Looking for Suggestions for low mileage, 3 day trip with fishing

Good Day all! It's been a while since I've posted on these forums, but couldn't think of a better place to get trip ideas. My family is currently in the process of packing up our house and moving after a long period of being holed for the Pandemic. Long story short, we've missed a few annual trips the last few months and my son and I are itching to get out. I'm looking for a 3 day trip with low mileage and am looking for something that will have fishing opportunities. My 11 year old just received his arrow of light before the pandemic and just finished reading "Hatchet" and "My Side of the Mountain". He is locked on to doing a "survival" trip. I am locked on to taking him on a much needed father son solo trip. I've been planning on either doing Grayson Highlands or Dolly Sods prior to him expressing his fishing desires. I'd like to keep the mileage short. A short hike in and out on days 1 and 3 with maybe 5-6 miles on day 2 with access to some fishing. My boy really wants to catch our own dinner on the main day.

I'm located in Southern Ohio and am open to traveling anywhere up to a 4-6 hour radius of 45601. Up for hammock and tent options. Thanks in advance for the ideas!

Hammock
    Grand trunk double
    Tarp
    Henessy Hex fly
    Insulation
    Hammock gear/ UGQ
    Suspension
    whoopie
    The cranberry glades Backcountry has an excellent trout steam, easy old forest road to walk, and shelters along the way. Another option in west virginia is Seneca Creek Backcountry. Catch and release only though. Be prepared for loads of people though. With everything shut down these places have become hot spots.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBRR,HENESSEY JUNGLE, ENO 1 link
    Tarp
    ENO PRO, SLD WH
    Insulation
    Igniter and blaze
    Suspension
    Buckles,atlas,ring
    They have kayak and camping platform trips on the Roanoke river. On my bucket for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by jhymes View Post
    The cranberry glades Backcountry has an excellent trout steam, easy old forest road to walk, and shelters along the way. Another option in west virginia is Seneca Creek Backcountry. Catch and release only though. Be prepared for loads of people though. With everything shut down these places have become hot spots.

Are there hiking trails as well as the forest roads? I'll check it out. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by tazmaniac View Post
    They have kayak and camping platform trips on the Roanoke river. On my bucket for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    That sounds great. He's a big fan of canoe camping. #NoWalking #LazyPre-Teens

Hammock
    Grand trunk double
    Tarp
    Henessy Hex fly
    Insulation
    Hammock gear/ UGQ
    Suspension
    whoopie
    I'd say there are at least 50 miles of trails in each location or more.

• + New Posts