DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    SLD Hex
    Insulation
    SLD Trail Winder
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Lineloc 3 slipping

Recently I switched from 2.2mm to 1.75mm guylines on my tarp. I never had a problem with the linelocs slipping before, but I've heard it can be a problem. Has anyone experienced this, and what is the easiest way of resolving the issue? Also, how feasible is it to switch out the linelocs for d-rings once they've been sewn in? My sewing skills are quite limited.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bearito View Post
    Recently I switched from 2.2mm to 1.75mm guylines on my tarp. I never had a problem with the linelocs slipping before, but I've heard it can be a problem. Has anyone experienced this, and what is the easiest way of resolving the issue? Also, how feasible is it to switch out the linelocs for d-rings once they've been sewn in? My sewing skills are quite limited.
    Always happens on the tarps that I have with Linelocks on ridgeline.
    Tie a slippery half hitch behind it and it'll hold. http://www.lovetheoutdoors.com/sport...alf-Hitch.html
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    warbonnet ridgerunner
    Tarp
    DIY Dyneema
    Insulation
    warbonnet lynx
    Suspension
    dutch jewelery
    yes, 1.75 slips, especially in wind

Images
    If you don't want to tie the backup hitch Shug mentions, you could consider changing to a 2mm or 2.5mm kernmatle cord like Lawson Glowire or Guywire. The 2.5mm is overkill for sure as a guyline, but it won't budge in the LineLoc. (Lawson actually developed the 2.5mm specifically for the LineLoc3, IIRC)

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bearito View Post
    Also, if you decide to ditch the LineLocs and break them off the ribbon loops, you could easily replace them with a split ring instead of wondering how to install a plastic D-ring. Two split rings at each corner can be treated like descender rings for the guylines, making tension adjustments easy (this might still require a backup hitch to avoid slipping).

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    I use orange reflect-it on my tarp guylines (1.8mm?) with the Linelocs. I do like Shug suggested, just tie a slippery half-hitch behind the Lineloc once I have the tension set. No issues with slipping after using the slippery half-hitch.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    I use Lineloc 3 hooks with Z-Packs 1.2mm Z-Line on my HG Palace. Out of the box, they won't hold. I modified each Lineloc by adding a tiny cut in the mouth of the 'V' that is the lock on the linelocs. The lineloc now bites the Z-Line without any slippage.

On my two standard tarps I removed the stitching holding the d-rings on and sewed on Lineloc V's which work perfect with the 1.2 Z-Line.

One solution you might try to keep the zingit from slipping (might have been mentioned above) is to throw a slipped bite in the line right under the lineloc as a backup. I do that by habit.. just a backup and gets the extra guy line up off the ground.

That said.. I wouldn't trust a lineloc on the ridge tie out... only on the ground corners.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

(this does NOT answer your direct question of: how to make the linelocs not slip, but might be an alternative) that's always the issue with hardware tensioning systems (they only work for a very narrow range of line diameters and sometimes even material matters). that's why i tried to put together something which works as easily as these linelocs, but is done purely with knots, and no sewing. have a look, perhaps you'll like it (22s showing how it works): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ge10v2VIx-I

like the linelocs, after you set it up (which takes a few minutes), it just works, no need to retie anything (not even a half hitch)

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC/Eldorado
    Tarp
    HG dyneema
    Insulation
    Diamondback,wookie
    Suspension
    Spider/Beetle
    Images
    Z packs sells a lineloc 5 designed for smaller lines. Another option. https://zpacks.com/products/lineloc-v-with-loop. I bought some for the same reason you mention and they work fine. No slipping.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing – George Bernard Shaw

You either need to use the smaller linelocs, or if you are using lineloc 3, you need larger cord. Lawson believes that 2.5mm is the right size for lineloc 3, while Ron Bell at Mountain Laurel Designs believes it's 2.7mm. He believes that while 3mm cord wont slip, it will stress the hardware. Don't know if that's true or not, but his cordage works well in the lineloc 3. Ryan J. at BPL likes the Tarptent cordage in the LL3's.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast