DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    You might also search around for a (now ellussive) Phincubator.

Back when Hammock Gear was doing full custom orders, you could have an UQ with a length between the Phoenix and the Incubator. Hard to find these days, but maybe someone has one they aren't using.

I had this one a few years back.. Black is the Incubator; Red is the Phincubator and Orange is the Phoenix. These were all Econs and are long gone from my inventory.

Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    George at Loco Libre also allows you to specify custom lengths for his under quilts.

If you go this route, better act quick... he won't be accepting any more orders after 6/30 so he can get caught up with all his current orders.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    I am a massive 6' at 175lbs, hence much more diminutive than the OP. I have both the Phoenix and a AHD (Arrowhead Designs Ridge Creek) synthetic 3/4. I currently have the AHD as my nightly UQ because for the price and abuse resistance I will save the Phoenix for the mountains. The work fine for me and I save the Wooki for the heavy hitting.

I was just looking at the Arrowhead and the price is good and production is not far out like a few months. Might be a few ounces heavier, but I do worry about rain in the NW where I live.

I purchased a used Phoenix from a member here - looking forward to trying it out this weekend. Although I am worried my 13 year old son my try to steal it from me along with my hammock!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by washbuje View Post
    I purchased a used Phoenix from a member here - looking forward to trying it out this weekend. Although I am worried my 13 year old son my try to steal it from me along with my hammock!
    One can hope!
    Having your son join you on the trail, hammock-by-hammock, a good thing!!
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    One can hope!
    Having your son join you on the trail, hammock-by-hammock, a good thing!!
    So far I am really enjoying the under quilt. I do think my son is going to try to steal it from me once he tries it and sees how much warmer it is than when we had him try using a pad. He literally was wrapped in it like a pig in a blanket by morning.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by washbuje View Post
    I am in the market for a 3/4 length underquilt. I was talking privately with a member here on the forum about a Yeti. He ultimately decided he did not want to part with it, which I totally understand. But he also brought up a good point that I am 6 ft. 1 with a long torso and he felt it would be too short. What is a good 3/4 length underquilt for someone who is taller? I will then revise my post in the WTB section.

Thanks,

James
    (EDIT: oops, I missed those last couple of posts where you have already bought a HG UQ. So you did not need my opinion on the Yeti. Oh well, maybe some one else will)
    I am 6'1", my step son is maybe 6'2", and more importantly for me, I have been called "long waisted". IOW, a larger than usual amount of my height is in my torso, I think my inseam is only 30 or 31" max. And neither of us have ever had any trouble using the original synthetic Yeti, which is as far as I can tell identical dimensions to the down model. This UQ, more than most of my other UQs, functions best if it's head end edge is right about my shoulder/neck junction, even a smidgen further towards my shoulders rather than head. Under my head much at all and gaps handy for ventilation when it is too hot will develop. A pillow or small piece of pad supplies head insulation just fine. When set up like this, the bottom edge is several inches below my buttocks.

I have other not full length UQs which go considerably closer to my knees or even ankles. Other folks differ, but FOR ME it doesn't much matter if I need a sit pad that will fit right up to my buttockal area or one that only goes to my knees. One is about as comfy as another, and the weight of a slightly longer sit pad is a trade off for a slightly longer UQ.

Final thing: I have a tendency to use knee pillows that are at least several inches thick. These, though used for other reasons, also provide insulation between butt and knees. Which reduces or negates the need for a pad in that area. So, for me, if I am going to use a partial length UQ for whatever reason(usually to reduce bulk and weight and plus I think they are less prone to problems, just my personal opinion, but full length can be more convenient than a pad), as long as it goes from neck to just below butt, that is all I need. And my son has used nothing other than my Yeti, and always been warm, so I guess he feels the same. YMMV.

Step son grabbing a warm nap at 11,000 ft with my synthetic Yeti:

Sorry, has nothing to do with the OP, but I can't resist throwing in some other pics from where he is grabbing that nap in a Claytor hammock insulated with a Yeti. I've got to get back out there!:

.................................................. ...........

.................................................. ..............

Last edited by BillyBob58; 07-18-2020 at 18:07.

What temps are you guys using partial UQ's to? Is it pure preference, or do you guys prefer a full length UQ for colder weather?

I can stay warm enough with a partial (supplemented with the ever popular foot pad), but it seems that a full length might make more sense for colder temps, IDK. Colder than what is also a legit question.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I think a lot has to do with the design of the full length UQ. I would think a Wookie, paired with a BlackBird would be great - same as the Lynx for the Ridge Runner. But most UQ’s are designed like a long rectangle and you don’t sleep like a long rectangle. Depending upon the angle of your diagonal lie, you could be pushing the end of that UQ out, causing a gap. That’s what inspired videos suggesting that the UQ end be kept cinched looser at the ends so they will more form more to the geometery of the hammock with someone in it (diagonally).

A ¾ length UQ hugs the important parts of your body - above the knee and to the shoulders/head. If those lower extremeties feel cold, It’s easy enough to put a small pad or some other insulation there.

I do have a full length 0 degree UQ, and one other 20 degree; but that’s because they were For Sale a great price on our forum. I mostly use them at home. If camping three season, I’ll take the ¾ length.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 07-20-2020 at 17:13.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast