Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Californian thinking about hammock backpacking- First experiences sleeping in a hammock.

Hi all,

I've camped and backpacked off and on for the past 40 years, almost exclusively in California. Mostly with tent, sleeping bag, and ThermaRest self inflating pads. I don't sleep great, but ok. In the past few years I've added a folding foam pad (Z-Lite type) under the ThermaRest and it's better. Even at home I toss and turn a lot and generally my back convinces me when it's time to get up.

I would like to hike the Appalachian Trail or at least some 4 week+ segments in the next few years. Reading lots of trail journals I am starting to become convinced that hammocking is the way to go for hot/humid/muddy/steep camp sites and to be close, but not in the AT shelters.

I have taken my share of naps in hammocks, but only overnighted once, 30 years ago in my 20's. I didn't sleep well. On a whim a few years ago I bought a Byer of Maine "Moskito Kankoon". It's a netted end-gathered hammock measuring 116" long. I'm 5'10 and approaching 200 pounds.

I decided before buying a fancy modern camping hammock I ought to figure out if I can sleep in one, so strung the Byer up on the back porch. The first night in the Byer I slept fitfully but only made it about 4 hours before heading inside. The second night I pitched it a little tighter which wasn't the solution and gave up after a few hours. Night 3 I added a ridgeline at 5/6 the total length and managed to sleep pretty well for the night. Last night, after watching Shug talk about ridgelines and how his is much shorter at about 3/4, I shortened mine by 4" to make it about 4/5. I think that's about as good as it will get with the Byer.

Some things I've noticed is that I don't feel compelled to toss and turn as much. I'm not as flat as I would like and figure I won't be until I get a longer, better hammock. My back doesn't get sore, even if I'm not sleeping as well.

More to come.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    My comfortable hammock is 12x6
    You might be comfortable in 11x6
    or 11 x 5 and a half feet wide.
    Some campers are comfortable in shorter hammocks.
    You will need to try several different sizes and
    see which you like best.
    If you are going to hike many miles—
    weight and bulk are a consideration.
    It could even push you into a larger tarp and pack.
    It’s a balancing act with some trade offs.
    Good luck!

hi from California as well! I tried hammock camping years back, and it wasn't really for me.. but now I'm thinking of dipping my toes back in.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    My experience starting in hammocks was similar in that I didn’t always sleep long but wow I didn’t feel sore the next day. Like any new thing, your brain doesn’t tend to relax but that gets better the more you do it. Same in the woods - first night I hear all the noises. Next few nights the sleep gets better and better.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Yeti 20
    Suspension
    homemade whoopies
    I slept fine on the ground well into my 40's. Now into my 50's, I really really prefer a hammock. My hips hurt sleeping on the ground. I will say though, there are some never pads that are about 3" thick but pack very flat. They are a massive improvement over the Thermarest style pads. If you need to be on the ground, like when camping with the Mrs, get a nicer pad.

Hammock
    Dutch Cameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    HG Burrow,Phoenix
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Howdy from Nor Cal. It took me two nights to get a full sleep but I have only ever laid in my chameleon from Dutch. I got into hammocking to get off the ground. Shug is the man, he has so many good how to videos. Now that I have been sleeping all night with no pain, I don't see myself going back without a fight.
    Hindsight is always 20/20

Hammock
    DW Chameleon
    Tarp
    Tarpless
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie's
    Images
    Good to see more hangers in CA! Welcome

Hammock
    1.6 hyperD 2.2 hex 1.7 mountain
    Tarp
    9x9 1.1 oz silnylo
    Insulation
    sleeping pad
    Suspension
    whoopy slings
    Images
    It's the "Hey, my back doesn't hurt" that has me sold. I have some work to do tuning my gear, but the lack of morning back pain while camping sure is nice.

I'm a Colorado mountain goat who was transplanted to Virginia. If you hike the AT we might run into each other. Happy wanderings

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    Hex Fly
    Insulation
    JRBs!
    Suspension
    CLs + Whoopies
    I agree with all the other posters that there's a fair amount of tuning involved, but to me the payoff is worth it. I've so rarely had a good sleep in a tent, but in a hammock, oh yeah I have.

I hike mostly in SoCal, and the one thing I would say is sometimes there are pines with such diameters you can't get your huggers around them, so I've had to go looking for smaller trees to hang on.

Welcome

Hammock
    WB--Dutch-Clark-Amok
    Tarp
    WB-CC-UGQ-Amok
    Insulation
    Down and Synthetic
    Suspension
    CL/Becket~LA/ 7/64

Modify your suspension to suit your needs.

[QUOTEI hike mostly in SoCal, and the one thing I would say is sometimes there are pines with such diameters you can't get your huggers around them, so I've had to go looking for smaller trees to hang on.[/QUOTE]

Are you using the stock huggers and rope that came with your hammock? If so, pick up some longer huggers or swap out the ropes for continuous loops and then you can use tree straps instead of the huggers. Also carry a couple “Dog Bones” of different lengths.
    There are so many suspension types to choose from. Becket hitch, whoopies, buckles.
    Don’t let big trees stop you from hanging in a great location!
    Livin’ Large ~ Horizontally

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast