DIY 1.2 Robic XL
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly XL
    Insulation
    DIY CDT
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks

Spyderline Pusik Suspension

Has anyone here used Spyderline with a prusik as a suspension option? If so, how did it fair? I'm looking at the 2.8mm option (1250 breaking strength) as a single line from my tree huggers with a prusik that slides up and down the line with a whoopie hook for attaching to the continuous loops on my hammock.

The polyester sheath will add additional grip, but I'm not sure it will be enough for a prusik to hold. I know the prusik should be made with smaller diameter rope than the main line for the best results. Might it be better to upgrade the main line to 3.8mm and use the 2.8 for the prusik?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I've never seen nor heard of anyone using prusiks for a hammock suspension. Maybe I wasn't paying attention - but I wouldn't consider that kind of hammock suspension in a million years. And Whoopie Hooks (which I use) are supposed to BE the hammock suspension, not an additional component in a heavier, more complicated suspension.

Very few people use a single-line suspension anyway - it's just never been even remotely popular on HammockForums. However, some people have tried it - I just can't find a thread right now.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    The cured intestines of my enemies
    Tarp
    Wing of bat
    Insulation
    Possum fur
    Suspension
    of disbelief
    Because the prussik is a loop, half the weight is borne by one side of the loop, and the other half by the other side of the loop. Hence your prussik can be made of rope with half the strength.

Ok, in reality there'll be lots of inefficiencies in that loop, so maybe not half strength, but definitely thinner. And thinner will bite better on the main line, so it all makes sense in theory.

But...if you want a single line suspension I'd consider using turtle ties rather than prussiks. I suspect the prussiks might be troublesome to slide and adjust.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I've experimented with Prusik, Klemheist, Hedden and a couple of other friction knots with various materials (not Spyderline, however) and found that if the knot has enough wraps to hold that it is also hard — sometimes very hard — to release after being loaded with body weight.

Nothing wrong with trying it for yourself to see if it works.

IMO nothing beats tying suspension webbing directly to CL, using slipped Lapp hitch or Becket.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    The prusik will slip causing heat damage to your suspension. If it slips a lot, you can be lowered or dropped to ground. Even a little slipping as prusik tightens will probably damage your suspension from friction caused heat.
    A few years back, I made YouTube videos with an amsteel continuous loop, that was used as prusik loop on old style heavy duty tree straps. It worked, but if I failed to hand tighten prusik, it would slide on tree strap.
    I’ve since gone on to other off the wall suspensions that do not use prusiks.
    If no one ever tried anything new, we’d be living in caves and sleeping on the ground!
    For my new ideas, probably only one out of a thousand pan out.
    That’s 999 fails. But to succeed in life, I must get up and try again.

Hammock
    DIY 1.2 Robic XL
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly XL
    Insulation
    DIY CDT
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    My current suspension is Dutch's Speed Hooks. I've been super happy with them in terms of ease of use and adjustment, I just got an itch to try something new and remembered some old conversations about Spyderline from a few years back that I never followed up on. I know it holds knots better than Amsteel, so I wanted to reach out to see if anyone had tried a prusik/friction hitch before placing an order of cordage for myself.

Baka Dasai, good point on the loop being doubled up and able to be a lower strength cord than the main line. That's definitely something to consider as well.

cmoulder, one of my additional concerns was how difficult it would be to release the knot after loading it. I'm glad to hear you've done some testing, even if the results aren't favorable. I actually used the Becket hitch as my primary suspension before I purchased the Speed Hooks and never had a problem with it. Part of my considerations when building a new suspension system is how easy it is for beginners to use. Most of my spares end up as loaner gear at some point and a pre-tied friction hitch is about as easy as it gets, assuming adjustment after loading it isn't too difficult.

Hammock
    DIY 1.2 Robic XL
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly XL
    Insulation
    DIY CDT
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    PG, thanks for the insight. This definitely sounds like it's not the ideal suspension to loan to a newbie. I remember some of your old videos, and was curious if the prusik would grip better on cordage than it would on webbing. It doesn't sound like it's worth it.

I know there's people like you that have tried a thousand different ideas only to have to one pan out. When I come up with an idea, I like to make sure it isn't one of the 999 someone else has already attempted. I'll keep brainstorming to see if I can come up with something new.

Spyderline is a really nice cordage but it is a real pain to splice.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Prusik held ok on old style heavy black tree straps.
    Not likely to hold on new style lightweight straps.
    And prusik not likely to hold well on spyderline.
    It will probably slip, maybe to the ground. Or even
    with slight slippage, likely to burn or chafe Spyderline.

As always, proof is in pudding. Maybe you can make
    it work.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    I experimented with Spyderline early in my hammock journey. Sheath will not hold up under pressure of prusik. It would work for a couple hangs before giving out.

• + New Posts