Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cool Taking the big Swing into Hammocks, advice welcome!

Hey y'all!

I'm an actor living in MD, close to DC. Since the world turned upside down I've had the time to get back into camping and packing, and now I've already got a trip to Montana coming up, and planning a section hike for next year! I've been going full weekend warrior with a jury-rigged eno double nest set up the past few months, and it has revealed the beauty of hammocks to me. Watched about every video I could find, and finally took Shug's advice to join the forum. Looking to trade up my gear, and am very grateful for this resource.

Definitely want an assym lay, bouncing back and forth between warbonnet BB XLC, Eldorado, and Chameleon.

I could write a Russian novel worth of questions, but I narrowed it down to 3 for starters:

Is double layer really necessary for a pad? (or bug protection)

Buckle suspensions v.s. Becket hitch? (and is the Dutch beetle v WB buckle?)

Tarps.. two door or not two door?

Happy to move my questions to another forum if this isn't the best spot for 'em. Happier to be joining the community.
    Last edited by SweetCharriot; 06-28-2020 at 22:05.

Hammock
    Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck
    Perfect spot for questions.

Check out a few other vendors before buying!

AutumnUltralight.com

Walhalla hammocks

https://www.outdoorsmanoutfitters.com

And

https://www.trailheadzhammocks.com/

They are all amazing companies with fantastic gear and choices.

I have never slept in a chameleon, but I can tell you if you are bigger, or taller than 6ft, the warbonnet may not fit.

A double layer is NOT needed for a pad, and honestly you can go more comfy with a good underquilt!

However I suggest a bug net and a soak in permitherin no matter where u are, if there is skeeters!

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Thanks for the warm welcome and tips Smckinney!

I'll definitely spend some more time on these other vendors, though my first glance makes it look like they aren't asymmetrical.

Luckily I am also 5'11, but was considering the XLC or Eldorado just in case, and also looking at wide models, as I occasionally did some side sleeping in in my goofy Eno setup.

THANK YOU for bringing permitherin to my attention.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Bandit TQ Lynx UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Welcome to the forum! My main hammock is a warbonnet ridgerunner (a bridge style hammock) and I have found that it is a more comfortable nights sleep with a pad than an underquilt. A large part of that is the double layer which means it goes in easy and stays put. From my limited gathered end experience in an ENO I think the pad would move around too much for me, at that point I would just go with an underquilt. The other benefit of the pad is having it if you need to go to ground, bit of piece of mind for me as I tend to be a worrier.

For doors I went with them. Unless you are really counting weight it is pretty negligible and you can always tie them up out of the way when deployed either to each other, tie outs, or some tarps even come with a built in tie back. I have not been stuck in a big storm with my Superfly yet but knowing I can bunker down super hard helps me with that worrying I mentioned before.

Hammock
    Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetCharriot View Post
    Thanks for the warm welcome and tips Smckinney!

I'll definitely spend some more time on these other vendors, though my first glance makes it look like they aren't asymmetrical.

Luckily I am also 5'11, but was considering the XLC or Eldorado just in case, and also looking at wide models, as I occasionally did some side sleeping in in my goofy Eno setup.

THANK YOU for bringing permitherin to my attention.
    All of them will fully customize, if you want to lay right or left, or even symmetrical, they can and will do it. You literally just have to reach out.

Anne Marie Akers is AutumnUltralight.com

Avery Flynn is Outdoorsman Outfitters
    And John And Karen Rammel are TrailHeadz

They are all amazing people and will work with you on anything you need!

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Hey y'all!

I'm an actor living in MD, close to DC. Since the world turned upside down I've had the time to get back into camping and packing, and now I've already got a trip to Montana coming up, and planning a section hike for next year! I've been going full weekend warrior with a jury-rigged eno double nest set up the past few months, and it has revealed the beauty of hammocks to me. Watched about every video I could find, and finally took Shug's advice to join the forum. Looking to trade up my gear, and am very grateful for this resource.

Definitely want an assym lay, bouncing back and forth between warbonnet BB XLC, Eldorado, and Chameleon.

I could write a Russian novel worth of questions, but I narrowed it down to 3 for starters:

Happy to move my questions to another forum if this isn't the best spot for 'em. Happier to be joining the community.
    Hello you thespian you, Enjoy the hammock quest.
    To your queries....no, a double layer is not required for a pad.
    My Hammock and Pad playlist for your perusal....https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...PBkH55Ns90zkAu

As to suspensions reckon it depends on if you want hardware or not. Or Knot.
    Supension Series.....https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...RN4_MaZ8UAyzWm

Doors are handy when needed. I find mostly for wind. Usually I stake down one end and roll up and clip the othere end. Staked end into wind.

Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB minifly
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    buckles
    Hey y'all!

Welcome to HF!
    My experience:
    - a pad works fine in a single layer hammock, and I still use one as often as not. Gives you the option of sleeping on the ground.
    - buckles are quick, easy and reliable, with no learning curve. A good first choice. Then you can experiment with other suspensions.
    - if you only have one tarp, make it a 2-door, like the WB Superfly. You can always tie back the doors, but you can't close them if you don't have them.

Can't go wrong with Warbonnet products, but people might call you lazy.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Super Fly Silpoly
    Insulation
    JRB top and bottom
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I love my warbonnet BB XL and a double layer does help with the pad so you don't have to fiddle with it from inside the hammock so much. As far as a hitch, have you explored the marlin spike with a toggle and some whoopie slings? It works great for me and it's only one very simple knot to learn. Shug has a couple of great videos showcasing that particular hitch setup. Also, I love doors on the tarp (though rarely use them) because it's great to have that option should they become necessary. Hope you have a great time hammockin'!

SC welcome and Happy 4th.

Keep in mind, double layers in fabrics will affect the lay/feel of the hammock.

Id recommend to ditch the pad. Make your next purchase an Underquilt. No mosquito worries from underneath. Best of all, no night time fiddling with the pad. UQ's are super comfortable.

Get the largest tarp you think you might need. Weight difference with the doors, is minimal in my eyes. Better to have the door option when you run into bad weather. You also may wish for the extra privacy, at some point in time.

On the first custom hammock I bought, a Dream Hammock Raven, I went with a symmetrical lay. I was not sure of things and wasnt sure how Id be sleeping. I am glad I went this route. Loved the set up so much, I just ordered a duplicate Raven, for a spare.

Lastly, I went with a web suspension as I already had it available. Initially, I used a no hardware set up, which was pretty cool. I just used slippery halfhitches, with twigs as toggles. Now however, I use Ascender rings. Easy set up, easy adjustment. Bullet proof.

Enjoy the learning curve.

Bob

So much fantastic wisdom from all of you! It’s really helped me peace together what my next step will be. Please accept this image of my ridiculous, but well tested janky Arno set up from her [hopefully] final voyage this past weekend as a token of my gratitude.

105978990_978552859252811_4854909316208836228_n.jpg
    107568615_1339462199583868_3482050135000217870_n.jpg
    107212595_265816474873153_5365296461199993998_n.jpg
    Last edited by SweetCharriot; 07-06-2020 at 08:19.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast