Hello from Wyoming

Hi all. I'm fairly new to hammock camping. Got one of those cheap, 11' netless Go Outfitters hammocks on Amazon and liked it well enough to buy an underquilt and give it a try for a few nights outdoors. And while a "flat" lay seems to be a bit of a misnomer to me, I fell asleep and woke up and it was morning so I must have slept fairly well even tho the position was quite different than anything else I was used to. Wanting to upgrade and get a "flatter" lay I bought a WB RidgeRunner. First night was not as awesome as I was anticipating. Not sure which direction I will go with hammocking or if I will just stick to tents... Thinking about trying a 12' SLD Trail Lair or a Townsend bridge...

Anyways, I'd be open to any suggestions and curious to know if there is anyone else in the south east corner of Wyoming who hammocks.

Thanks for reading.

New Member ConquistadorOfTheUseless's Avatar
    Try that bridge some more and see if you can get it dialed in. I wish I was in Wyoming. I plan on moving out there if I can get a transfer or after I retire in 3 or so years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    Hi Wyoming
    I live in Norther Colo, not to far. I'll send you a PM to meet up for a night of camping, perhaps Vedauwoo in july.

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Howdy from MT.

I spent a decade working in NW WY at Lander and Moran. Love the state, the people, and thought about retiring there, but our home, my family, and my wife's work, was in Bozeman. My avatar is crossing the Deer Creek divide between the Washakie and Teton Wildernesses.

My first hammock was a WBRR and I liked it a lot, until I experienced the Hammocktent 90 and a DH Raven, and passed the WBRR for someone else to enjoy. Don't be afraid to experiment with tweaking you hammock and the suspension set up. There is a huge amount of advice and trial and error on HF.

All of my hammocks have been more or less modified to find the sweet spot for me. For my GEs (DH Sparrow, WBBB XLC, and a SLD Trail Lair on the way) I replace the ridge line with an adjustable whoopie ridge line. I have ended up lengthening the ridge line in the DH and WB and the whoopie ridge line allows me to shorten up the ridge line when I need to use the bugnet or top cover on the Sparrow. You can also experiment with RL length by taking wraps around a carabiner or adding an amsteel loop to the end of the RL and then taking carabiner wraps (this is how I started experimenting with RL lengths).

I spend the majority of nights, or most of the night, in a hammock. Plus it is my 'couch' for watching internet videos (just say no to TV). Moral of the story is don't be afraid to experiment and try different hammocks and see if you find one that suits you. My rule of thumb is to purchase a used hammock from a reputable vendor knowing it may cost a good deal more than an ebay or Amazon special, but I have also been able to resell the ones that didn't pass muster with no loss, little loss, and even occasionally a little gain. Perhaps in the end a hammock may not be the cat's meow for you and you default to a tent, but hey, it is sure worth a go.

[QUOTE=ConquistadorOfTheUseless;2022559]Try that bridge some more and see if you can get it dialed in. I wish I was in Wyoming. I plan on moving out there if I can get a transfer or after I retire in 3 or so years

It's a great place to live if you like the outdoors!

[QUOTE=ibgary;2022899]Hi Wyoming
    I live in Norther Colo, not to far. I'll send you a PM to meet up for a night of camping, perhaps Vedauwoo in july.

That would be awesome. I'm headed up to the Vedauwoo area tonight for a quick overnighter / gear test trip.

Quote Originally Posted by OlTrailDog View Post
    Howdy from MT.

I spent a decade working in NW WY at Lander and Moran. Love the state, the people, and thought about retiring there, but our home, my family, and my wife's work, was in Bozeman. My avatar is crossing the Deer Creek divide between the Washakie and Teton Wildernesses.

My first hammock was a WBRR and I liked it a lot, until I experienced the Hammocktent 90 and a DH Raven, and passed the WBRR for someone else to enjoy. Don't be afraid to experiment with tweaking you hammock and the suspension set up. There is a huge amount of advice and trial and error on HF.

All of my hammocks have been more or less modified to find the sweet spot for me. For my GEs (DH Sparrow, WBBB XLC, and a SLD Trail Lair on the way) I replace the ridge line with an adjustable whoopie ridge line. I have ended up lengthening the ridge line in the DH and WB and the whoopie ridge line allows me to shorten up the ridge line when I need to use the bugnet or top cover on the Sparrow. You can also experiment with RL length by taking wraps around a carabiner or adding an amsteel loop to the end of the RL and then taking carabiner wraps (this is how I started experimenting with RL lengths).

I spend the majority of nights, or most of the night, in a hammock. Plus it is my 'couch' for watching internet videos (just say no to TV). Moral of the story is don't be afraid to experiment and try different hammocks and see if you find one that suits you. My rule of thumb is to purchase a used hammock from a reputable vendor knowing it may cost a good deal more than an ebay or Amazon special, but I have also been able to resell the ones that didn't pass muster with no loss, little loss, and even occasionally a little gain. Perhaps in the end a hammock may not be the cat's meow for you and you default to a tent, but hey, it is sure worth a go.

I've not been the Washakie wilderness yet, but I've spent a few nights in the Bridger Teton Wilderness east of Pinedale. Beautiful state and I'm glad I get to live here. Although I told the wife we need to take a sight seeing trip up into the western Montana / northern Idaho area soon.

I have never heard of the hammocktent. I'll have to check into that. Looks interesting.

I ended up sending the WBRR back. I set it up in the yard again and tried some different things I found on this site and just couldn't find anything that felt right. I feel like it's designed for someone who likes to sleep like the dead - literally flat on their back with arms on their chest - and I just cannot sleep that way...

I did order a 12' "starter" hammock from Simply Light Designs and got an email from Jared at 2am saying it was done and would be shipping out later that day. I wasn't sure whether or not to believe what people were saying about him on here, but I will verify it's true. Can't wait to get it and try it out. I wanted to buy an inexpensive 12' hammock to see if I liked it before tricking out a Trail Lair or other hammock. I'm a bit of a gear junkie and getting into hammocking plays right into that, much to the wife's chagrin...

I got an adjustable ridgeline from myerstechhammocklab on eBay so I have that to experiment with on my netless 11' and 12' hammocks. I also successfully completed my first fixed loop with Zing it last night so who knows what is possible once I get my hands on some more amsteel and start making other things! haha

• + New Posts