Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolloff View Post
    Glad you made your choice. My comment would have of course just been, "Shug uses one".
    In fact, not always. When I check wether conditions and it is going to be very windy and using my DIY Blackcrow tarp (11'x6.5) then I will pack it.
    No wind...it stays home. I like a tarp I get a great view of the woods from.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    In fact, not always. When I check wether conditions and it is going to be very windy and using my DIY Blackcrow tarp (11'x6.5) then I will pack it.
    My current favourite tarp unless I know the weather is going to be very wet is my Minifly. This is one reason why I thought the underquilt protector would be good, especially when the wind picks up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images
    Here is a tarp pitch, in rainy, windy, misty weather, where my sil nylon undercover really helped:

.................................................. ....
    Here is another. This was about my 3rd night ever in a hammock. I was still suffering from altitude sickness, which means low oxygen to the brain, which was not helping me to figure this hammock stuff out. But, even with such poor tarp on hammock skills, I stayed warm and the wind was never an issue.I soon got much better with the tarp, but you can see how this hammock was never going to be well protected from the wind with this small, light tarp. But with that undercover, no problems.

.................................................. ...

A couple of views from the above spot where I had the sagging tarp. You can see where wind might become an issue:

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    That's still good enough for me
    Signature suspended

Quote Originally Posted by Ghillieshot View Post
    I am not by any means new to Hammock camping. I have been doing it for about 12 years now. But only recently have been camping sub 30 and grabbed myself a HGUQ econ... It is rated well within the needed temperatures. Overall, the UQ works well, but I always wake up with cold spots mid morning... I have done everything from snugging it right up, to even using shotchord up over the ridgeline pulling it up tight... But there's always a cold draught. I can't seem to fix it. I do have a 3/4 but I am fully aware how to use it too. I have been contemplating using a UQ protector, but I have to make one. So you think this will fix up my issues? It sounds like it and I hope so... Thanks man.

Ghillie
    Your issues seem identical to mine. I moved my underquilt every which way it seemed but nothing seemed to work. A UQP has been very helpful to me for stopping the drafts. I just saw that hammockgear has one now for sale as well.

Managed to order my UQP from Warbonnet in Bushwack, can’t wait for it to arrive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon or DIY Robic XL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & CDT TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I ordered mine from 2QZQ in Dutch's Privacy X - Boreal. It arrived today and Donna did a great job. Can't wait to get it on the trail.

Between the trees and above the ground.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Underquilt Protector update.......
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DH Darien / WBBB
    Tarp
    HEX Asym / Minifly
    Insulation
    HG Econ 40
    Suspension
    Beetle/ Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeFan View Post
    Between the trees and above the ground.
    I like that!

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 12’
    Insulation
    JRB MW4 HSS 0*
    Suspension
    Web/DutchHks/Biner
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Big fan here. I can't say for sure, but I might be one of the very first folks here to use an UQP, or a kind of/sort of UQP. It was wind proof, water proof sil-nylon just like my small, asym tarp. I always kind of thought that that tarp was so small and asym/diamond shaped, the the UQP actually functioned as a tarp for the bottom half.

Of course, technically it was not an uQp, because there was no quilt. It was the under cover of the HH Super Shelter, which though it did not protect an UQ, it still protected the sponge like insulation I had down below me, which at that time consisted of the open cell foam HHSS pad. I did not know enough back then to add any unworn clothing under or over the pad for an even toastier experience, so that early Sept week in the northern Rockies camping at a minimum of 10,600 ft (low temp 22F) was accomplished with nothing but the HH pad. And of course the 3 oz space blanket on top of the pad. Many people are concerned about possible condensation in that sil-nylon UC which is exposed to the cold and wind, but I never had any using the 2nd VB of the space blanket which was kept warm by the insulation and my body heat, and kept my body vapor from contacting the cold sil-nylon UC and condensing on it.

(alert: this is the 110th telling of this tale )But on the last night of that trip, using the only 2 trees available to me if I was going to camp near my tenting buddies, I was totally exposed to high wind all night long, coming right in the foot end of that tarp. It was actually bouncing me around most of the night. My buds were laughing because they knew I was going to freeze and end up on the ground near their tent, just as I did first night a week earlier, having to abandon the hammock due to major user error. I simplydid not know what I was doing. But I learned a lot during that week.

But, I never felt the wind and slept like baby. Truly one of the best sleeps I have ever had anywhere. Since then I have often used down Pea Pods and under quilts. And they have done a fine job. However, I have also used them in wind with small or wide pitched tarps enough to know that if I had a 20F UQ perfectly pitched that night, even though it might not have been under 40F, I would have froze my butt off. And my back. Unless I had also had a good UQP to go with that UQ. Or of course a much larger tarp with doors. But I still think the UQP blocks wind(and wind blown rain and splashup) from all directions better than even a large tarp. And I don't have to worry so much about a perfect storm pitch, rubbing on the condensation covered low pitched tarp as I get in and out, and shifting wind. Now, unless I am using my HHSS which automatically includes an under cover, I actually rarely use an UQP. But if I am really concerned with wind, or I want to use a smaller tarp or use a higher tarp pitch(which I love to do), I know an UQP can be very valuable to me.
    The 110th telling of that tale at least reached 1 hammock newbie. 🙂 Thanks for the info, Billy Bob! Just on whimsy, I ordered a UQP from HG this past Sunday. Haven’t received it yet. Sort of reminded me of the old ripstop VBL’s from the ‘80’s, in reverse. They always claimed the VBL’s added 10*. Did you ever rig the UQP with a pod? Any problems rigging it without compressing the down too much?

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123