Tarp
    Mini/thunder, ugq
    Insulation
    AHE,zenbivy,JRB,HG
    Suspension
    HG UL Daisy chain
    Quote Originally Posted by Swedish Charlie View Post
    Hello.
    I have the XL and have used it a few times, my height is almost 6’2 and weight is around 240 ish.

No problem in fitting inside, plenty of room and nice height inside!
    It’s airy and ventilation with one side open is good, but when both doors are closed, it gets a bit blah for me. You can see in one picture, how my breath has made a dry patch in the tarp! :P

My experience in rain was not good. I will try and reach out to their support, haven’t done so yet… but when it rains, the material “soaks” up water (especially the tarp!?) and the zippers together with the suspension, soaks so much they “infuse” the fabric and eventually it starts to drip from the pockets inside, on the short ends hanging by the ventilation and also from the ridge line inside, not pleasant at all.

I’ve had some other setups before, and been in lots of rain, but this is the first tarp I have used that absorbs water.

Been hiking in the mountains with tents as well, still have not had any similar experience with any tent either… not from the inner or outer fly.
    (Hiking above the tree line, tent it is! Brand of choice, Hilleberg).

A purchase was made of a new tarp, a DD XL… BIG and heavy.. but hopefully it’ll keep me and my hammock / haven tent dry!

Posting some pics, for anyone interested and thank you for your time.

Take care and hang out there!

Best regards, Charlie.

Attachment 190817
    Attachment 190818
    Attachment 190819
    Attachment 190822
    Attachment 190831
    first and foremost… glad to see you posting after being a member since 2014! Welcome!. I have both the regular and xl version. And while I do find them comfortable and neat all in one systems they are not my favorite hammocks currently. I’ve never had issues with the supplied tarps shedding water. I do however have no doubt Derrick at haven will ship you out a replacement. He is fantastic to work with and always does right by his customers. Now that I think about it, I bought the xl without the tarp and always used a warbonnet mini or thunder fly with it. Good luck
    kris

Hello.
    I have the XL and have used it a few times, my height is almost 6’2 and weight is around 240 ish.

No problem in fitting inside, plenty of room and nice height inside!
    It’s airy and ventilation with one side open is good, but when both doors are closed, it gets a bit blah for me. You can see in one picture, how my breath has made a dry patch in the tarp! :P

My experience in rain was not good. I will try and reach out to their support, haven’t done so yet… but when it rains, the material “soaks” up water (especially the tarp!?) and the zippers together with the suspension, soaks so much they “infuse” the fabric and eventually it starts to drip from the pockets inside, on the short ends hanging by the ventilation and also from the ridge line inside, not pleasant at all.

I’ve had some other setups before, and been in lots of rain, but this is the first tarp I have used that absorbs water.

Been hiking in the mountains with tents as well, still have not had any similar experience with any tent either… not from the inner or outer fly.
    (Hiking above the tree line, tent it is! Brand of choice, Hilleberg).

A purchase was made of a new tarp, a DD XL… BIG and heavy.. but hopefully it’ll keep me and my hammock / haven tent dry!

Posting some pics, for anyone interested and thank you for your time.

Take care and hang out there!

Best regards, Charlie.

Attachment 190817
    Attachment 190818
    Attachment 190819
    Attachment 190822
    Attachment 190831
    That doesn't sound right. I've been through light drizzle and pretty heavy rainstorms in my XL and the only time I've got a little wet was when I forgot to batten down one corner of the tarp. Other than that, the tarp has kept me dry. I don't mind the fact that it closes the entire hammock in; it makes it cozy. Contact Derek and get your tarp replaced.

The only other problem I've had is the bug net pulling away from the seam by the zipper in places. Haven has a redesigned bug net that relieves some of the pressure on the seam that prevents if from ripping.

Hammock
    Haven tent (soon)
    Tarp
    Hilleberg UL10
    Insulation
    Pad (soon)
    Suspension
    Strap and carabine
    Images
    Yes, I’m not a great writer in forums and don’t login to often either unfortunately.
    But I have no computer and also am a bit of an introvert at times, thus some camping in non crowded places is very soothing.

I did send them an email, thank you for the encouragement and have a nice summer!

Charlie

Hammock
    Haven tent (soon)
    Tarp
    Hilleberg UL10
    Insulation
    Pad (soon)
    Suspension
    Strap and carabine
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by csewell View Post
    I don't mind the fact that it closes the entire hammock in; it makes it cozy. Contact Derek and get your tarp replaced.

The only other problem I've had is the bug net pulling away from the seam by the zipper in places. Haven has a redesigned bug net that relieves some of the pressure on the seam that prevents if from ripping.
    It is cozy in there, yes I agree, but just wished the vents worked better when closed up.

Have not checked the bug net for these issues, I’ve had my haven since 2021 now, maybe need to check it out.

Thank you for your reply, much appreciated.

Charlie.

Hammock
    Haven tent (soon)
    Tarp
    Hilleberg UL10
    Insulation
    Pad (soon)
    Suspension
    Strap and carabine
    Images
    Ok, I got a reply… and long story short I was told it was just condensation due to the humidity when it rained and the solution given was to add drip lines.

I did send a new mail, trying to explain why I think it’s some sort of issue, but no further response.

I’m not gonna try anymore, they’ve made up their mind and it’s not really like I’m looking for reimbursement or anything… I’d rather just let it go and move on, not worth my time.

I’ll use the Haven for recreational light use only, with a difference tarp and perhaps look into a new set up.

And yes, @csewell, the bug netting has started to rip in certain places, had not checked for it until you mentioned it. Thank you! I’m gonna try a fix some of the tearing and holes.

Do I still recommend it?

I think so… just don’t have to high hopes maybe. Because there seems to be few others with complaints. So perhaps my particular one was just a bit flawed and that’s unfortunate for me. Let’s just say that the odds were not in my favor

Thanks for the support and hang out there! /Charlie.

Images
    Having looked at the photos in your first post, what strikes me is how close to the hammock portion the tarp is. When I camp in wet conditions my tarp will be set well above the hammock ridgeline so even when soggy it won't touch it. I use a DIY 10'x10' tarp with a separate guyline on each end. I use a DIY hammock- I've never seen a Haven tent.

Hammock
    Haven tent (soon)
    Tarp
    Hilleberg UL10
    Insulation
    Pad (soon)
    Suspension
    Strap and carabine
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slugbait View Post
    Having looked at the photos in your first post, what strikes me is how close to the hammock portion the tarp is. When I camp in wet conditions my tarp will be set well above the hammock ridgeline so even when soggy it won't touch it. I use a DIY 10'x10' tarp with a separate guyline on each end. I use a DIY hammock- I've never seen a Haven tent.
    This is just the “Haven” standard setup.
    The tarp clips into the suspension and lies on top the ridge line.

In a more common hammock, I tend to hang the tarp a bit higher.
    And I’m gonna try different ways to use some of my other tarps for the Haven.

Cheers!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    This is just the “Haven” standard setup.
    The tarp clips into the suspension and lies on top the ridge line.

In a more common hammock, I tend to hang the tarp a bit higher.
    And I’m gonna try different ways to use some of my other tarps for the Haven.

Cheers!
    I for sure use my 11x7.5 diy Blackcrow tarp with the Haven. Much more room to work and used to pitching it. Not my style to pin the Haven tarp down tightly like many do.
    Shug

DSC03415.jpg

IMG_5888.jpeg
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Haven tent (soon)
    Tarp
    Hilleberg UL10
    Insulation
    Pad (soon)
    Suspension
    Strap and carabine
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Much more room to work and used to pitching it. Not my style to pin the Haven tarp down tightly like many do.
    Shug
    Yes, agreed to the lack of space. First couple of times, I normally just try out the intended way, to see how it functions and where I might want to do some changes.

The DD XL IS really big, almost a bit too big and sometimes that’s actually really lovely!

IMG_2787.jpg

This time, the wind was really strong and I had to lend out my stronger line to another person, so the line was a bit to weak and I relied more on the Haven setup for support of the tarp.

I do have a few other options, but will see over other systems still, very very curious of WBBB XLC… just need funds!

Take care and hang out there! /Charlie

Hammock
    Dutch Halfwit
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG uq + Down Bag
    Suspension
    DIYwhoops+MuleTape
    Images
    I've tried the Haven Tent XL a few times, all in relatively extreme conditions.
    After putting it through its paces I unfortunately have to say that it wasn't what I was hoping for.

My first impression was, "Wow! There sure are a lot of stuff sacks!"
    Each component seemed to have its own bag. After setting it up I knew I would never remember which part belonged in which sack and the handful of elastic bands to hold them together were all different sizes.
    My addled brain can't remember how to put the puzzle back together.

My maiden run was in northern Michigan for a week of muzzleloader season. Weather was single digits and the wind never dipped below 15mph but was usually around 25-30mph.
    I brought a second tarp with me and I'm sure glad I did!
    I pitched the larger tarp over the whole contraption and the stock Haven tarp acted as more of a bivy or sock which was sort of nice.
    HavenInSnow.jpg

My second trip was a week long kayak trip down the Tennessee River just in early January.
    I had hopes that it would enable me to go to ground if I couldn't find a good place to hang.
    It saw me through but even though it is easier for me to be a side sleeper I found myself missing my underquilt's breathability.

My take aways are that it still seems like the contraption is not in it's final iteration... sort of like something you'd make yourself if you had some sewing skills.
    It is heavy and bulky so not really the best if you have to carry it.
    Condensation is cumulative in cold weather with the impermeable inflatable mattress. Your sweat on night one will be added to night two and so on, being unable to dry it out in freezing weather. By night 4 it is a frost covered wet mess to lay down on.

I've repackaged it into a couple of my own stuff sacks and it is now a back up for when I need to outfit a gaggle of kids for an overnight.
    I really fell in love with the idea of the Haven Tent but I don't feel it lives up to its potential yet.
    I do fully endorse the air pump they sell for the mattress. Even more than inflating, it is awesome for deflating when you are packing up.
    It vacuums the mattress totally flat and makes it possible to reroll it up nice and tight!
    "It's not the man who's catching lots of fish and shooting lots of game who's having fun, it's the chap who's getting ready to do it."
    ~Horace Kephart

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast