Hammock
    gathered end dutchware
    Tarp
    hennesy hex
    Insulation
    AHE new river
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

Hooks on my hammock… what are these for ??

IMG_0692.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@chansta,

I think they are for running your Underquilt suspension through. Keeps the UG from shifting/sliding. If thats a Dream Hammock, I think they have a picture or video on their website. Ive got a Dream Hammock Raven and they have those underquilt hooks. I never use them though.

I just took a look at Dream Hammock. It looks like some people also use those hooks to tie off the hammock to stakes in the gound. Im not sure what that brings to the game as I would think that would impede your UQ from enveloping you in downy goodness.

I would reach out to the Hammock Manufacturer and ask what the hooks are for. Ill be watching this thread to learn some things. Please post what you find out.

Be warm.

Bob
    Last edited by Draketake; 01-20-2024 at 13:26.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    chansta - you didn't mention what hammock you have. Dutch from Dutchware has a YouTube video showing various under quilt suspension setups. In that, the hammock clips on his gear can hook on the UQ suspension to provide lift. The video describes the setup of the primary, secondary, and end cinch adjustments for best UQ fit.

I think this is it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0UBVPRjV1I
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Images
    If they are closer to the gathered ends of the hammock than where your head or feet would be when you're in it, then they are most likely UQ suspension hooks. They don't provide any extra lift, but I think in theory they are supposed to prevent the UQ from slipping off your shoulder, to keep it underneath you. That's not a problem I've ever had, and like Draketake, I've never found any use for them.

If their position is more aligned with where your head/shoulder or feet would be, then they are probably meant for tie outs. I occasionally will set those up using shock cord to the tarp stakes. I only use 2 of them: the one by my head and the one by my feet. A symmetrical hammock might have 4, but I've never used them all. They do a nice job of keeping the hammock open when you're not in it, which can be kind of nice when you're putting your TQ in as well as when you're getting in the hammock. Having the foot end tied out can also function a bit like a Knotty mod, taming the loose fabric, and at the head end it can help keep the bugnet off your face. I've never found them to interfere with an UQ fitting properly. But they are one more thing to set up and 2 more lines to carry, so you can decide whether they would fit with your particular camping style.

• + New Posts