Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I don’t think those tie outs are to stop the swinging as much as they are to assist in pulling the bug net and hammock side away from your face.

I think the swinging is great - except when I’m trying to read. When will Dutch come out with something with a rotating cam and bungee, maybe powered by the wind, and of course made out if titanium, to give a gentle push?

Long ago, when they were located by the Portland Zoo, the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry (OMSI) had an exhibit that consisted of a pendulum on a very long cable. The pendulum’s motion was given a push by the interaction of two magnets - one at the bottom of the pendulum and one on the ground in the center of the arc.

Perhaps there’s a way to use the same magnetic push with a hammock. Note, if you try this, I’d leave any wristwatch with metal parts at home.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    I guess I'm in the minority opposing camp. I tried swinging once or twice and, though it wasn't unpleasant, I never did understand the mass appeal. My wife (God love her) let's me do whatever I want, but honestly, I really don't mind being tied down. It gives me a sense of security and I never wonder what might happen if that next swing gets a little out of hand. Of course, being tied down doesn't mean inflexibly rigid. There's enough elasticity built in to allow for a bit of give here and there when appropriate and still makes it fun to hang out.
    ~ All I want is affordable, simple, ultralight luxury. That’s not asking too much is it?

Hammock
    DW Chameleon
    Tarp
    Tarpless
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie's
    Images
    I love swinging. My usual spot has a very long span, so once you get a little swing going it lasts for a long time. I also do a tie out specifically to pull on to swing (or stop swinging). but do occasionally tire of it and stake down. so it depends on my mood

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    SLD Hex
    Insulation
    SLD Trail Winder
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I used to like swinging but I can't get my wife into it. Just the thought of swinging makes her sick. I'm trying to get through to her wild side but she is sketched out by my usual swinging spot (under a bridge uptown)

Hammock
    Warbonnet RidgeRunner, Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Love swinging but be cautious depending on your suspension. It APPEARS that I had a Warbonnet fishhook cut part of the way through one of their becket suspension straps while swinging. I don't know for a fact this is what happened but I've had the hammock (WB RR) up many times on the suspension and have never had an issue. I was laying in it the other day and had a foot over the edge giving myself a gentle swing. When I took the hammock down, the strap was cut/torn 1/3rd of the way through right at the fishhook.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    The Swing is the Thing~~~~ Personally I so enjoy the swing.
    Got Greenbean the New 2.0 on the backyard right now as my daughter asked if I could hook her up. This is a first!
    Got a rope tied to ridgeline and stake in ground so she can sway and swing to and fro.
    Her dog Bean loves it too.
    Shug
    Shug, your daughter has a winning smile!
    Sometimes I set my hammock in motion, swinging side2side, very comforting as I close my eyes and have sensation of swinging long after hammock has stopped. I hope that’s not an indication of more things wrong with me. I believe her dog eats just to make her happy!
    Enjoy today as it is, it’s never happening again and tomorrow brings new surprises...

Hammock
    RSBTR Trail Lair clone
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    UGQ HG JRB AHE
    Suspension
    Myers Hybrid Dynee
    In the swinging camp.

Currently considering a clever and ultralight way to have cordage rigged and permanently part of my kit that will enable swinging with bugnet zipped closed.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Super Fly Silpoly
    Insulation
    JRB top and bottom
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I like to let the wind swing me with my eyes closed. It's sometimes imperceptible so it's fun to guess if I am actually moving or not and then open my eyes to check. I'm easily entertained.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Big time swinger at home with my hammocks suspended from the red iron trusses. Not so much at camp.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12