New to Underquilt

I just bought a Underquilt from Little Hammock Shop. I am very new to the hammock world. I've only slept twice outdoors in it.

I previously have been using my Klimt insulated pad and it has been very comfortable, but through the night i do feel cold spots as i touch the sides off the pad. So i ordered an underquilt to address that issue. I received my quilt and set it up (in my basement) and wow, as soon as you get in you feel the warmth.

I was originally going to still use the pad and quilt because i do find it comfortable with the pad. Now i'm not sure. I will have to try sleeping in it without the pad and see if i find it as comfortable. I think warmth wise it will be good.

Rgds

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Bridge or GE hammock? Big difference.

I could (personally) see using an air mat in some bridges but not in a GE. Very early on in my hammock journey I tried various air mats at different inflation levels and found it an absolute no-go. Cumbersome, fidgety and uncomfortable. Again, that's for me.

The comfort of a GE with a good, properly adjusted UQ is the only way to go.

I have limited experience with a bridge—exactly 3 nights—but I used a 20deg rated Incubator UQ and it worked fine, although the overall experience confirmed that I prefer GE over bridges for a few reasons. However, I did a few extended day naps in the bridge with a Thermarest Zlite (closed cell foam) and that was a surprisingly good combo. The raised CG (center of gravity) with an air mat made it really, really tippy.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    My first summer - note, summer - I used a pad in an GE/UQP setup and it was fine. It was actually a HH super shelter but using my Therma-Rest Guide as the pad between the hammock and UQP (except it wasn’t really a UQP because there was no “Q”). As it got colder (Fall/Winter) I moved to UQ’s and never looked back.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

• + New Posts