Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Underquilt protector-well worth it

So I recently picked up a 2QZQ under quilt protector and I feel this is almost a necessary gear item. This will help anyone who's ever experienced cold spots or drafts. I see all sorts of suggestions, (snug it up, loosen it, more towards the feet, towards the shoulders, move the down, etc). All my problems were fixed with an uqp.
    We ask for our under quilts to be light weight and they are but they don't do a good job of blocking the wind. (I use a hammock gear 20 degree under quilt for reference).
    On a recent trip, temps were around 50 in the morning and I was hot to warm. I dropped of the uqp and instantly felt a little chilly.
    I know it stinks to spend an extra $50 on an already expensive set-up but it my opinion they are well worth it.
    Anyways, it really helped me a lot and for anyone else experiencing cold spots I suggest you try it.

Hammock
    HG 10’ w/net
    Tarp
    Anything with door
    Insulation
    HQ 20*/40* UQ-TQ
    Suspension
    Tree straps to con
    I totally agree and ever since I bought mine a couple
    years ago it has been on every trip. It adds a couple degrees of warmth in the winter, keeps under quilt or just hammock dry in wet conditions.

A must for those that venture out in all kinds of weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB & FreeBird
    Tarp
    HG CF
    Insulation
    Incubator & FJ
    I have one but only use it during colder weather or when there are plans for high wind and rain. I am happy I have it but only use it sometimes.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    AHE Ridge Creek XL
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    I consider it a must-have with my WBRR when camping in the Adirondacks. I bring it all 3 seasons. It is hooked up with the UQ in my catch-all.

I seldom use mine, but almost always have it with me. When it is needed, it is worth its weight.
    If you prepare for failure you will probably succeed.

Australia...Sub-Tropical Qld, Temperate Tasmania & Tropical Thailand
    Hammock
    Madtree Tarseer
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    Warm & fluffy
    Suspension
    Slings and Rings
    Images
    It's lightweight, when you need it...you need it ! Always carry mine.
    Mountain views are good for the soul....& getting to them is good for my waistline.

https://ofuros.exposure.co/

Images
    Big fan here. I can't say for sure, but I might be one of the very first folks here to use an UQP, or a kind of/sort of UQP. It was wind proof, water proof sil-nylon just like my small, asym tarp. I always kind of thought that that tarp was so small and asym/diamond shaped, the the UQP actually functioned as a tarp for the bottom half.

Of course, technically it was not an uQp, because there was no quilt. It was the under cover of the HH Super Shelter, which though it did not protect an UQ, it still protected the sponge like insulation I had down below me, which at that time consisted of the open cell foam HHSS pad. I did not know enough back then to add any unworn clothing under or over the pad for an even toastier experience, so that early Sept week in the northern Rockies camping at a minimum of 10,600 ft (low temp 22F) was accomplished with nothing but the HH pad. And of course the 3 oz space blanket on top of the pad. Many people are concerned about possible condensation in that sil-nylon UC which is exposed to the cold and wind, but I never had any using the 2nd VB of the space blanket which was kept warm by the insulation and my body heat, and kept my body vapor from contacting the cold sil-nylon UC and condensing on it.

(alert: this is the 110th telling of this tale )But on the last night of that trip, using the only 2 trees available to me if I was going to camp near my tenting buddies, I was totally exposed to high wind all night long, coming right in the foot end of that tarp. It was actually bouncing me around most of the night. My buds were laughing because they knew I was going to freeze and end up on the ground near their tent, just as I did first night a week earlier, having to abandon the hammock due to major user error. I simplydid not know what I was doing. But I learned a lot during that week.

But, I never felt the wind and slept like baby. Truly one of the best sleeps I have ever had anywhere. Since then I have often used down Pea Pods and under quilts. And they have done a fine job. However, I have also used them in wind with small or wide pitched tarps enough to know that if I had a 20F UQ perfectly pitched that night, even though it might not have been under 40F, I would have froze my butt off. And my back. Unless I had also had a good UQP to go with that UQ. Or of course a much larger tarp with doors. But I still think the UQP blocks wind(and wind blown rain and splashup) from all directions better than even a large tarp. And I don't have to worry so much about a perfect storm pitch, rubbing on the condensation covered low pitched tarp as I get in and out, and shifting wind. Now, unless I am using my HHSS which automatically includes an under cover, I actually rarely use an UQP. But if I am really concerned with wind, or I want to use a smaller tarp or use a higher tarp pitch(which I love to do), I know an UQP can be very valuable to me.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 07-01-2020 at 17:47.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon
    Tarp
    Tarpless
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie's
    Images
    I looked at the 2QzQ and it looks like nothing special (construction wise i mean). Like billybob says, can you just use an old tarp or windblocker fabric and sew in some attachment points for an easy DIY piece of gear?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I don't find them useful. Give me a 4-season tarp with doors and I'm all set. On the other hand, if you're using a skimpy tarp, maybe that extra 5 or 6 ounces makes sense (but I don't see how).
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I don't find them useful. Give me a 4-season tarp with doors and I'm all set. On the other hand, if you're using a skimpy tarp, maybe that extra 5 or 6 ounces makes sense (but I don't see how).
    Only if those doors actually close!

Sorry... I'm totally kidding with you.. I couldn't resist...
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast