Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Delirious and solidly confused. Need to make the dollars count.. Help?

Hi everyone. I know you are exhausted with similar questions but... I'm counting on the kindness of strangers. My family purchased a hammock as a gift for me last Christmas. Way too short for a comfortable nights sleep, but I'm never one to throw the baby out with the bath water. I am planning a motorcycle ride from So. Cal. to Kenai Alaska around the first of August to see my kids. I am 60 years old. I am 6'1" tall and weight 200 Lbs. and have the regular aches and pains of someone whose abused their body over the years. I have to get this purchase of my own first hammock right the first time. After hours upon hours of watching videos and reading I'm not disseminating all the information into a good purchase decision. I plan on sleeping out a couple of nights before taking the trip. Weight of the hammock and gear is not so much a question. If I'm correct I think that a side entry 11' would probably give me the best comfort. I will need a good mosquito net. Easy to set up arrangement (I'm a knuckle head). A rain tarp (I could use a blue tarp if absolutely necessary) and tree/adjustment cords/straps etc. I'm exhausted looking for a quality set-up on a budget. My budget is for $200 but maxes at $225.00. I know everyone's needs are different but I need to make a simple good pick- (not a perfect pick) but something I should be happy with. If this were your budget and needs, what would you suggest? Oh, and I'm planning on bringing a double bed comforter, made of down for beneath and a sleeping bag I can unzip all the way around is that a dumb idea?) Any help gladly received. Blessings. (As Moses said "I am but dust") Butdusty.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    That is a tough one.
    Seems to me you kinda know what you want as far as features so now you just need to choose a good vendor. We have great ones on here that get solid reviews.
    An 11' hammock and learn to hang it right. That is important for max comfort. A built in bugnet is easy. Many hammocks have them. Or this option....https://dutchwaregear.com/product/bottom-entry-bugnet/
    Also use a sleeping bag in quilt mode. Easier in a hammock.
    Throw a camping pad in the hammock....you WILL need it for warmth.
    Use a good 11' tarp and center it over your hammock. Don't have an end poking out from underneath the tarp.

Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Sidewinder
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Shug’s videos are excellent! He covers pretty much any hammock questions you could have.
    I just recommended the Dutchware halfwit on another thread for someone looking to save weight. In your case it could save $$$’s. It’s fairly inexpensive & has an attached bug net but doesn’t cover the entire hammock. Plus Dutch makes some comfy hammocks.

https://dutchwaregear.com/product/ha...bric-and-color

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Butdusty View Post
    My budget is for $200 but maxes at $225.00. I know everyone's needs are different but I need to make a simple good pick- (not a perfect pick) but something I should be happy with. If this were your budget and needs, what would you suggest?
    Leaving the tarp out of the equation for now, here are a few more options:

Hammockgear has zippered bugnet hammocks and a choice of suspension options for around $150 or so, depending on which suspension you choose.

Dream Hammock has several Dariens on their ready to ship page ranging from $120 to $130. Suspension would be extra.

Arrowhead Equipment has both single and double layer hammocks ranging from $50 to $70 but these would be netless. You could add a Hug style removable bugnet for another $40 and then buy suspension.

This is far from a complete list of vendors. I'm just including a few with whom I have personal experience.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    To meet your requirements, take a look at the Ridge Outdoor Hammock. For $50.00 you get a complete package of suspension, bugnet and hammock. The reviews of the Hammock on the HammockForums (Facebook) has been very positive. www.ridgeoutdoorgear.com

For a tarp, you can still get a basic 12' hex tarp on Amazon for around $40.00. Hope you have fun on your trip.

I will check these out. Many thanks.

Checking it out now. Thanks.

Bummer. Their lay-flat 11' is unavailable. And boy the price seemed great as well. Will keep checking. Thanks

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    SLD Hex
    Insulation
    SLD Trail Winder
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    That's a drag, I was going to get one. I've also heard good things about the $40 Chill Gorilla hex tarp on amazon. You can wing a TQ to some extent. If you have a sleeping bag you're good in that dept, but an underquilt is going to be essential. Not sure what the total price would be, but the Gemini diy underquilt mentioned on this forum seems legit. Current price for the two down throws used to make it looks like $50, plus you'll need some grosgrain, shock cord and a snap gun.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast