Looking for Suggestions for low mileage, 3 day trip with fishing

I put this in the South East sub forum as well since I'm open to those locations as well. If this isn't ok, please delete one.

Good Day all! It's been a while since I've posted on these forums, but couldn't think of a better place to get trip ideas. My family is currently in the process of packing up our house and moving after a long period of being holed for the Pandemic. Long story short, we've missed a few annual trips the last few months and my son and I are itching to get out. I'm looking for a 3 day trip with low mileage and am looking for something that will have fishing opportunities. My 11 year old just received his arrow of light before the pandemic and just finished reading "Hatchet" and "My Side of the Mountain". He is locked on to doing a "survival" trip. I am locked on to taking him on a much needed father son solo trip. I've been planning on either doing Grayson Highlands or Dolly Sods prior to him expressing his fishing desires. I'd like to keep the mileage short. A short hike in and out on days 1 and 3 with maybe 5-6 miles on day 2 with access to some fishing. My boy really wants to catch our own dinner on the main day.

I'm located in Southern Ohio and am open to traveling anywhere up to a 4-6 hour radius of 45601. Up for hammock and tent options. Thanks in advance for the ideas!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    HG TQ / UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    It may be a little too far out of your travel zone, but two trips I've taken are as close as I know to what you may be looking for. Both are in Michigan.

The Manistee River Trail is a loop that follows the Manistee River. Its a beautiful, relatively easy hike -- as best as I remember.

Also North Manitou Island. A ferry shuttles you to the island and returns a few days later to drop off a new batch of "victims" and return you to civilization. The second time I went to NMI was with my sons and we still talk about the great memories we made. As long as you treat all exterior clothing, shelters and backpacks with permetherin, this can be a great trip. Its part of the Sleeping Bear Dunes National Park system, so I'm not 100% on what is going on with them right now.

Even if these trips aren't for you right now, maybe take a look at them for a future hike.

Good Luck!

Hammock
    Wbbb xlcj
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    H.G top and under
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch bugs
    Thought about Cranberry Wilderness in WVA.? I think that place has trout streams.
    visualize whirled peas.

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    There is also the Red River Gorge Area and Clifty Wilderness in KY. Not sure how the fishing is but there are pools so I would expect the usual Mid-west stream fish.

Thanks Guys, I'll check those out.

• + New Posts