Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Amok Draumr UL
    Tarp
    Skjold 10 UL
    Insulation
    Fjøl UL

Stomach sleepers of the Amok Draumr (XL), what is your preferred top insulation and why?

I just want to preface this by saying that I haven't gotten to use my Draumr XL a whole lot (yet!), and that my overall hammock experience is pretty low.

With that said, I guess you could say I'm a bit particular when it comes to sleeping positions, I often tend to twist and turn, spread my legs out etc, and I've found that my mummy bag doesn't quite work the way I want for that - so I just wanted to hear some of your opinions.

I've looked at some of the hammockgear top quilts and had the (stupid) idea of using one as a sort of regular blanket, but at this point I just want someone to shut that theory down because while it may sound like a good idea in theory (in my head), I'm sure it wouldn't work at all. I'm assuming it'd get way too cold because of drafts, and that a gust from the right direction would grab a hold of it and blow the whole thing away because of how light they are.

When it comes to operating temperatures, I'd say between 40-60°F.

I'd love to hear some opinions on this, thanks.
    Last edited by fjneeb; 06-21-2020 at 10:50.

Hammock
    Dutchware Wide Hexon 1.7
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Minifly
    Insulation
    HG Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    beetle buckles
    When I use my Draumr XL I typically sleep with my pancho liner using it as a blanket. I can get down to about 30ish degrees with it. For colder temps I use my HG 10 degree Burrow. It has the zipper foot box so I open it up and use it as a blanket. Never had any issues with coverage with either. Im a side sleeper and turn back and forth all night.

Wind has never been an issue either. With the way the sides come up as well as the way the head and foot end come up, it provides a good bit of protection against wind. I typically have my tarp really close to my hammock so I get good wind coverage there as well.

I think you will be good to use whatever as a blanket in your Draumr XL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." – Douglas Adams

Hammock
    Amok Draumr UL
    Tarp
    Skjold 10 UL
    Insulation
    Fjøl UL
    Wow...I actually didn't know the blanket idea was a thing until now, perhaps I should stop second guessing myself once in a while, hah. Also, I was unaware of the poncho liner but it seems like a great option for warmer temps - do you think the Therm-a-Rest Honcho Poncho will suffice, or does the insulation on them vary a lot? And if you don't mind me asking, what sort of layers are you wearing under the poncho/HG TQ in those ranging temperatures?

Hammock
    WBRR,HENESSEY JUNGLE, ENO 1 link
    Tarp
    ENO PRO, SLD WH
    Insulation
    Igniter and blaze
    Suspension
    Buckles,atlas,ring
    Try a under quilt that has a convertible foot box.

Hammock
    Dutchware Wide Hexon 1.7
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Minifly
    Insulation
    HG Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    beetle buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by fjneeb View Post
    Wow...I actually didn't know the blanket idea was a thing until now, perhaps I should stop second guessing myself once in a while, hah. Also, I was unaware of the poncho liner but it seems like a great option for warmer temps - do you think the Therm-a-Rest Honcho Poncho will suffice, or does the insulation on them vary a lot? And if you don't mind me asking, what sort of layers are you wearing under the poncho/HG TQ in those ranging temperatures?
    The poncho liner I use was from my military days. I haven’t used any other type. The layers I wear is always the same regardless of the outside temp. I am in a tshirt of some sort and my silk bottoms, again a parting gift from the military. They are a thin silk like material. And socks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." – Douglas Adams

Hammock
    Amok Draumr UL
    Tarp
    Skjold 10 UL
    Insulation
    Fjøl UL
    I might try one of those poncho liners in the meantime then as HG has a 9 week backlog right now on their quilts, and possibly another 3 months for shipping on top of that these days depending on the courier.

I'm not an expert on insulation, but I just can't shake the feeling that wearing just a base layer and a poncho liner will get too chilly for me personally, although I assume most of them use the same type of insulation so I might be second guessing myself in the wrong again.

Thanks for the tip though, I appreciate it.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    You could always just use a sleeping bag in quilt mode. Workable on the belly.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Dutch chameleon + Amok draumr XL
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ Bandit 20F
    Suspension
    UCR + SPIDER/POLY
    I have Draumr XL and custom 20F UGQ Bandit TQ.
    TQ works very well as blanket in draumr.
    TQ has zippered footbox and no taper .So you can unwrap it as blanket.
    One side note is draumr have somewhat slippery surface this not good because you can slide, but at same time good for stomach/side sleeping because you can easy change you position and turning in sleep.
    I am dedicated stomach sleeper. 95 % sleep on stomach , 5% side sleeping.Never falls asleep on my back.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr UL
    Tarp
    Skjold 10 UL
    Insulation
    Fjøl UL
    Quote Originally Posted by tazmaniac View Post
    Try a under quilt that has a convertible foot box.
    I assume you mean top quilt, or am I missing something here?

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    You could always just use a sleeping bag in quilt mode. Workable on the belly.
    Shug

Hey Shug, big fan...I've watched more of your videos than I'm scared to admit - so naturally I went and watched those two videos (again) before I made this thread, but they didn't give me exactly what I was looking for to be honest...though I'd chalk that up to me just being a very particular sleeper.

I feel that a sleeping bag can get too restrictive because of how it tapers (even in quilt mode) and how the hood would be awkwardly placed over my head, sort of like a lid over my head if I were to use it as a quilt. I like to get pretty wide when I sleep on my stomach, pretty much as wide as the pad will let me be. That's why I thought a blanket solution would work better for me personally, and the fact that it'll be even one more step closer to the way I sleep at home. Many people who are primarily stomach sleepers at home have said that they have no problems sleeping on the back in a hammock, but unfortunately I haven't had that experience...at least yet anyway.

The issue I can foresee with a blanket solution though is cold spots around the edges of the pad.

Quote Originally Posted by shichimi View Post
    I have Draumr XL and custom 20F UGQ Bandit TQ.
    TQ works very well as blanket in draumr.
    TQ has zippered footbox and no taper .So you can unwrap it as blanket.
    One side note is draumr have somewhat slippery surface this not good because you can slide, but at same time good for stomach/side sleeping because you can easy change you position and turning in sleep.
    I am dedicated stomach sleeper. 95 % sleep on stomach , 5% side sleeping.Never falls asleep on my back.
    Thanks for the added reassurance!

Hammock
    WBRR,HENESSEY JUNGLE, ENO 1 link
    Tarp
    ENO PRO, SLD WH
    Insulation
    Igniter and blaze
    Suspension
    Buckles,atlas,ring
    Yes, I meant top quilt.
    Sorry, I was just having an under quilt discussion before replying to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast