Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    UGQ

Hammock Gear Econ Burrow and Incubator question

I am looking to get my first set of quilts. Do you recommend the HG Econ series? Importantly, is there a smell due to using duck down? How accurate are the temperature ratings / is overfill down important? Also, if ordering with a pad attachment system for occasional ground use - will that possibly cause damage to a hammock? Anything else I should keep in mind? Thanks!

Hammock
    WBB XLC
    Tarp
    winterdream 11ft
    Insulation
    HG stuff
    Suspension
    becket straps
    Hi

I bought a 30F Econ TQ and 20F incubator UQ recently for uk use, I think its a really good set, and no smell from mine, very well made and warm,I believe the smells one hears about are when down is wet, but not experienced that myself, i am sure someone else will come along with their views for you

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Winter 12
    Insulation
    HG Econ 20* quilts
    Suspension
    beetles
    I bought a 20* set last year. When i used them i didnt notice any smell. The lows where i was would get into the low 30's and i was still plenty warm, even sleeping in my underwear. I have no doubt i could take them comfortably into the mid to low teens with appropriate layering and still be plenty warm.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    There are two kinds of people in this world. Those that can extrapolate from incomplete data.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair(s)
    Tarp
    SLD & Mtn. Fly
    Insulation
    HG 0,20,40 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & webbing
    I really like my HG quilts both econ and the premium versions. No smell from either unless you get them wet which I have not. I have gotten other down wet and the result is predictable.

I Typically sleep cold and frequently use something rated 10-20 degrees colder than the expected weather. I’m usually a bit too warm which is my goal. No over fill on any of mine.

Hope this helps
    The deep mystery gives rise to the spirits -Charc

Always strive to be the best but never believe you are - Juan Manuel Fangio

I have HG Econ Phoenix with 3oz overstuff and it's great. Have not noticed any smells. That said I have not had it wet or in humid conditions yet. I believe any quilt by any brand that uses duck has the potential for a smell when damp. It comes from the natural oils in ducks that keeps them water resistant. I also use a UGQ Bandit top quilt and absolutely love that quilt. It is 20* with 1oz of overstuff duck down. The first time I used it it was very humid and it did have a slight odor the next day. When I got home I did a tumble dry no heat let it air out for a day and I have not noticed any smell sense even after other humid night's. I've had that quilt about 2 yrs now. The next time I purchase a quilt I think it will be goose down, mostly for the weight and volume savings. I would definitely recommend HG Econ series, you'll have a hard time finding a quilt of that quality for that price

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    They have a good product at an unbeatable price.

Now I [HAVE] owned HG - I had the 0* incubator - I still have my Underground Quilts 20* Zeppelin and my 0* Underground Quilts Zeppelin.

Underground Quilts is more expensive and for me their secondary suspension is beefier and their design worked better at keeping the quilt snug and leaving no gaps.

Let me be clear both products are high quality but IMHO the UGQ gear is better designed and never had let me down .

One guys opin

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

Hammock
    Hammock Gear 11'
    Tarp
    12’ Silpoly
    Insulation
    HG tq & uq
    Suspension
    Woopies
    I have the Burrow 30 and Incubator 30. Great quilts. Plenty of adjustability with the Incubator. And haven't noticed any smell.

Morning Slumbering Bear,

I have 2, full, Hammock Gear Econ Quilt sets ( top quilts and under quilts ). One is the 30 degree and the other set is the 10 degree. I got the two sets as I camp all year. I stack the quilts for winter use.

The Top Quilts and the Under Quilts, are both very well made. You will have no worries on the Underquilt suspensions. If I ever need another Top Quilt or Under Quilt, I will buy Hammock Gear and I will buy their Econ Series, again, without hesitation.

I added the quilt hooks so that if needed, I would be able to use a pad, for ground sleeping. I also bought the pad support system. That said, I have used the 30 degree top quilt on the ground. I did not need to use the pad support system. I just tucked , my quilt around me and it worked just fine.

The Hammock Gear Econ series is a hell of a deal. I love the fact that all their Quilts and all of their Tarps, are made here in the USA. That is important to me.

There was a small period of time, a few years back, where they outsourced their Journey Tarps but that is no more. I believe they do have a few products they carry that are out sourced though, one of them is their tarp snakeskins. That said, I would not hesitate to buy anything from Hammock Gear. Their products and their customer service, are superb.

Caveat. I am not an UL guy. I am not a rich person. I use my gear hard and expect it to last. I research heavily before purchasing. I follow the buy once, cry once motto. Get the HG Econ Series. You will not regret it.

Happy 4th.

Bob

Hammock
    DW Chameleon
    Tarp
    Tarpless
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie's
    Images
    I recently got a Incubator and Burrow 20* and neither have any predictable smell to me. Just the typical synthetic fabric smell. Just got them so havent put them through the wringer yet, but initial quality looks great!

• + New Posts