Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mcimes View Post
    I looked at the 2QzQ and it looks like nothing special (construction wise i mean). Like billybob says, can you just use an old tarp or windblocker fabric and sew in some attachment points for an easy DIY piece of gear?
    You certainly can, but if using a tarp, it is a vapor barrier(VB), so you need to make sure you understand VB theory, or you will end up with a wet UQ from condensation. Although, if it hangs pretty loose under the quilt, you will probably get away with it. When I use a sil-nylon under cover with the HHSS, I always use another VB- a light space blanket - between myself and any insulation and that sil-nylon UC. this VB- being close to me and insulated from the outside cold, is kept fairly warm. Unlike the outside, un-insulated VB, which is very cold. And as we all know, condensation occurs on cold surfaces, not on warm.

I have a sil-ylon Poncho/UQP designed by WB for the WB RR bridge hammock. It connects to the spreader bars and seems to maintain an adequate distance between the UQP and the AHE Ridge Creek synthetic UQ, so that condensation is kept off of the UQ. But if the UQ was much thicker, I might need a space blanket inside of the UQ to avoid condensation.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 07-07-2020 at 09:51.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner/W.Logics Snipe
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    LocoLibre UQ,WLTQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Bks, whoopie
    Images
    UQP- I don't go hanging without it.

I use a WBRR and mainly because a bridge hammock is flatter means there are more surface area exposed on the bottom. Also even though my tarp is 13' long it's harder to pitch the tarp low enough without touching the sides to block all the wind, rain splatter etc. So for those reasons, price of down UQ, the wind robbing my heat and so on I now use a UQP any and all times (unless I just forget to pack it) lol.

For those holding off because of price: I started with a DIY (UQP) made from a military poncho liner folded, tied and with attached shock cord. It's water proof, wind proof and you can find them cheap at military surplus stores or like places. They really hold the heat in but allows it to breath without compressing the UQ. I've since moved on to a Sil-poly UQ protector made by Outdoorsman Outfitters and have another one ordered out of the Hex-Cam printed fabric. I kept my DIY poncho UQP just in case I or someone else needs it for bad weather.
    Thanks for the post
    MooseMan
    North Carolina
    "It is easier to prevent bad habits than to break them" <Ben Franklin>

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I started out with a waterproof UQP but after seeing the condensation, I switched to breathable. It’s the Tarp’s job to keep things dry. The UQP will protect against errant splashes but the main reason I use it is for a little extra warmth and insurance against wind shifts.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Australia...Sub-Tropical Qld, Temperate Tasmania & Tropical Thailand
    Hammock
    Madtree Tarseer
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    Warm &amp; fluffy
    Suspension
    Slings and Rings
    Images
    Mine's silnylon, windproof, waterproof...I just hang it loose to get away with no condensation.
    Mountain views are good for the soul....& getting to them is good for my waistline.

https://ofuros.exposure.co/

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    If It still works loose enough not to cause condensation then you have a good piece of multi-purpose gear. Sometimes you don’t need it to function as an UQP, but you have a “tarp” to cover other gear from the rain.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Has anyone UQP that dreamhammocks sales? How do you like it? How is different from 2QzQ?

The 2QzQ does it job for me but seems to be just a big piece of ripstop withe edges sewn.

TIA

Hammock
    DIY HH, DIY BB, DIY Stretchy side
    Tarp
    Any, keep you dry
    Insulation
    DIY IX + down UQs.
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by ajoutdoors View Post
    So I recently picked up a 2QZQ under quilt protector and I feel this is almost a necessary gear item. This will help anyone who's ever experienced cold spots or drafts. I see all sorts of suggestions, (snug it up, loosen it, more towards the feet, towards the shoulders, move the down, etc). All my problems were fixed with an uqp.
    We ask for our under quilts to be light weight and they are but they don't do a good job of blocking the wind. (I use a hammock gear 20 degree under quilt for reference).
    On a recent trip, temps were around 50 in the morning and I was hot to warm. I dropped of the uqp and instantly felt a little chilly.
    I know it stinks to spend an extra $50 on an already expensive set-up but it my opinion they are well worth it.
    Anyways, it really helped me a lot and for anyone else experiencing cold spots I suggest you try it.

I am not by any means new to Hammock camping. I have been doing it for about 12 years now. But only recently have been camping sub 30 and grabbed myself a HGUQ econ... It is rated well within the needed temperatures. Overall, the UQ works well, but I always wake up with cold spots mid morning... I have done everything from snugging it right up, to even using shotchord up over the ridgeline pulling it up tight... But there's always a cold draught. I can't seem to fix it. I do have a 3/4 but I am fully aware how to use it too. I have been contemplating using a UQ protector, but I have to make one. So you think this will fix up my issues? It sounds like it and I hope so... Thanks man.

Ghillie

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Vertex
    Insulation
    UGQ Top Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Works great for me in the blowing rain and really cuts down on the draft around the underquilt.

Underquilt protector-well worth it

I have ordered an underquilt protector after seeing this thread makes sense for the minimal additional weight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Quote Originally Posted by MongooseDownUnder View Post
    I have ordered an underquilt protector after seeing this thread makes sense for the minimal additional weight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Glad you made your choice. My comment would have of course just been, "Shug uses one".
    Signature suspended

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast