Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lightbulb Amsteel Calculator

Hi,
    I'm new on this forum, I have been lurking on here for quite some time. One of the best things I have gotten from this forum is the whoopie sling calculator. It was handy, but I found it quite clunky to use. I have reworked some of the formulas so you don't have to fiddle with it as much to achieve the results you want. I have also locked the sheet so the only cells you can select are the ones you need to alter, and there's no chance of messing up the formulas. There's no password on the protection so you can unlock and edit if you desire, but be careful as there are a couple of logic formulas on the sheet. I originally made it with macros running a couple of userforms but it wouldn't allow me to upload that version here.

I have also added metric sheets for the people who don't use imperial units. Additionally I have also added a dog bone calculator, because, why not?

I hope this can be of use to people on here, and I hope I haven't stepped on anyone's toes by altering this spreadsheet. I have been using it as a way of staying sane while recovering from a knee injury.

It is attached below, I'm keen to hear peoples opinions of it.

EDIT:- Fixed a couple of formulas to hopefully make it a little more accurate, and also added the option to mark the line from both ends.

Amsteel Calculator No Macros.xlsx
    Last edited by Trueblue862; 06-29-2020 at 22:18.

Quote Originally Posted by Trueblue862 View Post
    Hi,
    ...the whoopie sling calculator...I have reworked some of the formulas...It is attached below, I'm keen to hear peoples opinions of it.
    The dogbone calculator looks pretty handy from my cursory look just now. I downloaded the original spreadsheet years ago and found it handy. I'm sure this update will be useful as well. Seems like the dogbone sheet could also work to make a fixed hammock ridgeline, which is essentially just a really long dogbone. I recently made a couple so I typed in (from memory) the lengths I used and the results look sensible.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

That’s good, glad to hear you like it. I figured the dog bone calculator would double for a fixed ridge line.

I have tried to allow for the shrinkage in the outer sheath so you have enough room for the buries on short dog bones. I haven’t had a chance to test this theory as yet, but I have to make a couple of short ones soon and will adjust the spreadsheet if necessary.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Pretty neat...

These calcs don't include the length lost to shrinkage of the outer sheath at the bury?

When making ARLs I put a fixed eye in both ends and a ucr in the middle, towards the foot end, rather than wasting cordage by doubling back.. Like ucr versus a whoopie.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

I found with my whoopies that the length lost from the buries was gained back as soon as I hung my hammock so I didn’t worry about adjusting for lost length. Except for where it would interfere with the buries, like on the dog bones.

Hammock
    SLD 10' MTN 1.2
    Tarp
    HG Standard DCF
    Insulation
    Enigma/Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    UHMWPE
    Appreciate the clean layout of your dog bone calculator; nice work.

One question, should the user be able to type in text to the Notes field?

Hammock
    WB BB XLC
    Tarp
    HG hex
    I've just used the metric ridgeline page.
    I initially marked the line length required and gave myself an extra 10cm just incase, due to no point F for the tail end bury.
    I needn't have worried as the line length was going to be enough to form the tail bury, so I cut off the unneeded extra.

Quote Originally Posted by Recalc View Post
    Appreciate the clean layout of your dog bone calculator; nice work.

One question, should the user be able to type in text to the Notes field?
    The notes field should be an embedded word document, double click in the field and you should be able to edit it.

Quote Originally Posted by Singlespeed View Post
    I've just used the metric ridgeline page.
    I initially marked the line length required and gave myself an extra 10cm just incase, due to no point F for the tail end bury.
    I needn't have worried as the line length was going to be enough to form the tail bury, so I cut off the unneeded extra.
    Glad it worked for you

I have updated the formulas slightly in the sheet to hopefully make them more accurate. I've adjusted for the length lost in the buries, hopefully I was accurate enough with my calculations. Give it a try and let me know how it came out.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast