DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    LL-40/HG 0
    Suspension
    Becket hitch!

UP insulation!

Question. Does this hold up to being wet like synthetic would? I back pack with my dogs and there is little to no option for a pack-able quilt for dogs, especially when they are large dogs. And they always seem to get things wet or damp. I understand that the material would probably not hold up to dogs toenails, but I will cross that bridge when I come to it.

And please do not tell me that Ruffwear will take care of my needs, because I have their stuff and my dogs are to big for it!
    To only step where others have stepped means not to have your own adventures. Live, Love, and Adventure so you may leave your own foot prints!

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch 12' Winter
    Insulation
    CRO, J'R'B
    Suspension
    Dutch web/ beetle
    Here are some videos from CRO - Cedar Ridge Outdoors about UP insulation. I place my order last week for 2 quilts top and under both made from UP insulation due to living in Florida. I have talked to CRO at the last 2 Hangcon events and they have sold me on UP.

Water absorbance.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=SrI5N4caa7A&showsearch=0">http://youtube.com/watch?v=SrI5N4caa7A&showsearch=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

Packable.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=T0PYxh3g-NU&showsearch=0">http://youtube.com/watch?v=T0PYxh3g-NU&showsearch=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    "Does this hold up to being wet like synthetic would?"

It, in fact, is synthetic. So yes.

Please know that I have not used it but I do trust Dutch's endorsement, and that of a few others who use it.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    I tried it in an insulated hammock, and it does what I wanted. That is, it's synthetic, like Primaloft, so it works better than down when damp, and it's a loose fill that expands to fill the space better than a mat type insulation like Primaloft or Climashield. I don't know if it's more or less compressible than other synthetics, but I suspect it compresses as well or better. I'd use it in an insulated dog hammock where it can fully expand.
    -----
    I couldn't find the CRO videos on their site, but Dutch gives you a look at it here.
    Last edited by WV; 06-21-2020 at 07:37.

I was able to locate the CRO videos along with a couple of HF threads. Links below:

Down and UP Synthetic Insulation Comparison
    UP Synthetic Compression Comparison
    UP Synthetic Insulation VS Down: A Fight to the Death
    Water with down, DownTEK, and UP insulation

As you'd expect, the UP does well in the with the water test. Where I was suprised was the compression test. The UP insulation did better than I anticapated. I think this is a great option for a newbie looking to prototype designs, aka me, before moving to a more expensive goose down for the final product.

• + New Posts