Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

JRB was the first

I love my JRB stuff. I have a couple Summer quilt liners, a Stealth, and a Sierra Sniveller. Yesterday, on YouTube I saw another company advertising a new, wearable quilt. Someone had commented about this being a new, remarkable concept. I just had to reply that Jack's R Better had that concept on the market over 15 years ago. I know it doesnt affect me personally, but people ought to give credit where its due.
    Last edited by HillbillyHanger; 06-25-2020 at 17:00.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Kudos to the Jacks but I'd imagine that the concept was not original to them either.

Probably some Peruvian grandma from eons ago, after weaving a llama wool blanket... and she's thinkin' voila! Poncho!!
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

I think JRB was first to have hammock quilts that could be worn, but Kifaru had them more than 8 years ago (not for hammocks), and I don't think Kifaru was first either. The good old Poncho liner certainly spawned a lot of newer versions, and wool blankets before that.

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HillbillyHanger View Post
    I love my JRB stuff. I have a couple Summer quilt liners, a Stealth, and a Sierra Sniveller. Yesterday, on YouTube I saw another company advertising a new, wearable quilt. Someone had commented about this being a new, remarkable concept. I just had to reply that Jack's R Better had that concept on the market over 15 years ago. I know it doesnt affect me personally, but people ought to give credit where its due.
    Yep, what he said.
    Hammock Tourist / Hammock Fiend / Hammock Therapist

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HillbillyHanger View Post
    ... but people ought to give credit where its due.
    The problem is they probably do not know where credit is due nor have they heard of JRB. I find that the "national" media types know very little of the cottage vendors.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Imitation being the sincerest form of flattery, Enlightened Equipment recently intro'd their version... Rev-HOLE-ation.
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Standard
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Straps
    Biggest mistake I made with my quilts was selling my Sierra Steath. Back when the Sierra still came with a 900 fill instead of the current 800. I miss that quilt terribly. It wasn't until I got rid of it that I realized how much I used it. I got so excited by swapping it out for a "new" quilt from another vendor. I thought, hey, I'll just get a down puffy for chilly morning/evening and then I can avoid wearing my quilt by the fire but in hindsight, I never wore it around the fire because it blocked the heat from the fire. Going to grab one of these again, simply an amazing piece of kit.
    Brady

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    I've had my Stealth for many years now. Last time out I left my puffer at home, and for the first time use it in poncho mode, sitting around..with no fire and was simply amazed. Sure you don't want to bushwhack with this thing, but when I sit on the Stansport, the front doesn't come close to touching the ground and the footbox in back tucks nicely into the X formed by the legs.

It takes a while for people to catch on.

Here's to credit where credit is do...Thanks Jacks!
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images

Sierra Stealth first impression!

TL;DR .....

(There, that oughta save ya some time!)

But seriously, used mine for the first time last night and this morning during another of my local overnighters and was quite pleased with the functionality of this piece.

The Sierra Stealth is rated for 40°F and last night it got down to 47°F, according to my trusty ThermoDrop, at which temperature this quilt that converts to a serape kept me plenty warm in the hammock. Mine is the regular length and it was more than roomy enough for me at 5-8/168.

This morning I purposely wore a couple of thin layers so that I would get a bit chilled, and then I opened up the velcro for the head hole and donned the quilt as a piece of clothing because I wanted to find out if it was practical for wearing while doing typical morning camp activities... especially heating up that coffee water! When I put it on I was instantly warm, but did not overheat while making coffee, taking down the hammock, folding the chair and getting everything else ready to pack. When sitting in the chair, close to the stove, there was nothing dangling and it didn't require me to be any more careful than I would be when wearing a down jacket.

On my scale the Stealth weighs 514g/18.1oz, which is about 4-5oz heavier than a top-notch Reg/Reg quilt with 10D/950fp. But when you consider that the typical fall/spring puffy weighs about 8-10oz, and that it is typically needed only evening and morning for shoulder season activities, this is an excellent double-duty item that ends up saving a few ounces while reducing gear volume and cutting one more piece from the gear list. And to top it off, it's quite a bargain at $209!

One of the reasons for the Stealth's increased weight is its 20D shell material. I don't know if the Jacks would've laughed at me and said "heck no" if I had requested a lighter material. But, as it turns out, I figured that since this is a wearable item and will be exposed to more potential snags and abrasion than the typical sleeping quilt, the more robust material is a far better choice anyway.

Bottom line — I'm really going to be using this Sierra Stealth a LOT this fall!

20220916_070252-02.jpg

Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    WEB
    Images
    The army issued wearable sleeping bags during the Korean War.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast