Tarp
    Wing of bat
    Insulation
    Possum fur
    Suspension
    of disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Carry some extra non-stretchy but light-n-strong cord such as 2.2mm Dynaglide and run it from the suspension attachment point on the skinny tree and anchor it to the base of another tree, tying off with a trucker's hitch. This counters the suspension force, just like the anchors on a suspension bridge.
    I've done something similar, but with an extra set of tree straps (to avoid damage to the trees). I had mine run parallel from the suspension attachment point to the other tree. It worked well, but anchoring it to the base of the other tree is an even better idea.

• + New Posts