Hammock
    Hennessy

VA> Shenandoah> 06-27-2020 -- Test Setup Site for Family

Hello All, I am new here, but have found a lot of good information so far, and I think that someone here might be able to help me with a quick question. I have recently gotten back into backpacking and decided to go with a hammock. Of course, wife and kids (8 and 11) want to come now too which is even more exciting (and complicating). So, I've obtained hammocks for them. I initially planned on our first overnight other than the yard being in Shenandoah on an easy trail just hiking in a mile or so, setting up, hanging out, cooking and sleeping then heading out the next day. Unfortunately, that's not going to fly with my 8-year old. She's going to need more time to adjust before being in the woods and knowing I've just hung up a bear bag. So, this weekend we're taking a day trip to Shenandoah to scout around, day hike and just be tourists. We're going to enter the park at the Swift Run Gap entrance on Hwy 33 and travel north. I still want to get some time with the kids adjusting to the hammocks, but we won't be staying the night in them. We will be staying Saturday night outside the park. Does anyone have a recommendation of a trailhead or parking area where we could easily access a suitable site to setup four hammocks and act like we're camping for an hour or so, just to put the hammocks up all together and spend some time in them reading or chatting? Thanks in advance for any advice you can give! Sorry for short notice.
    Last edited by Eastbynoreast; 06-26-2020 at 14:14. Reason: Fix thread title

Hammock
    WBBB & FreeBird
    Tarp
    HG CF
    Insulation
    Incubator & FJ
    Really through SNP the possibilities are endless. You can stop at almost any trailhead parking hike for a little bit, get off the trail and set up your hammocks. There are a lot of people who visit but plenty of woods and trees. If you get off the AT it will be quieter and away from the road. Have fun and let us know you make out. I would watch out near Dundo. There was a good bit of bear activity in the area the last time I was near there.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    I assume you are driving North when you enter the park and not hiking in. The South River Picnic area is only about 3-4 miles into the park. You'll see an access road turn off to your right as you drive North. I haven't been there in a few years, but as I recall it's a pretty nice area. I know there are picnic tables but I can't remember if that particular picnic area has shelters or not. I also can't remember the tree density there, but you pretty much won't have any difficulty finding adequate trees for hanging virtually anywhere in SNP. I'm fairly confident that you could find something on the fringes of the picnic area.

Bonus: There's a trail head there that will take you down to the South River Falls. It's a nice out-and-back hike of about 4-5 miles round trip. You'll actually come to an overlook where you can (sort of) see the falls before you get to the bottom, but it's worth it to go all the way to the bottom for the best views. The kids will enjoy rock jumping and playing in the water at the bottom of the falls. The hike is not too difficult and is willing kid and dog friendly. But you do hike downhill to the falls first, then back up when you are done. So if your kids are like mine and get surly when they get tired, then you might want to pack some "incentivizers" for the hike back up. Don't forget to take water, particularly for the hike back up. And maybe take a light towel in case the kids have a little too much fun at the bottom. As an alternative to the trail, you can take a Fire Road most of the way down and back instead. It's a bit more circuitous, but it's wider and less rocky so a little bit easier to hike. Another option, take the trail down and the fire road back up and turn it into a loop. I recommend that you go to the SNP website. They have trail information and maps.

Enjoy!
    ~ All I want is affordable, simple, ultralight luxury. That’s not asking too much is it?

Hammock
    1.6 hyperD 2.2 hex 1.7 mountain
    Tarp
    9x9 1.1 oz silnylo
    Insulation
    sleeping pad
    Suspension
    whoopy slings
    Images
    Talk with a ranger. they should be able to help you. If you've not already left, you might want to pack a picnic lunch. Happy wanderings

Hammock
    Hennessy
    Thanks all! Great strike mission scouting trip where the little ones had a great time and good first visit to the mountains. We spent a bit too much of their energy day hiking on Saturday, but still got a short hike and a chance to hang their hammocks for a few minutes on Sunday. Might be back this weekend for a backcountry overnight. We'll see...

• + New Posts