Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Suggestions:

Add Dream Hammock and Simply Light Designs to your possibilities.

I often used an inflatable insulated pad in before i passed it along to purchase a double layer Sparrow. I've had single layer and double layer and my personal preference is for DL for positioning, as previously mentioned. In addition, if you are, or turn out to be, a nightly hanger like a number of us are you may prefer the longevity of a DL over a SL.

A UQ is more comfortable, but I actually like to swing either way, pad or UQ, and keep my options open.

It also depends on what you intend to use your hammock(s) for. (Believe me you are going to own more than one in your quest). If you are looking for a back packing hammock, I opt for a single layer for weight considerations. If you are looking for a truck camping hammock, a back yard lounger, or a nightly hanger where strength and longevity are more important than weight you might want to opt for a DL.

Don't be afraid to modify your hammock so it fits you, instead of you fitting the hammock, e.g. ridge line length.

Lastly, if you have budget constraints or hate paying full retail, watch the FS forum and ebay for one of the ones you would like to try. I have been very blessed to try quite a few hammocks, and most of them by far were lightly used hammocks.

Thanks Oltraildog. I am definitely a backpacker, and the pad if more for lack of UQ than any real choice, though the idea of having a pad in case of bivy-mode emergency use appeals to my inner boyscout.

Dream hammock seemed a little complex and pricy for me as a beginner, BUT I have just discovered SLD and am really enjoying their options and price point.

A couple new questions that have come up though.. I'm a bit of a wiggly sleeper, and I''m wondering what the advantage of ordering a wide would be. I'm unclear on what the benefit is other than comfort in a general sense.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12