Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    UGQ

Hammock Gear Winter Palace Tarp

Hello crew! I知 looking to order the hammock gear winter palace tarp in the next week or so. It seems like the price quickly adds up with SilNylon tarps to the point that it might make sense to just invest in a dyneema tarp from the start, but I知 not certain. If you have other thoughts please let me know. Due to the cost of dyneema I知 looking to get 1 tarp that would work well for myself and also a 2 hammock setup using beetle buckles and a separator bar when I bring a friend or family. Does this setup still work fine if there is a significant weight difference between people? I have a couple of additional questions:

1. What tarp ridgeline length is likely best to accommodate an 11 foot hammock as well as a 2 hammock setup? I understand that increased length can make it a challenge to hang in tighter spaces and I知 curious if anyone has insight to help guide my decision. Appreciate it.

2. I知 also looking to order some dutchware lines and hardware - what is the most user friendly setup? Can you recommend a solid setup for both guy lines and ridgeline etc? Fleaz? The more specific the better. Thank you!

Hammock
    Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    I have 3 tarps in 3 sizes one is Cuban fiber. It is much lighter. It is also the hardest to pack. Don't know why, but doesn't like the tarp sleeve at all.
    The largest/heaviest is the Journey by Hammock Gear. If I'm not alone I take it. The size allows me to set it up in porch mode (thanks Shug) and have room for 2 or 3 people to get out of the rain.
    The Warbonnet Mini Fly is my go to tarp when I'm traveling alone. Its seen a lot of trips and is deserving of retirement, but I like it and just keep using it in spite of a large patch where a state was launched and put an 8" tear in it.
    From your plans of usually doing a double hang I think your plan for a large tarp is sound. The dynema/Cuban fiber is much lighter, but quality tarps are so light it's still only a few ounces of difference. What's more important space or weight? On a motorcycle the answer is space, hiking its weight. The dynema takes more space because it doesn't like to be stuffed down. I roll it and fold, but it still takes more room.
    Tarp ridge lines. I use zing it in 25' lengths. That seems long, but it allows me to use the extra as a clothe line and have and not need than need and not have. Think trees 20' apart.

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Thanks so much IBGARY for a thoughtful response and photos! I appreciate it.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    I'm apparently of the same school as lbgary. I have a HG Winter Palace (and a Hammocktent 90 CF camo tarp) that are super nice and reserved for backpacking where weight is the primary concern. For ordinary use and truck camping I prefer to use a HG coated nylon and an inexpensive Silnylon 10x12 tarp that I have had for years.

I have had to patch the HG WP after the WBRR wore a hole in the tarp during a horrendous surprise thunder storm cell blasted me one dark night. It was very easy to repair and I highly recommend having a patch kit.

I will not miss the opportunity to say that I had a very nice Silpoly tarp that I purchased from Mountain Wilderness in 2015. However, he had placed the ridge line tie outs on the wrong axis and asked me to send him back the tarp to replace the pullouts. He never returned the tarp even after several contacts and assurances he would. But I suppose we all have an idea of what happens to the dishonest and thieves.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    If you like to play around with numbers a little, you can figure out the max comfortable height you want to set your hammock suspension - what you can comfortably reach. Then, using the Hammock Hang Calculator,

http://theultimatehang.com/hammock-hang-calculator/

you can determine the max distance between trees. Your hammock suspension height on the tree goes up and the trees get further apart. So that will give you your max separation. Now you have to decide on the max diameter of the trees you’ll be using. Multiply that by Pi (3.14) x 2 (two trees) and add the tree distance and that gives you a target for you tarp suspension length. I discribed a continuous ridge line but the same idea works for split ridge line.

I used to carry just a 50 ft hank but because of the kindness of some UL’ers, I’m learning a few new tricks and this summer, will drop back to 30 ft Dyneema with an extra - just in case - extension.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    I guess the most important question would be what are your priorities in a tarp, other than size (which you alluded to), and why?

A Winter Palace is over $400 new ... with all due respect I can't imagine what could possibly "add up" on a sil tarp in order to get to the point where the WP is a better idea simply from a cost perspective, unless you're talking about buying multiple tarps, accessories, etc.

Don't get me wrong - I have sil tarps, as well as a Winter Palace, so I'm not in any way suggesting that one is or isn't worth it. However in my opinion the only real benefit to a DCF tarp is if weight is a factor (with a bonus that they're easier to repair in case of damage, I suppose). If cutting pack weight isn't a top priority for you, and one that's worth the cost per ounce investment, then there's not much that a DCF tarp does that a sil tarp can't do, for significantly less money. For example:

A Warbonnet Superfly costs $135 and weighs 19oz - that works out to around $7/oz

An UGQ Penny Pincher Winter Dream costs $125 and weighs 19.3 oz - that works out to around $6.50/oz

A Winter Palace costs $415 and weighs 9.14oz - that works out to around $45/oz

All are well made, of similar size, and excellent tarps. The major difference is weight, and that comes at a huge price bump for the lower weight option. I have all three, and I'd happily recommend any of them to anyone, anyday, in regards to build quality and how well they perform.

That said, I suppose my suggestion is that I wouldn't rule out non-DCF tarps out of the gate, unless you have a specific need for what DCF brings to the table that sil doesn't, since you can pretty much get 2 sil tarps of similar size to the Palace, fully outfitted, for the same price as 1 stock DCF Palace with nothing added. If ultimately you decide that cutting your tarp weight in half is important enough to you to increase your price per ounce by 7x, then pull the trigger - it's a great product from a great company. If that 10oz savings isn't a priority, then you could buy one of the other tarps AND a hammock to hang under it for the same price.

As far as using it for 2 person hanging, I can't speak to that, though again size-wise all three tarps mentioned above would perform similarly in that respect, due to their similar sizing.

Good luck!
    Last edited by silentorpheus; 06-30-2020 at 11:44.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    HG incubators and
    I have a 11' Palace and it works fine for me. Like everyone else has stated the upside is lower weight and the downside is packability and puncture resistance. I am debating about converting my wife over to a 12' palace from here superfly. The price tag is a tough pill to swallow.

One item I think is a significant plus that hasn't been mention is water retention. I have had silpoly and silnylon tarps and both will hold a significant amount of water weight compared to DCF. My wife's superfly with all hardware weighs 23.7 ounces and I swear that after a real rainstorm that thing weighs 2lbs easy.

Hammock
    Dutch Cameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    HG Burrow,Phoenix
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    IMG_1611.jpgIMG_1610.jpg

I am happy so far with the investment I made in the Hammock Gear 12' DCF Palace. Its 12 ounces and is easy for me to put in a snakeskin and pack up in the outside of my pack. It is light as heck. I also am not shy about telling people about Hammock Gears service. They will take care of you. Harry is top notch.
    Hindsight is always 20/20

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    UGQ
    After thinking it over, I am going to go with a minifly - it seems perfect for cost, size, weight for 3 season use on most reasonably fair weather weekend trips. Next year I’ll consider investing in a winter palace type tarp to serve my needs for 2 hammock coverage or providing insurance on longer solo trips where weather is more unpredictable. Thanks so much!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Thanks for this!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast