Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by fjneeb View Post
    I assume you mean top quilt, or am I missing something here?

Hey Shug, big fan...I've watched more of your videos than I'm scared to admit - so naturally I went and watched those two videos (again) before I made this thread, but they didn't give me exactly what I was looking for to be honest...though I'd chalk that up to me just being a very particular sleeper.

I feel that a sleeping bag can get too restrictive because of how it tapers (even in quilt mode) and how the hood would be awkwardly placed over my head, sort of like a lid over my head if I were to use it as a quilt. I like to get pretty wide when I sleep on my stomach, pretty much as wide as the pad will let me be. That's why I thought a blanket solution would work better for me personally, and the fact that it'll be even one more step closer to the way I sleep at home. Many people who are primarily stomach sleepers at home have said that they have no problems sleeping on the back in a hammock, but unfortunately I haven't had that experience...at least yet anyway.

The issue I can foresee with a blanket solution though is cold spots around the edges of the pad.

Thanks for the added reassurance!
    I too have problems with cold spots around the edges of a pad. I am restless enough that I fear the pad straps won't do an adequate job, and the Draumr would probably have to be modified to allow them to be used anyway. I am now considering a huge top quilt (over 80" wide) so that I can basically use it as a double wide sleeping bag when I'm really worried about cold drafts.

Anybody else have similar problems, or solutions?

With that said, I guess you could say I'm a bit particular when it comes to sleeping positions, I often tend to twist and turn, spread my legs out etc, and I've found that my mummy bag doesn't quite work the way I want for that - so I just wanted to hear some of your opinions.
    I am not the most experienced here, but your situation sounds pretty similar to me, so I figured that I might tell you what has worked for me, at least:

I normally sleep in-between side and stomach. My lower half is fully "stomach" and my top half has one arm under my pillow and one arm hugging a pillow or something (don't judge). I will toss-and-turn from side to side mirroring this position until I fall asleep. One leg is generally outstretched, and the other may be spread wide or is up a bit to make a P of sorts.

When I hang, I have a Draumr and sleep pretty much the same way. I have a Custom Diamondback topquilt with a zip footbox in 60" width that I *love*. It allows me to have quite a few positions. When it is on the warmer side of your range, I'll use it unzipped as mostly a blanket. I like tucking the top corners into my "hug". When it gets lower, the footbox gets zipped up and I sometimes do one foot in, one foot out. When it is really cold, everything gets buttoned down, the top gets cinched, the back gets taught, box gets closed and I still seem to find a decent amount of room around in there to do what I want.

Coldspots around the pad are definitely a thing, but sometimes I like them, to be honest. If it is really cold though, the cinching of the back of the Diamondback is enough to keep things inside. I will often still creep over the pad, but the top quilt is enough to keep everything inside once cinched.

This is probably convertible to a bunch of other topquilts with zip footboxes. Either way, there is a good bit of flexibility in these things (much more than the typical mummy bag) to adapt to those of us that don't lie on our backs and immediately go under.

Images

Top Quilt Recommend

You can try out onewind top quilt, temperature is applied 35-50 degree, a throw blanket and sleeping bag alternative for groud campers. Here is the amazon link with some discounts https://www.amazon.com/onewind-Topqu.../dp/B07YTH2TS3

I just want to preface this by saying that I haven't gotten to use my Draumr XL a whole lot (yet!), and that my overall hammock experience is pretty low.

With that said, I guess you could say I'm a bit particular when it comes to sleeping positions, I often tend to twist and turn, spread my legs out etc, and I've found that my mummy bag doesn't quite work the way I want for that - so I just wanted to hear some of your opinions.

I've looked at some of the hammockgear top quilts and had the (stupid) idea of using one as a sort of regular blanket, but at this point I just want someone to shut that theory down because while it may sound like a good idea in theory (in my head), I'm sure it wouldn't work at all. I'm assuming it'd get way too cold because of drafts, and that a gust from the right direction would grab a hold of it and blow the whole thing away because of how light they are.

When it comes to operating temperatures, I'd say between 40-60°F.

I'd love to hear some opinions on this, thanks.

Hammock
    Haven tent (soon)
    Tarp
    Hilleberg UL10
    Insulation
    Pad (soon)
    Suspension
    Strap and carabine
    Images
    Hi there.

I had a Draumr before and also a regular hammock, but in both I’ve used sleeping bags as my top cover.

I looked around for some time to find a sleeping bag that was meant for side and belly sleeping, for someone who also is a bit “bigger”…
    I also move around a lot and I found a sleeping bag from mountain hardware, sorry but I have forgotten the model name.

My tiny tip; Look for a sleeping bag, that is meant to be used on the side and belly, and also for a larger wider person. When I found a bag meant to be used like that, oooh man, so nice, worth every penny.
    If you have the possibility to go to a store and try it out, even on the floor, that’s a big bonus, that is what helped me find my bag.

Also use the “head box” part as a place for my arm to curl up and hold my pillow, so my arm will not get cold, my head is then covered and get a nice open space to breathe from.

I like the foot box, but as many do, my legs are the thermostats at night, thus my lower zipper part is open and the upper a bit shallow, so it’s really only meeting in the middle…

Good luck, hope my ramblings helps a bit in your quest! We all have different ways and thus I love this forum, so many tips by great peeps!

Cheers.

Edit:

Forgot to mention, I have to be able to use my sleeping bag in my tents as well, so it took me some research and testing…
    had two other bags before, that worked in tents, but not in a hammock. Tried a blanket style, but for me it was to “floppy” to keep me warm, as my current one kind of “follows” me around and works in my tent and hammocks.
    This is also the one I had in my Draumr, and that’s where the blanket failed for me, ‘cause I’m a bit wider and would easier wake up due to feeling cold where the bag had “not followed me” and left me open to cold spots. That was the same in tents, with the blanket ones, the one I had had to be rated higher, so it became bigger and heavier…

Cheers.
    Last edited by Swedish Charlie; 06-22-2021 at 06:22.

Hammock
    W.B. Elderado
    Tarp
    W.B. Edge
    Insulation
    H.G. Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Dutchbeetles
    Any brand in particular ?

Hammock
    Haven tent (soon)
    Tarp
    Hilleberg UL10
    Insulation
    Pad (soon)
    Suspension
    Strap and carabine
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Snooze_89 View Post
    Any brand in particular ?
    Mountain Hardwear… That’s the brand that have my particular sleeping bag. I’m sorry that I don’t remember the model name.

But it’s a “regular” mummy type of sleeping bag, just made wider and more roomy to move around in, especially for someone, like myself, that has some extra “insulation”

It has down filling, packs down nice and weight is very low. Both things that are key for me, when hiking in the mountains!

Take care and hope you’ll find a good quilt/bag that fits you well.

Cheers

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12