Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

If you’re going for durability over weight...

Preface: I’m still very new to hanging, but I’ve been reading a TON over the last few weeks.

It seems like a lot of people with popular youtube channels or that post a lot to HF or reddit are super concerned with weight/ultralight.

I don’t ever see myself on a trip that’s over 5 days, so I don’t think that saving ounces is a huge concern.

What I really want to concern myself with right now is durability, versatility, and comfort of my gear. I’m also really interested in myog projects.

So does anyone have recommendations for super durable and comfortable materials and gear to check out?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Are you talking fabrics.
    Check out Ripstopbytheroll then.....https://ripstopbytheroll.com
    I'll include my video of hammock fabric fabric.
    It is a bit complicated but I tried to make it fairly comprehensible.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    1.6 hyperD 2.2 hex 1.7 mountain
    Tarp
    9x9 1.1 oz silnylo
    Insulation
    sleeping pad
    Suspension
    whoopy slings
    Images
    Here is some of what my scales tell me. If you are trying to save weight, the heaviest part is the suspension. I went with 1 inch dyneema tree straps and whoopees. they are also very durable.

Some have complained that the 1.0 (or lighter) fabric is not very durable. I have a piece of it, but decided not to use it because I like a stiff mattress. the lighter material acts like a softer mattress. 1.6 seems to be a common mid weight and very durable. It is the place I have chosen to start. I am making my own so experimenting with different things is not that expensive.

Hey shug. Thanks for the info. Your videos have helped me get as knowledgeable as I can get without hanging a lot. Looking forward to this one!

I’ve got two amsteel setups: one whoopie and one UCR. I understand the dyneema straps are super light weight. Would there be a similar material available at a hardware store? I was at Lowe’s today (for flower boxes) and wanted to see if they had any kind of webbing. Couldn’t find anything

Quote Originally Posted by rodwaynick View Post
    What I really want to concern myself with right now is durability, versatility, and comfort of my gear. I’m also really interested in myog projects.

So does anyone have recommendations for super durable and comfortable materials and gear to check out?
    I just made my son a hammock and suspension and had similar concerns. He's not a backpacker and weight of gear was not much of an issue. I chose to use 1.9 ripstop nylon for the hammock body and good old polyester straps for the suspension, with amsteel loops to gather the ends and a ridgeline made of zingit. Ripstop by the Roll had everything I needed (I already had the amsteel and the zingit). He's about 6 feet and weighs about 210 and says the 1.9 fabric feels great. Judging from photos, it doesn't stretch excessively and so I agree that it should suit him fine. Some photos of the rig and the making thereof are posted on my Instagram page if you're interested, though you'll have to scroll back a few weeks. It's the green hammock if you're looking for it amongst all the photos.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Suspension
    DIY Cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by rodwaynick View Post
    I’ve got two amsteel setups: one whoopie and one UCR. I understand the dyneema straps are super light weight. Would there be a similar material available at a hardware store? I was at Lowe’s today (for flower boxes) and wanted to see if they had any kind of webbing. Couldn’t find anything
    Anything you're likely to find at your local store will probably be made of nylon. Nylon is certainly strong enough, but it is naturally very stretchy and will not hold you up *properly* over the course of the night. If you're on a budget or not concerned with pack weight, then polyester webbing is what you want. If weight is a concern and you don't mind spending more for it, opt for dyneema straps.

Having said that, you'll find plenty of people here who started out with repurposed hardware store nylon ratchet straps and were very happy with them. Good luck and HYOH!

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Yep for total ease and not too expensive get some polyester straps and Beetle buckles.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Quote Originally Posted by dscotthep View Post
    Anything you're likely to find at your local store will probably be made of nylon. Nylon is certainly strong enough, but it is naturally very stretchy and will not hold you up *properly* over the course of the night. If you're on a budget or not concerned with pack weight, then polyester webbing is what you want. If weight is a concern and you don't mind spending more for it, opt for dyneema straps.

Having said that, you'll find plenty of people here who started out with repurposed hardware store nylon ratchet straps and were very happy with them. Good luck and HYOH!
    What would you say is the toughest and lowest stretch webbing out there without regard to weight?

Regarding Dyneema straps, I've heard people say that they can bunch up on themselves and not lay flat on the tree. Have you seen that be an issue?

Quote Originally Posted by sidneyhornblower View Post
    I just made my son a hammock and suspension and had similar concerns. He's not a backpacker and weight of gear was not much of an issue. I chose to use 1.9 ripstop nylon for the hammock body and good old polyester straps for the suspension, with amsteel loops to gather the ends and a ridgeline made of zingit. Ripstop by the Roll had everything I needed (I already had the amsteel and the zingit). He's about 6 feet and weighs about 210 and says the 1.9 fabric feels great. Judging from photos, it doesn't stretch excessively and so I agree that it should suit him fine. Some photos of the rig and the making thereof are posted on my Instagram page if you're interested, though you'll have to scroll back a few weeks. It's the green hammock if you're looking for it amongst all the photos.
    I checked out both of your builds. They look awesome!

Congrats on fighting cancer, man.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast