Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images

Lighter Weight Hammock Options

I've been pretty happy with my SLD Trail Lair & Chameleon Hexon 1.6 hammocks but am looking at lighter weight options for my 2-3 season backpacking adventures. At 210 lbs. and am right at the limit of some posted fabric's comfort rating specs. Based on estimated weight savings by moving to lighter fabric options, I estimate I can shave ~ 5-7 oz., maybe even a little more.

I don't have any experience with lighter weight fabric options like Hexon 1.0, Mtn 1.3 & others but so far, the Dutchware Half-Wit looks promising but I wonder how forgiving the Hexon 1.0 is concerning weight limits & stretch. For those in the know & who have experience with the Half-Wit Hexon 1.0 or other lighter weight hammock options from Dream, SLD & others, chime in with your thoughts & comments.

Help a brutha out!

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Hexon 1.0 would be very stretchy at your weight. I'm a bit below you and find it too stretchy. Plus, 1.0 fabrics have been known to fail at your weight. The MTN fabrics inherently have much less stretch and at 1.3oz will support more weight safely.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Personally, I don't think the hammock material is a serious consideration from a weight perspective, i.e. there just isn't enough difference to warrant a decision based on oz./yard. Fabric comfort or fabric longevity, or abuse resistance are important criteria. These have a lot to do with how big you are and your overall camping style.

I cant say what you will like, but I've been super impressed with the 1.3 mtn. You will certainly save some ounces going that way, and if you like the hexon 1.6, the 1.3 mtn will have more stretch, but nothing like the 1.o hexon. I think the 1.3 is between the 1.6 hyperd and the 1.6 hexon, stretch wise, but I only weigh 150.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    SLD Hex
    Insulation
    SLD Trail Winder
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Is 1.3MTN comfortable? I've heard it's kind of slippery/plasticky. I'm wondering if it'll feel sticky in muggy weather? What about 1.1oz Monolite? I've seen one catastrophic failure on this site but Dream Hammock seems to make them fairly frequently.

I really like the 1.3 mtn. I would not describe it as sticky or plasticky, but all of us percieve these things differently. I also prefer to sleep in full length pj's, so that mostly keeps my skin off whatever material I am using. Feels very similar to WB dream tex, imo.

At 190# I'm comfy with a range of fabrics so far.

I have a 1.0 something from SLD and I find it very comfortable for sleeping with my head flat or slightly tilted back. I find it less comfy for reading or lounging because tilting my head forward isn't quite right combined with the stretch.

I have a Dream Hammock in 1.3 MTN that to me feels as firm as my hexon 1.6 hexon, maybe even my hexon 1.7. I do find the 1.3 MTN a little plasticky, but it doesn't bother me.

I find the hexon 1.6 and 1.7 versatile and a nice middle ground.

I love the feel of Dreamtex and find it about as firm as hexon.

I find myself wanting to give HyperD a try. Monolite, too.

Off topic, maybe, but my favorite hammock is a Mayan. More stretch than my camping hammocks, but ultra even support, even under my knees. No calf ridge ever, no hyper extension at all because the strings and open cells conform so incredibly well. The open cells are amazing - spacious, roomy, no squeeze at all. (And I do get squeeze in a 72"wide hexon hammock.) I keep hoping someone will develop a camping hammock with those same characteristics.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• + New Posts