Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks for the time for making this suggestion. I emailed the company to ask when they'd be back in stock. I will check these suggestions out and if you come across a decent 11' hammock or package at a good price, please let me know. So many agree that the under-quilt is a must, so will look at making one. Thanks again.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Delirious and solidly confused. Need to make the dollars count.. Help?

you could check out the hammock gear package.

https://hammockgear.com/the-wanderlust-complete-kit-for-hammock-camping/

it's $230 if you choose the option without insulation.

Checking it out now. Thank you!

Ah ha! Did find one Ridge outdoor hammock. Only one left in stock and bought their rain fly too. Will have enough leftover for an under-quilt. I'm looking at this one https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Y3VVYTR?th=1 Anyone have thoughts about this set-up. Thanks again to everyone- you guys are top-notch.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    I would suggest keeping an eye on the FS forum, craigslist, and ebay. I just picked up a top of the line, fully loaded SLD Trail Lair for the price you mention. You have time to be judicious and prudent about getting the right hammock. If one doesn't come along you are none the worse off.

The weather will be getting cooler as you head north and progress farther north. I often use a inflatable insulated pad (Exped for me), but I think you would be happier with a UQ because you are heading north into autumn. Same advice for the UQ, peruse the used avenues for a good 20* model to come along. Folks around here are hot to buy, try, and pass it along cuz the color isn't just right. Same is true for you, if you purchase a good reputable hammock model, and doesn't make your butt smile, you can pass it along and keep looking for that holy grail.

I still use a sleeping bag quilt style as I have top quality sleeping bags that I acquired used a good while ago and don't plan on drinking the quilt koolaid. If necessary you may want to pad the zipper if you are worried about it inadvertently causing hammock damage.

Since you are passing through the rainiest country the US has to offer you might consider a UQ Protector. I don't have one and don't plan on purchasing one, but I live in the arid American West. For the same reason, you probably want to be real prudent picking out a bomber tarp for when it DOES dump on you and you feel the urge to sit it out for a day...or two...or.

Most of all, I hope you have the trip of your life!!! Enjoy

Thank you so much for your thoughtful reply. Being a newbie, could you explain what you mean by "pad the zipper"? Sounds like a 'sound suggestion'. I drove it it my car 5 years ago with a loaded trailer but it was to move my kids up there. It was a rush rush move on a very tight budget and camped on the side of the road every-nite of the trip and cooked every meal except for one I think. I'm hoping to take my time this time, just in case (as you hinted) the weather goes sour. Be well.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Quote Originally Posted by Butdusty View Post
    mean by "pad the zipper"?
    Just cover with a fold of tape or rubber tubing if you are concerned with the zipper metal gouging the hammock material.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    SLD Hex
    Insulation
    SLD Trail Winder
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Probably less useful to you now but I found a great deal on amazon for an 11ft hammock with bottom entry net, cinch buckle suspension and an adjustable amsteel ridgeline. Comes with a double ended stuffsack and it looks like they use 2.1oz hex-patterned ripstop so pretty solid there. About $80. I'll link it because the same company makes tarps and underquilts for cheap too. They also sell a version in 1.1oz fabric but that one doesn't seem to come with a net.

https://www.amazon.com/onewind-Mosqu...8-4&th=1&psc=1

Also this is what I've found to be the closest match on amazon to Leiavoia's Gemini Costco Underquilt (I don't have access to Costco)

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Ridge-Ho...8-3&th=1&psc=1

It's $60 for the two down throws, so it'll cost more than the guide indicates but hopefully you should be able to make the Gemini for about $85 or less. Not sure what the comfort rating on the Gemini quilt is, but the cheap underquilts I've been finding are only good for 40-50 and you probably want a 20.

Thank you. Will check out the costco deal as well!

Butdusty,

Have fun on your trip. Like OTD said I think you will want to have either a CCF Pad, and/or an inflatable pad with a good R rating and/or an underquilt, probably a synthetic one, as I think you have a great chance of running into a fair amount of wet weather.

I also think you will be thankful for having made or purchased, an Underquilt Protector. They cut the wind and I think, add just a few degrees of warmth. They also protect the hammock/underquilt from abrasions (think pesky branches). They also protect against mud/rain splatter.

I go against the grain here but I have used a 12 X 14, blue, walmart tarp now for at least 3 years. They are much more durable than a regular tarp. They have multi uses, sit pad when folded up, work station when folded up to lay on, shade cover, motorcycle cover, etc. They usually can be fixed and/or modded using duct tape. My duct tape mod included making side pullouts for more interior space. If they die, they can be bought again for about 14.00 dollars.

Be safe.

Bob
    Last edited by Draketake; 06-23-2020 at 18:57.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast