Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Center pole vs 2 poles

I am looking to buy a Superfly. Can you help me understand the difference between the two pole options? it looks like one option is for there to be a single pole inside the tarp at the center point. The other option is for there to be two poles outside the tarp to the tie outs.

I assume this is an either/or option and you would not use both. But I can't really figure out the advantages or disadvantages of one over the other.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Yes
    Tarp
    Doors for sure
    Insulation
    Love some down
    Suspension
    Usualy helps
    I believe the outside panel pulls are standard on all of their tarps. The two poles open up closer to the ends (especially for a bridge) and are outside of the tarp. You can use poles, limbs, or any sort of tie off point to pull the tarp away from the hammock. The center pole opens up the tarp in the middle where a gathered end is the widest. I would go ahead and add the center pole pocket and tie-out just in case you ever wanted to use a pole down the road - it doesn't add much cost or weight and it would be a lot harder to add it down the road. I always take my exterior poles with my Superfly because I like how much it opens the tarp up and feel like it is worth the weight (a little of 4 oz).

My Superfly has the pull-outs and last year I sent it into 2qzq for a center pole mod (which wasn't offered back when I got my Superfly). I have some pictures showing the differences if that would help. This first set of pics is using the pull-outs. I started out by pulling them out with a trekking pole, but then bought poles to use (from Dutchware), which work really well. You can use the pull-outs even when you are in porch mode. A couple of these pics are with my Thunderfly, which has the pull-outs but no pole mod.

In my experience, the center pole really pulls up the bottom of the tarp (I guess you could cinch the tarp down more, but I don't like stressing the fabric too much), so while you get a nice view in a sort of semi-porch mode, you also get a little less privacy. You do get a ton of room, and if you had a center tie-down, which I don't, it would probably be easier to cinch it down so you got the extra space without sacrificing any privacy, if that's what you wanted. The external poles don't pull the edge of the tarp up, so you get a lot of interior space without losing any privacy, but it they also don't give you a view. So it's situational which one you might want to use.

I would second Dvankirk and suggest getting both so that you have options. The center pole mod might be better in a storm for example. I take down my external poles when it's very windy as I don't trust them to stay in place, plus I'd worry about them rubbing against my tarp if the tarp were moving back and forth in the wind. I'd be less concerned about the center pole mod in that respect, plus the convex shape it creates would be good for deflecting wind. There have also been times I've wished that I had a center tie-down, so I recommend that option as well.
    Last edited by bansheekitty; 06-24-2020 at 15:00.

The appeal with the center pole mod is that you can get a semi-porch mod without having to use trekking poles/tying off to trees. Although you don't get as nice of a porch mode as you would with end-pole mods (please, Warbonnet, make this an option!). I have used my center pole mod less than I've used the external poles + pull-outs (but I've also had it as an option for less time).

I had originally gotten the UGQ pole, which comes with shock cord for attaching to either end of the tarp and doesn't depend on using a ribbon at the top (which I don't have). It was a little long though, and was a bit annoying to set up, which contributed to my using it less. I recently bought the Warbonnet center pole, which is 3/4" shorter (although the listed specs are longer). After transferring the shock cord to that pole, it seems to work pretty well. I just used it on a trip last weekend and it was very nice to have the views. So I might use my center pole more often going forward.
    Last edited by bansheekitty; 06-24-2020 at 14:57.

Hammock
    Yes
    Tarp
    Doors for sure
    Insulation
    Love some down
    Suspension
    Usualy helps
    My preference is actually the interior pole mods, but they do end up being a slight bit heavier. My 12' SLD Winter Haven and my 13' Wind Haven both have all 3 interior pole mods. Most of the time I usually use the 2 ends poles, but if I think that wind or snow are going to be rough, I'll take all 3 poles. The Superfly with the 2 exterior poles is my normal backpacking tarp because it gives me the most room for the least amount of weight. I've had it through some pretty good wind storms and haven't ever had one of the exterior poles come loose.

Quote Originally Posted by Dvankirk View Post
    My preference is actually the interior pole mods, but they do end up being a slight bit heavier. My 12' SLD Winter Haven and my 13' Wind Haven both have all 3 interior pole mods. Most of the time I usually use the 2 ends poles, but if I think that wind or snow are going to be rough, I'll take all 3 poles.
    This is my dream set-up actually. I'd love to have the end pole mod especially, but I would probably get both center + end. I really hope Warbonnet adds the end-pole mod as an option. Also, I'm definitely going sil-poly next time!

Hammock
    Yes
    Tarp
    Doors for sure
    Insulation
    Love some down
    Suspension
    Usualy helps
    Quote Originally Posted by bansheekitty View Post
    This is my dream set-up actually. I'd love to have the end pole mod especially, but I would probably get both center + end. I really hope Warbonnet adds the end-pole mod as an option. Also, I'm definitely going sil-poly next time!
    I was thinking about ordering a 12' Superfly myself if they would add the pole sleeves on the ends. I sent them an email and I will let you know the response. I think that they have been really busy lately.

Jared @ SLD offers whatever you want, though, and would have it out to you in a couple of days.

Quote Originally Posted by Dvankirk View Post
    I was thinking about ordering a 12' Superfly myself if they would add the pole sleeves on the ends. I sent them an email and I will let you know the response. I think that they have been really busy lately.

Jared @ SLD offers whatever you want, though, and would have it out to you in a couple of days.
    Thing is that I already have a Superfly, so it's hard for me to justify buying another tarp with the same "body" (if you get what I mean) - so basically any standard winter tarp. If Jared offered something like the Mountainfly with these features, I would definitely go for it.

Hammock
    Chameleon/TE Happy Medium/SG
    Tarp
    Thunderfly/UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG / LL
    Suspension
    Becket
    Images
    I had a chat once with Donna of 2QZQ about adding pole pockets to the ends of my Superfly and at the time, she was willing to do that modification. I went in a different direction, but it might be an option for you to get the 3-pole flexibility you are looking for in a Superfly.

Quote Originally Posted by Canadark View Post
    I had a chat once with Donna of 2QZQ about adding pole pockets to the ends of my Superfly and at the time, she was willing to do that modification. I went in a different direction, but it might be an option for you to get the 3-pole flexibility you are looking for in a Superfly.
    I also had a chat with her about it, back when I got my center pole mod (because the end pole mod was what I actually wanted), but they hadn't done that before, and told me I needed to figure out placement and everything, and I just wasn't willing to gamble on my ability to figure out how the end pole mods should work and where they should be positioned. Her idea also was that the opposite end poles cross over each other in the center, which I didn't think was right. I got the center pole mod instead because that was something they were comfortable with.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast