Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    I ran grosgrain through the side channels of my Yeti with loops on each end (tacked to the quilt ends) with lineloc3s. The grosgrain serves to make the quilt not be the weak link in the set-up. The head end suspension is light cord and adjust the UQ position along the hammock. Shock cord on the foot end accomplishes the needed tension.

I have trouble with the idea of having the shock cord in the middle as the UQ needs to be able to slide along ANY system with a primary suspension, whether it has a secondary suspension or not. Why not just put the shock cord at one end?
    I've thought of this but I have 10-, 10.5- and 11-ft hammocks and switching among them requires slight tweaking of the shock cord length and tension.

Another consideration is the occasional 'sit-and-miss' wherein you're aiming to sit on the hammock but instead sit only on the UQ... so it's nice to have the extra stretch to absorb that shock and not break or rip anything. I try to be careful but this has happened to me a couple of times.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Quote Originally Posted by Rolloff View Post
    I sort of felt the same way, but now that I have a couple different camping hammocks, along with the one I sleep in most nights, as part of a dedicated UL outfit, they are making more sense. I've also already replaced the suspensions once on my other two UQs, so that's not only weight savings but upkeep.

Jeremy's Bonfire Dutch hook hammock suspension that drops off the Tree strap Tarp Suspension is about as light as I've seen as well. Its kind of like what HH had in mind only it actually works, tightening the tarp pitch upon loading the hammock, instead of the opposite.
    You mentioned dedicated UL as a reason for the Sheltowee setup, but all the ones I have looked into are quite a bit heavier than a more traditional uq setup. Am I looking at the wrong thing? My basic 20 deg hammock/uq setup weighs anywhere from 32oz to 36oz. Lighter is still easily possible. The Sheltowee seems to come in at 54oz up to 64oz.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SLG45 View Post
    You mentioned dedicated UL as a reason for the Sheltowee setup, but all the ones I have looked into are quite a bit heavier than a more traditional uq setup. Am I looking at the wrong thing? My basic 20 deg hammock/uq setup weighs anywhere from 32oz to 36oz. Lighter is still easily possible. The Sheltowee seems to come in at 54oz up to 64oz.
    Yep, with my current total hammock/shelter/insulation (TQ+UQ) weights in the 40oz range it's going to take something significantly lighter to convince me to take the leap.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    SLD, Townsend bridge
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    WB,UGQ,Nunatak
    Suspension
    Beckets
    The hammocks from Bonefire Gear I think were in the running in the weight category and certainly time of setup. But it looks like Sheltowee is marketing the idea to a different audience than the UL crowd.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    SLD, Townsend bridge
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    WB,UGQ,Nunatak
    Suspension
    Beckets
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    I've thought of this but I have 10-, 10.5- and 11-ft hammocks and switching among them requires slight tweaking of the shock cord length and tension.

Another consideration is the occasional 'sit-and-miss' wherein you're aiming to sit on the hammock but instead sit only on the UQ... so it's nice to have the extra stretch to absorb that shock and not break or rip anything. I try to be careful but this has happened to me a couple of times.
    I think TominMN’s setup would check off your boxes.
    1) The line locks give you the ability to tweak the overall length and also the tension.
    2) The shockcord on the foot end gives for the ‘sit and miss’ episodes and if it doesn’t give enough, I believe that his loops on the ribbon are designed to break before the quilt takes the load.

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    As others mentioned- Shock cord is heavy- but necessary for fit and comfort.

Reducing it by substitution (using non-stretch options for part of the length or small diameter) helps, but don't go overboard or you'll get CBS if you go too light on the shock cord... IE- probably better off with a short length of good shock cord on part of it than the full length of SUL shock cord.

Reducing it by elimination (going to four corner, or stretch on one end only) helps too. Going to a Y shaped suspension on one end can reduce total cordage used.

Using shell material, rather than grosgrain to build your quilt channels is an option, but only one you can employ if you build/custom order the quilt.

Finally- on the very real sit and miss issue (or drunken and tangled issue):
    I find a sacrificial lamb is the ideal solution (also solves the various length issue).

Get yourself a mitten hook from RBTR. A mini mitten hook or standard one both offer slightly different advantages.
    https://ripstopbytheroll.com/pages/s...q=mitten+hooks

A mini mitten hook can actually be a hair stronger than the standard in some cases, get a few of each and play with your setup.
    The standard mitten hook tends to stretch out over time if under too much tension- but is easier to operate.

But whichever route you go- add one along EACH primary line or use the regular mitten hook to connect one end that can blow out.

They are strong enough to hold up for the intended use (landing in your hammock) but weak enough to blow out when operator error occurs.

A few spares in your pack will resolve your problem for a gram or two.

SUL gear design rule #42; "Confucius say when working with a design prone to operator error damage: failure is always an option."

Whenever possible it is always lighter to design an easy to field repair point of failure rather than to upgrade the weight of the entire design to compensate for a failure that may never occur.

Cheap *** hillbilly design rule of tumb- .25 cent mitten hook is cheaper than $250 quilt.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Talk to Alex real nice, and be patient as everyone is experiencing extended lead times of one sort or another. You may be able to wrangle a custom Whisper out of Sheltowee. It will be very close to what Jeremy is using in his Full Comfort UL Set Up Video. Although a suspension thread, the way the Whisper connects to Jeremy's Tarp Suspension pretty much eliminates the lash-it and hardware, you'd use with a more conventional CRL or Double set up. Seems pretty light to me.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...od-amp-Clothes
    Signature suspended

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post

Everybody with any significant time in a hammock has encountered sit-and-miss! That's why I make the attachment at one end cheap and replaceable. Not a big deal to adjust both ends to both position the UQ and set the tension. No worse than having shock cord as both primary and secondary suspension.

Quote Originally Posted by m00ch View Post
    I think TominMN’s setup would check off your boxes.
    1) The line locks give you the ability to tweak the overall length and also the tension.
    2) The shockcord on the foot end gives for the ‘sit and miss’ episodes and if it doesn’t give enough, I believe that his loops on the ribbon are designed to break before the quilt takes the load.

Actually, the grosgrain is to ensure that the UQ suffers no damage. See my note above re the intentional weak link. I wouldn't want to have to repair the grosgrain in the field.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12