Tarp
    HG The Journey
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Dutch BeetleBuckle

Question Under-quilt?

Hi all:

I'm new here, and new to "hanging", having recently ordered an HH Explorer Ultralite Zip XL. I'm curious about options for under-quilts that are compatible with the HH asym "geometry". I've seen a few reviews where people complain about regular under-quilts preventing them from sleeping at a diagonal, etc.

I also saw the Potomac which they describe as especially built for the HH line, but again, I've seen reviews that say they don't fit the XL hammocks that well?!

I mostly camp from late spring to early fall in Canada, where temps at night are usually between 5C and 25C. ~(40-75F)

I don't want to break the bank, but I also know you (usually) get what you pay for. What are people's recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    HomerJ, welcome to the forum. I’m going to use some abbreviations:

UQ = Under Quilt
    GE = Gathered End (hammock) as differentiated from a Bridge hammock. A Bridge hammock has spreader bars at head/foot ends.
    UQP = Under Quit Protector. It’s another sheet of breathable nylon that hangs under, and up the sides, of the under quilt. As such, it’s another barrier against the wind (the wind is what steals your heat).
    WB = WarBonnet, a hammock vendor

A lot of us have started with an HH. The only specialized UQ’s I know of for a GE hammock is the JRB Nest that allows for the classical HH bottom entry and the Wookie for the WB Blackbird/XLC. There are a few schools of thought on UQ “fit” and it is best if you have someone in the hammock while you adjust it. I seldom have someone else around so I mostly use an UQP because, among other things, it makes the UQ fit less critical.

The idea is, if you look at a hammock with no one in it. it seems natural that you’d want the ends cinched up snug. But if someone is in the hammock, diagonally, those tight ends can exacerbate a gap rather than letting the quilt form to the shape of the hammock - which it would do if it were looser. The Lore is, the UQ suspension should be tight enough that it lifts the hammock if no one is in it. But not so tight that it compresses the down. Some UQ’s are designed with more billow on the bottom (they have a top and bottom side) so they can be snugged up against the bottom of the hammock without concern for compressing the insulation. It’s called a differential cut.

Your height can make a difference. I’m a short dude so a ¾ length UQ is almost full length for me. I think I’d still prefer 3/4th length even if I were taller because that length focuses the insulation around my torso and my diagonal puts my legs under the UQ suspension. I can easily add some sit pad or other small additional insulation at the foot end if needed.

Because people have different internal “heaters”, only you will know if a 40 degree(F) UQ will keep you warm at 40 degrees. If it's iffy, you can add the UQP I mentioned or wear warmer night clothes.

One could go on and on and on … and on … But that’s what all these topics in the Forum are for.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 06-27-2020 at 16:15.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ridgerunner/ chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch beetles
    Simply light designs trail winder changed the UQ game for me. Check em out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG The Journey
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Dutch BeetleBuckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltfly View Post
    Simply light designs trail winder changed the UQ game for me. Check em out
    Thanks @saltfly ! Are you using it with a Hennessy hammock?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    JacksRBetr 12 x 10
    Insulation
    JRB 20deg set
    Suspension
    Straps & Whoopies
    I want to introduce you to Shug. He's a long time hammocker, backpacker, a member these forums and has a fun video on just about everything hammocking Here's his underquilt playlist. It's better than anthing I've got https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9N3...mBYSPGHjdyGqsL

Your basic underquilt (including the HH supershelter pad) is a slightly tapered rectangle and is compatible with a HH, or pretty much any gathered end Hammock.

I used a supershelter on an expedition zip for years and I loved it down to 40 or so. I switched to a 20 degree underquilt from Jacks R Better a few years ago https://www.jacksrbetter.com/product...-3-underquilt/ It fits perfectly the hammock haven't had any issues with sleeping diagonal. If for some reason I did, it would be no big deal to adjust the UQ. If you click on the link, the second pic is of an UQ on a Hennessey.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    HG Asym, WB BMJ
    Insulation
    HG All the way!
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HomerJ View Post
    Thanks @saltfly ! Are you using it with a Hennessy hammock?
    I recently purchased a pair of the trailwinders and I've used Hennessy's for many years. You won't have any issues getting a good seal with the hammock, I like the symmetrical version that I got but I use a symmetrical hammock and frequently switch my direction of lay.

The only asymmetrical part of the Hennessy is the bug net which pulls it into its shape using the tie outs. Those tie outs are what can cause a gap with the UQ. I most often just didn't use the foot end tie out located near your right knee and that solved any issues I had. I've since moved on to other hammocks but never had a problem with any of the standard under quilts on my zip Hennessy's.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG The Journey
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Dutch BeetleBuckle
    Just a follow up to my initial post, I cheaped out (I know, I know, some will say I've offended the hammocking gods) and went with a OneTigris underquilt. I've tried it once and after fiddling with it a bit for placement, I think it works pretty well.

We'll be going out this weekend and in 2 weeks, so it'll give me a chance to try it in colder weather, but I think it'll do what we need for now. I'll get pictures next time I hang it up and report back.

Thanks to all who have replied.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Nothing wrong with cheap, if it works for your needs. Ain't no one here paying your bills.

Hammock
    Hennessy/Dutchware Cham
    Tarp
    MYOG SilPoly Hex
    Insulation
    Climashield APEX
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle
    Hey, How did the OneTigris end up working out?

Nick

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG The Journey
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Dutch BeetleBuckle
    Nothing wrong to say about the UQ itself as far as keeping me warm. It doesn't pack down as much as I would like though so I don't really see me using it when hiking/backpacking. I'd use it without hesitation on a canoe/kayak trip where there's a bit more room for gear.

• + New Posts