DIY 11' 1.6 HyperD
    Tarp
    DIY 11' 1.1 SilPol
    Insulation
    AHE
    Suspension
    Evo loops baby!

Firmer feel than 1.6 HyperD

I love the feel of my 1.6 HyperD 11' hammock and I'm starting to get dialed in with better sleep. Of course that makes me itchy to change things up. I prefer a firm mattress and I'm wondering if a firmer feel hammock will get me closer to hammock nirvana. I am only 140lbs and short so I'm not restricted on fabric choice but I'm wondering if a double layer 1.0 or 1.6 HyperD will be firmer or should I shoot for the 1.3 MTN? I'm concerned about the 'plasticy' feel of the MTN series but the weight savings are appealing.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    I have three Hyper D 1.6 in various configurations and a Mtn 1.3 netless for winter.
    They are pretty close in stretch with a slight edge going to the Mtn 1.3, though that fabric has a totally different feel. It's kind of crispy feeling, almost like it is calendared. I prefer the 1.6 over the 1.3.

I had a DL DH Raven in Hyper D 1.6 & 1.0. Very firm.. too much for me. Plus I am a backpacker and wouldn't carry that much weight.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    DIY 11' 1.6 HyperD
    Tarp
    DIY 11' 1.1 SilPol
    Insulation
    AHE
    Suspension
    Evo loops baby!
    Thanks MikekiM, I'm trying to get in more backpacking so the weight is a slight concern. I might experiment with a DL 1.0 HyperD for at home/car camping to see if I'm on the right track.

I really like the 1.3. Less stretch than the 1.6 hyperD for me (I'm 150#) and less weight. I like the 1.6 too, but prefer less stretch and less weight. They do feel different, but it doesn't bother me at all. I have a lightweight double layer WBBB, and the 1.3 has less stretch then that, plus weighs 6 oz less.

Hammock
    1.6 hyperD 2.2 hex 1.7 mountain
    Tarp
    9x9 1.1 oz silnylo
    Insulation
    sleeping pad
    Suspension
    whoopy slings
    Images
    The gathered end hammock is not a complex piece of gear. It only gets complex when you factor in the choice of fabrics, and that choice is personal.

To make a test hammock, order 4 yards of each of the 2 fabrics you want to try. 4yds will give you an 11 foot hammock. say you want to try 1.0 hyperD over the 1.6. that would be about $20 each from RBR. Lay the 2 pieces on top of each other, pin them together to keep them oriented, Gather up an end and tie it to your supervention with a sheep bend. I've been using the loop end of a whoopee and giving it an extra wrap. Remove the pins and you have a test hammock.

They are easy to take apart so you can try a different configuration if you don't like it. If you spend $60 or $80 on materials to find the perfect hammock, it's still better than ordering a 2 layer and finding it's not what you want. Also, you might be able to find someone, wife or friend if you don't sew, you can talk into sewing it for you and save even more money. Or maybe you will choose to just use it as is. Hey, as long as it works why change it?

Happy wanderings

Hammock
    The cured intestines of my enemies
    Tarp
    Wing of bat
    Insulation
    Possum fur
    Suspension
    of disbelief
    If you want firmness with light weight, try the MTN 1.7.

Hammock
    DIY 11' 1.6 HyperD
    Tarp
    DIY 11' 1.1 SilPol
    Insulation
    AHE
    Suspension
    Evo loops baby!
    Good point on 'trying it out' without sewing, Double E. I'm pretty comfy doing my own sewing to finish things off. If my math is correct, I can buy the 4 yards, do a test hang or two and then sew it up into channels if I like it. I'm prepping to do some quilt building as soon as my RBTR order comes in, but I will probably want a break to do something simple soon enough.

I have a Chameleon made from 1.7 nylonD.... l weigh in about 68kgs 150 lbs, this fabric feel is silky in texture with much supportiveness, very little stretch.... so in comparison possibly close in texture with 1.6 hyperD only 1.7 nylonD may give to you the answer with firmness....

• + New Posts